Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I am making a "proper" release for the V88 for R3 as many reported R2 was severely botched (our sincere apologies went out).

This is actually going to be based on a seriously cleaned up and hopefully more stable version of OMA's rom (many thanks to him for the base materials to work with).

The big thing I liked about OMA's rom was:

-init.d support
-more usb peripheral support
-4.1 style launcher

The things I didn't like:

-Stability issues due to bad overclock
-CWM built-in which makes for a complex install and instability
-Botched parameter file leading to corrupted nand on first flash
-Too many extraneous apps (ex. nova launcher, chrome, mx player, music, etc.)
-Overly large system partition at 4 Gb (2 Gb has never been insufficient for me and I hate to take that away from the internal storage...)
-Build.prop spoof to Nexus 7 which uses a Tegra 3, not a great idea for those games that download data based on build.prop info. You may get files you don't want and have more app compatibility issues.

Anyhow, I think I have fixed most of the above issues. As the Kernel was unchanged from stock in the ONA rom (from what I could tel) as was most of the other base stuff I felt it was okay to re-brand as TNT and give an attribution here to OMA and anywhere else it is posted.

Typical TNT changes abound otherwise:
- Wallpaper and boot animation
- Build.prop change to SGS III
- Rooted
- ES File Explorer added
- 2 Gb System Partition
- Added Multi-User support
- I did leave the following apps: full!screen, Pimp My Rom, USB Host Controller, Viper4Android

Anyhow, I am flashing now. After I have tested for a few hours I will upload.

Regards,

Roman

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 UPDATE 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Okay folks, the download page is now up!

DOWNLOAD HERE: http://www.rockchipfirmware.com/node/199

Enjoy!

From that page:

This is heavily based on OMA's excellent 4.3 rom, which is built on SDK 2.0 stock firmware for the Chuwi V88. See the page for that firmware here: http://crewrktablets.arctablet.com/?wpfb_dl=769

This rom was tested on the bluetooth, 2 Gb version of the V88 tablet. All others are welcome to flash but do so with care/caution.

Mix of Features (pulled partly from OMA's description with my changes at the bottom)

- latest kernel #102
- TabletUI (nearly identical to the 4.1 UI which I find preferable as it give more screen real-estate which is important on a 7.9" device)
- ethernet support
- init.d support
- USB-Hub enabled
- gamepad compatible (PS2, XBox, ...)
- kernel modules (cifs, tun, lan, serial, audio)
- latest hosts, su, su-binary, busybox

TNT Changes:

-CWM removed to improve stability, Standard (non-interactive) recovery enabled
-init.d overclock scripts removed to improve stability (not sure if it made a difference in clock but the rom seems quite stable)
-Added Multi-user support (didn't seem to be enabled in OMA's original rom)
-Fixed partition file so no more corrupted NAND storage after flash
-Changed to SGS III in build.prop (rather than Nexus 7) as the Exynos chipset used in the SGS III uses the same GPU and is a much closer match as far as chipsets go vs the Tegra 3.
-Standard "settings" bar restored. I like it a lot more as it is more compact
-Removed a bunch of extra apps (removed NOVA launcher) that had been added in my OMA. Kept the following: Full!screen, Viper DSP, PimpMyRom, reboot menu
-Added ES File Explorer
-Added secondary gallery with Picasa online album support (cloud image storage)
-Default language set to English, Timezone EST
-Rom is STANDARD FLASHABLE - Just plug you device into your computer and use the RKflash tool version 1.6 to put it into firmware update mode (you may have to load drivers if you have never flashed before), load the image file (after extracting from zip) and flash it. First boot is really slow so don't worry.

Impressions from me thus far:
- Best app compatibility of any ROM on ANY device I have ever used
- Best all-around performance of any ROM on ANY device I have ever used

smithmal edit: for noobs to firmware upgrade procedure, flashing this ROM is identical to firmware upgrade flashing. Specific procedures for this can be found in natbytes website located here. The only change is don't use the RKBatchtool v1.7 mentioned in his website (as it has, or may have a nasty virus associated with it), use the RKBatchtool v1.6 which can be found on Rockchipfirmware.com (found here).

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am making a "proper" release for the V88 for R3 as many reported R2 was severely botched (our sincere apologies went out).

This is actually going to be based on a seriously cleaned up and hopefully more stable version of OMA's rom (many thanks to him for the base materials to work with).

