Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
UPDATED AS OF 09/22/2012

1. Based on the newest stock firmware from PiPo 08/28

2. Rom is rooted!

3. CWM Recovery - Yep... one of my partners found the CWM stuff for the PiPo on another forum, it is implemented into this rom... I think (need brave beta testers). I will get some more instructions as well as far as how to access recovery.
3. CWM Recovery proved to be way too unstable. I took it out.

4. Build.prop has been modded so that better market results and app compatibility now exist.

5. Added that permissions file to further improve market compatibility.

6. Expanded app partition to 2 GB to make life a little easier.

Those are the big items... here are some smaller ones...

7. Dumped some of the included apps I find rather useless (most of the Rockchip apps, Chrome browser (i would have kept that one but it takes up a lot of space in the rom that was needed for other things and I didn't want to resize because whenever I have tried that in the past it always breaks things)

8. Added root explorer, superSu, videoediter, gallery with picasa support, sweet Asus weather widget, docs2go, ESfile Explorer, Genie Widget, english dictionary fix, Signal Booster

9. Fixed the launcher back to the much better/faster/smoother stock JB one.

10. Dumped the boot animation and put in a much more simple and pretty one (glowing colored Android JB "X" logo). Should boot a smidge faster as a result and it looks nice. Someone requested the PiPo animation back. Sorry,
, I took artistic license
and kept the glowing "X" animation. No hard feelings I hope

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO BETA TESTED AND HELPED ME WORK OUT THE KINKS!
-------------------
Official Release 2 Firmware now available! Go to: http://www.topnotchtablets.com/support , then click on the "firmware" button, then click "RKbatch" RK3066 Firmware Utility, Guide, & Firmware Images" and then finally click, "Pipo Max M1 Jelly Bean TNT Release 2 Firmware Image" to download the firmware image.

Flash normally (instructions and tools are on the page).

Regards,

Roman

PS - So, I am trying to get some other revenue streams going on our site and as a result have decided to monetize (put in advertising) the support section as that is offered for free and I have been told it is of value to folks. Anyhow, if you get some help from the support section, feel free to follow an ad or two if there is something of interest on them (like the Nexus 7 tablet... that gets advertised a lot on my site I have noticed lol
...)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've noticed that on previous firmware you cannot write to the external sd card.
I have tried fixing permissions but jelly bean won't allow it.
Is there any way around this?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just checking , does this firmware only work on the Pipo tablet ?
Not any other rk3066 tablet ?
I can only guarantee the M1 and without the ability to test it currently I can't even quite promise that.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've noticed that on previous firmware you cannot write to the external sd card.
I have tried fixing permissions but jelly bean won't allow it.
Is there any way around this?
This problem occurred on firmware for another device we had sold and I am trying to remember the work-around (assuming it is the same issue). I appreciate the heads up. That would have been an issue with the stock firmware too though. When someone tests this one they can tell me if the issue still persists. If it does, I will try to get it fixed for the final release.

When I QC tablets I only ever stick a card in the slot and make sure that android can read from it, I hadn't thought that writing would be necessary (you would think if one works then the other would as well). It is indeed a permissions issue from what I remember. Actually, using EsFile explorer in root mode you should be able to read and write all you want if it is truly a permissions issue because ES File explorer would be running as root. That would be the easiest work around.

I hope this is helpful

Regards,

Roman

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have tried fixing permissions in Es File Explorer, Root Explorer and Rom Toolbox Pro
all with r/w root permissions and although the permission to write to media can be added,
(<group gid="media_rw" />) to WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE, in practice it does not actually work.
This appears to have worked in ICS and Honeycomb when a similar situation occurred.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am having strange problems using any root app. Granting of rights popup takes sometimes 1-2 minutes after requesting, so it does not work. Weird.

Anyway: Good moment to say it. Roman, thank you so much for your GREAT work here!

·
Registered
4 Posts
After some trying around, I figured out:

1) Root is not complete in ROM (a lot of timeouts when permissions are requested), so I ran the original root how-to. It worked:

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/35974-pipo-max-m1-initial-impressions-top-notch-tablets/page__view__findpost__p__414520

2) Google Apps like Chrome won't install via Store. I found this thread and copied the XML. Worked too ;-)

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/33166-market-fix-smartq-t15-t19-t20-q8/page__view__findpost__p__361712

Overall, the ROM seems a bit faster than R1. Like it very much! Thank you again, Roman!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have tried fixing permissions in Es File Explorer, Root Explorer and Rom Toolbox Pro
all with r/w root permissions and although the permission to write to media can be added,
(<group gid="media_rw" />) to WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE, in practice it does not actually work.
This appears to have worked in ICS and Honeycomb when a similar situation occurred.
That is exactly the issue I had fixed on firmware for other devices. So it doesn't fly on JB?

Can anyone else confirm that the PiPo currently can't write to the SD card?

Regards,

Roman

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After some trying around, I figured out:

1) Root is not complete in ROM (a lot of timeouts when permissions are requested), so I ran the original root how-to. It worked:

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/35974-pipo-max-m1-initial-impressions-top-notch-tablets/page__view__findpost__p__414520

2) Google Apps like Chrome won't install via Store. I found this thread and copied the XML. Worked too ;-)

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/33166-market-fix-smartq-t15-t19-t20-q8/page__view__findpost__p__361712

Overall, the ROM seems a bit faster than R1. Like it very much! Thank you again, Roman!
1) Huge find! Thanks! I will take a look and see if I am able to implement those changes in firmware. My guess is there is a permissions issue on one of the files I moved over for root.

2) EVEN BIGGER FIND! Thanks so much! Will copy that XML into the firmware and that should be fixed. I think that means the base firmware would have the same issue so this is actually a FIX FIX

·
Registered
37 Posts
That is exactly the issue I had fixed on firmware for other devices. So it doesn't fly on JB?

Regards,

Roman
There's a whole thread about it, because I have the same problem. Also tried to fix permissions, but it doesn't work

·
Registered
37 Posts

Regards,

Roman
Stock PIPO_M1_English_20120828 does have this problem, but it was solved with <group gid="media_rw" /> in WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE .
Strange it did not work for tabnabs...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Stock PIPO_M1_English_20120828 does have this problem, but it was solved with <group gid="media_rw" /> in WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE .
Strange it did not work for tabnabs...
How did you edit the file?
I edited using esnoteeditor and it corrupted in on boot up. The old one appeared as platform.xls.bak but I wasn't able to delete the current one.
Had to reflash

Sent from my M1 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 138 Posts