Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Placeholder for now but PiPo appears to have release a new version of the base firmware for the Chinese market (FINALLY!) as of the 17th of December. I am downloading it now and will get to cracking on developing Release 4 for the M1. I have "honed" my mods a bit as of late and dropped a few things and added a few things... Here is what you can expect (you might not like all of it...)

1. No more WiFi range extending app

2. Root Explorer installed by default

3. Swapped out those bloody awful sharp keyboard noises with the ones from Cyanogen mod (they sound MUCH nicer)

4. Changed the default background to one of our pretty HD branded ones. If you hate it you can change it.

5. Set the default browser homepage to TNT's google search page (searches on this page support us (pay us a small bit), if you hate it, you can also change it but we appreciate anyone that does give it a go).

6. Permissions changes have been "refined" a bit. No more replacing the stock permissions files. Only adding missing permissions files.

7. Gameloft Framework.jar fix integrated from the start of things.

All the other good things stick... No Chinese apps, English set by default, build.prop mods, root, etc.

15 minutes more and the new stock firmware will be downloaded so I can work on it.

EDIT: Why all the branding? A.) We offer it for free, we are going to do some fairly non-invasive advertising. B.) The bigger reason, it discourages Chinese vendors from stealing our work and marketing it as their own.

Reactions: PopEi

·
Registered
113 Posts
It sure is nice to hear that you are on it, Roman!

Some comments from two days of running the new FW:
- SD card is still behaving strangely, card access is sometimes lost and rebooting (or re-inserting the card) is needed. My card is a 16Gb Kingston which worked perfectly in my old Zenithink C91... Maybe I need to reformat it.
- easy to root using the TPSparky.bat
- no other problems so far, but haven't found out any advantages either ;-)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Roman,

is it possible for you in your new cRom to activate the USB-hub (hubenable.ko etc...) and these modules "cifs.ko", "nls_utf8.ko", "md4.ko"?

That would be awesome!!!!

translated with google....

greeting

·
Registered
54 Posts
Looking forward to your R4 of the latest PIPO firmware - R3 has been great on my M1.

One slight negative for me of your R3 is the effect of trying Bluetooth - the tablet went into a boot loop and I had to reflash R3 to get back to the Bluetooth "off" default setting.
I have a PIPO S2 with the original firmware and Bluetooth works fine. The M1 is going to a friend who would use wired headphones so its not an issue, but it would be if you ever made firmware for my S2. Maybe its just my tablet but I've seen another post with the same issue on an M1 - can't remember what firmware it was on.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bloody hell...

PiPo and their cursed naming conventions... I was under the impression they really did release a new firmware. I got into the firmware image and it is identical to the 0913 stuff that Release 3 was based off of. I already have my Linux VM fired up so I am just going to make tweaks to Release 3 that I have been holding off on for a while (a la' waiting for new stock firmware...) and re-release as Release 4.

Sorry to get everyone's hopes up on the new base firmware

Regards,

Roman

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I just finished putting Release 4 together and the resulting image file was a slightly different size from release 3!

Why is that exciting? Because it means that the stock firmware I built Release 4 off of was indeed different in some aspect or another.

Anyhow, release 4 seems to be quicker than ever

This will probably be our final 4.1 release for tablet. If PiPo comes out with 4.2 in the near future we will jump on that next. Otherwise, please feel free to enjoy what I still consider to be one of the fastest and smoothest Android Jelly Bean tablets to have ever been made. I have tested I would guess going on 10+ different models of RK3066 tablets and NONE of them are as responsive as the M1 and that is no lie. The good ones are very very good but the M1 still feels like it has some kind of "edge" to it when you use it. Anyhow, despite its shortcomings in other areas, it is a real performer and the best model we have sold.

That being said, I think the Ployer Momo 12 is a noble successor. Brighter and better screen, louder/clearer speaker, incredible build quality, ultra-thin and light and improved Wifi. Out with the old and in with the new. Of course that is a 10.1" unit. I am hoping Ployer has something just as nice in the 9.7" category using the newer RK3066 boards the are using in the Momo 12 and 7.

Anyhow, I digress...

Download link to come soon for Release 4.

Regards,

Roman

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks to you Roman, for all your hard work with the M1 in making it such a great tablet.
Release 4 is now on my M1 and seems to be running very well with my re-installed apps - everything works fine and WIFI range is excellent - much better than my wife's beloved SONY S tablet!
Since its going to a friend (who is not "technical"), I may take out the 16 Gb MSD card following your comment on battery drain in standby.
Using various paid programs to discover causes and tune apps, I'd got this drain down to just over 1% per hour in standby
The PIPO in her hands won't have these apps, so probably battery drain may be unacceptable, even though the card works fine. The 2Gb memory for apps and 11.7Gb ROM will be more than adequate for her use.
Won't test Bluetooth for a similar reason, but would be interested to hear if it is now usable with R4.