The big thing I liked about OMA's rom was:

-init.d support
-more usb peripheral support
-4.1 style launcher

The things I didn't like:

-Stability issues due to bad overclock
-CWM built-in which makes for a complex install and instability
-Botched parameter file leading to corrupted nand on first flash
-Too many extraneous apps (ex. nova launcher, chrome, mx player, music, etc.)
-Overly large system partition at 4 Gb (2 Gb has never been insufficient for me and I hate to take that away from the internal storage...)
-Build.prop spoof to Nexus 7 which uses a Tegra 3, not a great idea for those games that download data based on build.prop info. You may get files you don't want and have more app compatibility issues.

Anyhow, I think I have fixed most of the above issues. As the Kernel was unchanged from stock in the ONA rom (from what I could tel) as was most of the other base stuff I felt it was okay to re-brand as TNT and give an attribution here to OMA and anywhere else it is posted.

Typical TNT changes abound otherwise:
- Wallpaper and boot animation
- Build.prop change to SGS III
- Rooted
- ES File Explorer added
- 2 Gb System Partition
- Added Multi-User support
- I did leave the following apps: full!screen, Pimp My Rom, USB Host Controller, Viper4Android

Anyhow, I am flashing now. After I have tested for a few hours I will upload.

Regards,

Roman
Hi Roman first of all thanks for your work. I own a CHuwi V88S Oma's ROMs do work on the v88s.
Will your TNT rom work also on the V88S?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Roman first of all thanks for your work. I own a CHuwi V88S Oma's ROMs do work on the v88s.
Will your TNT rom work also on the V88S?
I am not sure
- No way to know for sure without testing.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am not sure
- No way to know for sure without testing.
OK if I dare to flash my v88s with your rom(and i say IF
) And the tablet bricks...
Will i be able to revive it?

What made OMA so sure he can say i can for his ROM to my v88s without a problem.
quote; OMA:"It doesn't matter which Chuwi V88 or V88s it is. The 3.0.36+ kernel will detect the hardware right".

And it does cause i've flashed and am running OMAs rom (with same freezing issues on 1.6MHZ as lots of V88 (without the s )users.

Why would your ROM not work on V88S?
Whats different from OMA's ROM compared to yours that makes u not sure it will work on the v88S?

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Roman,

Thanks for your development. Very excited about your upcoming ROM.

Quick Question. Regarding Oma's ROM and the statement "Stability issues due to bad overclock." any idea specifically why stability issues exist with Oma's ROM? Does your ROM run stable at 1.6Ghz?

Thanks,

smithmal

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@smithmal

-Overclock to 1.6 Ghz was causing reset/freeze issues for a lot of folks according to the thread. My guess is it might have to do with voltage not being increased to compensate for the increased clockspeed but as a general rule I don't overclock at all as I am just no knowledgeable enough to do it safely and I prefer to keep my battery life
. All I did was simply remove the init.d script that setting the clock to 1.6 ghz. All that being said, I am testing right now and according to elixir the clock is still set to scale up to 1.6 ghz
. Although I am not sure how to test if it will actually still hit that or not. I might have to go in and modify the script to forcibly set the clock back to 1.4 or 1.5 Ghz/core and see if that makes a difference.

I might just try running the rom for a bit and running the unreal engine test a few times through and see how it goes. I would imagine that stresses the proc pretty well. I prefer a 1.4 Ghz clock personally for battery life however if 1.6 Ghz is stable I don't mind leaving it. There were several complaints about devices freezing up though and lowering the clock apparently fixed it.

Regards,

Roman

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
ALSO...

I need to be more fair to OMA. His original rom really kicks arse. He did modify several things beyond just adding some apps. Init.d support is a very nice touch and something I have never had much luck implementing myself, furthermore getting rid of the darn top bar was also nice. I was just surprised by a few odd little things, like the partition file not being adapted for the larger system image and the use of the Nexus 7 for the build.prop. That being said, maybe using a device in your build.prop with a different GPU isn't as much of a problem as it used to be. There may be more done under the hood than I even realize so please realize I am not trying to undercut at all. I just prefer things a different way and I think a lot of folks are of the same mind, they don't necesarrily need CWM and an OC'd proc. Just my 2-cents. Anyhow, the ROM I put out wouldn't exist in it's current form if not for his work.

Regards,

Roman

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OMA must have really fixed some other stuff in this rom! Market compatibility is the best I have seen on the V88 thus far and that is using the SGS III based build.prop. =)

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know if it is running up to a full 1.6 Ghz or not. I am pulling 47 FPS in Citadel though and have run it 3x over without a freeze up so I think as far as clockspeed goes it is stable. I am going to upload the image and will provide a link in a bit.

Regards,

Roman

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
My $0.02 about spoofing the Nexus...

It opens up as many app options as possible. Granted some may not be compatible with the v88 due to it's SoC, but at least you have the ability to DL and try it out.

I do have a question though:
If you spoof a tablet that is more compatible to your tablet would the user have access to apps/games that are more compatible than not (i.e. Game title: "Example#1" when tablet is spoofed to the Nexus 7 defaults to showing the "Exampl#1" game in the Play Store which is Nexus 7 compatible vs. when tablet spoofed to SGSIII the Play Store shows the same game but the version is specifically compatible with the SGSIII version. If this is the case it would make sense to spoof models with SoCs closer/more compatible with your tablet/phone model.

smithmal

ps - you should be able to monitor the clock speeds when running of all your CPU cores during benchmarking using the "CPU Tweaker" app which is included in the later Oma Rocks builds (and of course in the Play Store).

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Notes on install and performance

1. Had issues with install. Using RKBatchtool everything seemed to go well. Noted the RKbatchtool properly loading image and checking the image. The tablet then booted into recovery system 4.2.01 briefly and rebooted once again. From there tablet got stuck on bootup screen "PAD Mini A9 4x." Rebooted table and tab was still stuck on the same boot up screen
2. Started RKBatchtool, shut down tablet, put tablet into flash mode (hold down volume + and then plug in via microUSB) noted #1 box was green in color (therefore "Switch" command unnecessary), pressed "Restore" and allowed image to be loaded and checked by the RKBatchtool. The tablet booted into the recovery system 4.2.01 briefly then rebooted. Tablet loaded TNT rev3 fine after that.

Note: tablet should be rebooted after initial install. Use Viper4Android to boost volume

Antutu Benchmark:

RAM: 2857
CPU Integer: 4226
CPU Float: 3643
2D Graphics: 1479
3D Graphics: 4123
Database ID: 565
SDcard write: 77
SDcard read: 204

Running tablet @ 1.6Ghz (set using No Frills). So far no freezes or crashes.

smithmal

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Notes on install and performance

1. Had issues with install. Using RKBatchtool everything seemed to go well. Following batch tool loading image and checking image tablet booted into recovery system 4.2.01 briefly then rebooted. From there tablet stuck on bootup screen "PAD Mini A9 4x." Rebooted table and tab still stuck on boot up screen
2. Started RKBatchtool, shut down tablet, put tablet into flash mode (hold down volume + and then plug in via microUSB) noted #1 box was green in color (therefore "Switch" command unnecessary), pressed "Restore" and allowed image to be loaded and checked. Tablet booted into recovery system 4.2.01 briefly then rebooted. Tablet loaded TNT rev3 fine after that.

Note: tablet should be rebooted after initial install. Use Viper4Android to boost volume

Antutu Benchmark:

RAM: 2857
CPU Integer: 4226
CPU Float: 3643
2D Graphics: 1479
3D Graphics: 4123
Database ID: 565
SDcard write: 77
SDcard read: 204

Running tablet @ 1.6Ghz (set using No Frills). So far no freezes or crashes.

smithmal
Oddly enough the very first time I flashed this last rom image (there were like 4 in-between ones...) it froze on me while in the recovery environment portion of the flash process. I had to do as you did (volume + -plug in usb- power button) and when I reflashed the 2nd time I had no issues at all. I chocked it up to just one bad flash and as it was easily remedied I quickly forgot about it.

Regarding prop-mod tactics. Gameloft in particular was a bad offender in that rather than following open standards they would code for specific GPU's (PowerVR most commonly as they were/are an apple developer). The main difference is the texture compression methods I think? Anyhow, if you get the "powerVR" or "tegra" version of a game and are running a Mali-400 GPU, it may or may not run and it can look rather poor. Optimally, you want to get the version meant for the Mali-400 if possible, so picking a chipset that has a Mali-400 to emulate makes sense.

--NOW--

Someone else recently told me that App developers have moved away from using the build.prop to gather this kind of info on the system and most apps are prop agnostic. I am not sure if this is true or not but it would make more sense. The idea of having an "accepted" list of android devices really limits your app as there are simply just SO many different android devices now it is better to gather info on the system other ways if possible.

Regards,

Roman

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
@Smithmal

ALSO,

I saw your update to my main post regarding flashing procedures.

Thank you
That will be helpful...

Why don't I use RKbatch 1.7? (This question may be asked...)