Edit: Had the M1 in standby for over 18 hours with msd card in place, and there is 0% loss of battery with just standard Juice Defender "balanced" settings. Lost just 4% from 100 to 96 whilst playing Angry Birds for a while, so msd is not causing battery loss on my tablet. No apps on MSD (just 800 JPGs) and email not set up but a normal selection of downloaded apps:

Advanced Task Killer, all Angry Birds, BBC News, IPlayer, The Weather Channel, GSam battery monitor,Kindle, MyBackup root, Quick Settings, Quickpic, TVcatchup, TunIn radio, and Youtube, all tested and working.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am using the TNT Release 3 for PiPo Max M1 and wanting to go to the TNT Release 4, so I downloaded the image file at http://www.topnotchtablets.com/support but it always times out and my download doesn't go through. I have tried 5x to download it as it may be my internet but the same thing. Is there any download link aside from TNT website?

Cheers!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am using the TNT Release 3 for PiPo Max M1 and wanting to go to the TNT Release 4, so I downloaded the image file at http://www.topnotchtablets.com/support but it always times out and my download doesn't go through. I have tried 5x to download it as it may be my internet but the same thing. Is there any download link aside from TNT website?

Cheers!
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0sl3suRGavDMXhHTWlrSENRdG8/preview?pli=1

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
16 Posts
Placeholder for now but PiPo appears to have release a new version of the base firmware for the Chinese market (FINALLY!) as of the 17th of December. I am downloading it now and will get to cracking on developing Release 4 for the M1. I have "honed" my mods a bit as of late and dropped a few things and added a few things... Here is what you can expect (you might not like all of it...)

1. No more WiFi range extending app

2. Root Explorer installed by default

3. Swapped out those bloody awful sharp keyboard noises with the ones from Cyanogen mod (they sound MUCH nicer)

4. Changed the default background to one of our pretty HD branded ones. If you hate it you can change it.

5. Set the default browser homepage to TNT's google search page (searches on this page support us (pay us a small bit), if you hate it, you can also change it but we appreciate anyone that does give it a go).

6. Permissions changes have been "refined" a bit. No more replacing the stock permissions files. Only adding missing permissions files.

7. Gameloft Framework.jar fix integrated from the start of things.

All the other good things stick... No Chinese apps, English set by default, build.prop mods, root, etc.

15 minutes more and the new stock firmware will be downloaded so I can work on it.

EDIT: Why all the branding? A.) We offer it for free, we are going to do some fairly non-invasive advertising. B.) The bigger reason, it discourages Chinese vendors from stealing our work and marketing it as their own.
Roman, please help. I tried to install TNT R4 on my M1 but the computer does not recognize the tablet as unknown device. Instead it recognizes it as F:\ and G:\.
I followed all steps in the guide 3 times but no success. Any ideas?
Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi roman

I like your custom ROM version 4 but the Bluetooth makes my tablet reboot and it will not stop.......

Also in wallpaper there is a beach picture where did you get that from ??

Keep up the good work

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, first of all thanks for the grat job, the rom is excellent, fast, and make me feel like if i had a better tablet.
My question is that i have installed the game GT Academy of Gameloft, but it refuses to start so, Do i have to do anything extra to get gameloft games work? I would be grateful if you could answer me.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you very much for the follow up Roman, the way you handle your business is all in your honor.

I haven't changed from release3 to release4 yet, but I'm sure it's all good stuff...hope this bluetooth issue can be fixed for those who experience it though.

Happy 2013 everyone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi all and happy new year....I've installed TNT R4 on my pipo m1 and it runs smoothly. Just a couple of things I'm trying to resolve. One is the ext SD card. It does recognize my card but it cannot see any partitions. Just the memory used and how much is left. Also when left on sby mode for a while it simply cannot see the sd card any more and i have to reboot. I have long formatted the card (FAT32) but the situation is the same.I tried two other cards and still the same situation. The other thing is that my settings screen when called up freezes occasionally. I have to cycle the screen a few times to get it going. Other than that the R4 works beautifully.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi all and happy new year....I've installed TNT R4 on my pipo m1 and it runs smoothly. Just a couple of things I'm trying to resolve. One is the ext SD card. It does recognize my card but it cannot see any partitions. Just the memory used and how much is left. Also when left on sby mode for a while it simply cannot see the sd card any more and i have to reboot. I have long formatted the card (FAT32) but the situation is the same.I tried two other cards and still the same situation. The other thing is that my settings screen when called up freezes occasionally. I have to cycle the screen a few times to get it going. Other than that the R4 works beautifully.
Many people have reported this type of problem with the M1 and various cards - TNT R4 is based on a PIPO stock version which reputedly fixed this problem by changing file permissions.
I had this problem with both a M1 and a PIPO S2. For me, formatting the MSD card as NTFS worked, with three TNT firmwares on the M1, and stock firmware with the S2.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Roman

I have just got my new PIPO M1 came with the 4.1.1 jelly bean loaded on it, wanted to know if I can update to a better one from here.
Also the wifi keeps connecting and disconnecting to my work wifi, works fine with my mobile been turned up as wifi hotspot.

I will check tonight at home, best tablet so far i have used.

this is my first post so please approve as I am going to share alot here on this tablet.

thanks
Abz

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks Roman

you are great

my guess it the the manual at your site is the best for the Pipo M1
i just got my Pipo M8 after the M1
and tomorrow i will try to flash the TNT 4 (it will fix the gameloft program also ? )

thanks

TK

1 - 20 of 56 Posts