It is actually quite simple. I downloaded a copy of RKBatch 1.7 and I got one of the nastiest polymorphic trojan viruses I have ever had on my PC. So apparently there is a very bad copy of RKbatch 1.7 floating around and I am afraid now to mess with it. 1.6 seems to work just fine so I have stuck with it. The Batch tools on our site (rockchipfirmware) should be safe.

Regards,

Roman

EDIT: I THINK I got my RKbatch version 1.7 tool FROM that site (that smithmal linked in my post). If that is the case I would urge caution. I might be mistaken though and it may have come packaged with another Rom. If someone wouldn't mind doing some virus scans on that package that would be good. I believe Microsoft Security Essentials found the "virut" virus which I think is a polymorphic rootkit/trojan.

EDIT2: I downloaded the RKbatch 1.7 tool from that site. I scanned it with MSE and it isn't finding anything however I still am not comfortable running the executable because I just can't remember where I got the file from originally (probably packaged with other firmware). Most likely though it is safe. Regards.

Regards,

Roman

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Roman,

I had to re-install my whole operating system after using the v1.7 batchtool so I'd stay as far away from it as possible. I think some virus scanners find something lurking in that tool, but others find nothing. Either way, v1.6 does the job so I see no reason to try and find a clean copy. The v1.7 that natbyte has linked on his page came straight from Chuwi.

Since we both had boot freezes during the install of the ROM, I'd say there's something going on. Luckily, the portion of the bootloader that allows the tablet to go into flash mode is not corrupted following a first install crash so it's possible to re-flash the ROM without issue. At the time I was dreading that the TNT ROM was hardware specific (as early version of the Oma Rocks ROM was) and that I had soft bricked the tablet, but since you also have seen this there may be an install glitch with this ROM.

Regardless, it loads up fine during the follow-up install and seems very snappy running at 1.6Ghz. I loaded up XBMC and streamed some HD vids without issue. I'll check out the BT functionality tonight. I had one crash of the tablet when updating XBMC repositories, but that's about it.

I also noted that the OS is in the TabletUI form which I'm happy about. My only request if you intend to create a v4 of this ROM is there's still a nagging issue with screen rotation for certain apps (specifically ones that default to landscape mode). They will cause the screen to automatically rotate 180 so that the tablet needs to be held upside down when using it. Not a deal breaker, but I thought I'd mention it. This was also present in Oma's v4.3 ROM.

smithmal

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Roman,

I had to re-install my whole operating system after using the v1.7 batchtool so I'd stay as far away from it as possible. I think some virus scanners find something lurking in that tool, but others find nothing. Either way, v1.6 does the job so I see no reason to try and find a clean copy. The v1.7 that natbyte has linked on his page came straight from Chuwi.

Since we both had boot freezes during the install of the ROM, I'd say there's something going on. Luckily, the portion of the bootloader that allows the tablet to go into flash mode is not corrupted following a first install crash so it's possible to re-flash the ROM without issue. At the time I was dreading that the TNT ROM was hardware specific (as early version of the Oma Rocks ROM was) and that I had soft bricked the tablet, but since you also have seen this there may be an install glitch with this ROM.

Regardless, it loads up fine during the follow-up install and seems very snappy running at 1.6Ghz. I loaded up XBMC and streamed some HD vids without issue. I'll check out the BT functionality tonight. I had one crash of the tablet when updating XBMC repositories, but that's about it.

I also noted that the OS is in the TabletUI form which I'm happy about. My only request if you intend to create a v4 of this ROM is there's still a nagging issue with screen rotation for certain apps (specifically ones that default to landscape mode). They will cause the screen to automatically rotate 180 so that the tablet needs to be held upside down when using it. Not a deal breaker, but I thought I'd mention it. This was also present in Oma's v4.3 ROM.

smithmal
I noted the annoying screen rotation issue as well. Does anyone know if that was/is present in stock? It is annoying as it makes it so some benchmarks won't run (vallermo balks...)

PS - I had to do a complete wipe,format,reformat,windows reinstall after using RKbatch 1.7 and getting that ridiculous virus.
. It must only be detected after you run the RKbatch.exe itself. I wasn't going to do that this time... Polymorph viruses (if my understanding is correct) are quite good at not being detected.

I need a few more people to flash before I chock it up to being a bug with flash =). It is just so odd that it worked the second time around but not the first? The other odd thing is that none of the subsequent versions of the rom leading up to the final image had the freeze on first flash issue and I didn't change anything outside of the system.img so the flash process shouldn't have been affected. It might have gotten a glitch during compile/compression into a single image? I have had this kind of thing happen before but normally it just means the image is completely bad.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My install went smoothly. I connected the tab with power off and volume key pressed. I didn't know there was any other way to do it.

I did have the same problem with USB storage mode that I've had with all versions of OMA's ROM. The driver appeared to be correctly installed in device manager and the two volumes appeared under drives but I couldn't access the drives in Windows Explorer. Also I didn't get the enable USB notification to tap.

This time I didn't give up and after restarting both the tab and the pc a couple of times USB worked as expected. Still not sure what is different about the OMA ROM as regards USB.

On a side note, while the newer tablet UI is certainly preferable to the phablet version I had to install Nova launcher to get rid of the dock and the distracting Google search widget.

Unfortunately Flip board still doesn't work in portrait mode. I think it's because the Chuwi resolution is not standard for Android.

Thanks again, Roman.

Sent from my Chuwi V88 using Tapatalk HD.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello Roman, great job. The Oma has released version 5, I think, it would be interesting to throw this based on version 5 instead of 4.3?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Roman,

I have my Chuwi for about 2 months now, still running on the stock 4.1.1 it was shipped with. Very pleased with the tablet, apart from the awful Wifi performance.
I would like to install your ROM, but here comes my stupid question: everywhere I look on forums people need to install RKBatch to install drivers and so on. I am working with a iMac on OS X 10.7.5 and as far as I know I cannot open those rar files...Perhaps I don't need the drivers?

Thanks,
Luc

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the various feedback

@ iColtro
I didn't realize OMA had a version 5 rom out. Do you have a link?

@ luccrul
Based on my experience with the Chuwi V88, I have found Wifi to be roughly on par with my iPhone 4s. Speaking of Apple, my iPhone 4s feels laggy by comparison to the V88 (I was quite surprised, it is the first and only (and most likely last..) i-Device I have ever owned). Particularly data speed/downloads and app installs take an AGE and a day... Even on just a pure wifi connection so I know it isn't my carrier speed. Anyhow, I digress... My 2-cents is that Android 4.2 kicks iOS arse...

@ Everyone
I would expect similar issues to crop up from OMA's rom to my own as it was somewhat of a direct port aside from the various changes I listed out. I think the screen flip issue might be related to a system file/driver however I don't know if OMA is using a modified file or the one from stock... If someone could verify whether or not this issue is present in the stock ware that would be most helpful, I just don't have the time unfortunately to track down the issue

Personally for me, the fuller tablet interface + the excellent market access, init.d, etc. was worth the trade-off of building off of OMA's rom.

@ Luc

Short answer... find a quasi-tech-savvy friend with a Windows computer. Unfortunately I don't know of any good work-arounds for doing a firmware flash from a Mac
. I am just not that familiar with MacOS.

Rar/Zip/Gz/etc. are just file compression/archive formats. Getting the files extracted from their archive containers is the least of your worries. Let me try to draw out how flashing should work at a very high-level which may be of help in understanding:

Windows Computer + RKbatch tool ---> Communicates with Tablet via USB Cable, the tablet is in a special "firmware flash mode" and not just running normally.

the "--->" in the above would be the software driver. That is what enables the communication over the USB connection between Tablet and Computer. Without having a software driver to explain to both devices how they need to talk to one another you can't push the firmware image from the RKbatch tool to your tablet for flashing.

Typically, flash process actually works something like this... (I think...)...

1. Rkbatch performs a low-level format of your devices storage - erasing everything
2. RKbatch tool then copies/transfers the firmware .img file from the computer to the tablet
3. RKbatch tool then checks the integrity of the .img file on the tablet to make sure there were no errors during the transfer.
4. RKbatch tool signals the recovery environment/software on the tablet to actually start the process of installing the firmware
--- At this point RKbatch is done ---
5. Tablet recovery then opens the image file and further partitions out the tablet storage based on the partition file (included in the firmware image file)
6. Tablet recovery then copies the data into the various storage partitions and initiates a device boot

That is the 'gist of it I think...

The danger in running something like CWM is that you are mucking about with that "tablet recovery" software/firmware. You are replacing it with a more "full featured" recovery environment. The problem is, if it goes badly, it can be hard to fix (i.e. you can end up with a "bricked" device). Most tablets these days though are very difficult even then to "hard-brick" though. My guess is that a safe and un-alterable copy of the original recovery environment is stored somewhere and there are ways to cause the tablet to revert back to that. Anyhow, the latter bit of all of this is just speculation on my part...

Hope that is of some help.

Regards,

Roman

1 - 20 of 48 Posts