Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Our custom M1 firmware is now uploaded to our server.

I will update this post later with change notes. For the time being you can go here: http://www.topnotchtablets.com/support and then "firmware" and then "RKbatch" RK3066 Firmware Utility, Guide, & Firmware Images" to get it.

Quick notes - It isn't rooted but the build.prop is switched up already so market access and compatibility is greatly improved. I will do a root guide and download later. I am not going to root our images by default anymore I don't think.

Welcome feedback!

Enjoy!

Roman

CHANGE NOTES:

My basic mantra with firmware modding is to clean up, leave most things alone, and only add apps if they serve a very good legitimate function.

- Dumped ALL Chinese Apps and MOST RockChip apps. (except for the RKVideo Player)
- Dumped that stupid keyboard PiPo uses for stock and put in a fixed version of the Jelly Bean keyboard I pulled from an XDA thread.
- Dumped slow-arse GoLauncher and replaced with an improved version of the stock Jelly Bean Launcher from a Cube U30GT modded firmware.
- Replaced Build.Prop with one that reflects some Samsung JB device or another. Greatly improves Market and more apps will install.
- Got rid of the useless APKinstaller program AND the useless "File Explorer"
- Installed ES File Explorer which is MUCH more useful
- Installed the free "Equalizer App" which is wonderful for boosting volume as the PiPo M1 has somewhat weak speaker. It is also a full equalizer.
- Kept the Jelly-Bean Gallery App (because "camera" is now apparently integrated into Gallery?!) but added the classic Gallery App with Picasa Sync support for those who want it. Hence there are two "gallery" icons. Sorry for the annoyance. I am a huge Picasa user so I really like to have Sync as it works so well.

I think that about covers it. The device absolutely FLIES once you dump all of stupid stuff PiPo did with the firmware. Honestly...

Anyhow, the PiPo is by far one of THE most responsive tablets running Jelly Bean available. Granted I haven't tested the Cube U30GT but that unit has had so many other issues I wouldn't bother.

PS. - If you are another retailer and download and use this image for the stuff you sell to your customers I will not be happy. Anyone in the community (and end user) is free to use but if you are reselling devices loaded with our stuff it does tend to make me a bit pissed. If you want to license it from us and pay us that is fine (pm me). Otherwise make your own firmware or use the stock firmware. Sorry everyone else for the note. Everyone else Cheers and Enjoy

Reactions: Tablet_Collector

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi roman - nice work. I flashed your firmware and it worked with no issues. Stock launcher is better/cleaner that the previous one and the keyboard is perfect - the equaliser is nice too!
I rooted it too and that worked.
One question - mine previously had an Ebook app installed, but this in now gone. I can't see it on the play store - do you know that it was?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Having some 'bricking issues' while trying to update.

I tried to just copy the image onto an SD card and rename it to 'update.img' and load it through the recovery but during the process it gave an error "E: Write faild(No space left on device)" and now it won't go past the PIPO 4.0.4 screen...

I tried the usb method as well but my laptop doesn't see the laptop connected. Anyone managed to find a solution for a problem like this? I know there is a solution for the Cube U30GT with shorting two solder pads and I'm wondering if I can do the same on this?

·
Registered
71 Posts
eddyah,
you're going to have to get your laptop to recognise the drivers to have any chance of recovering.
Roman has very detailed instruction on howto setup the driver on the website - you should be able to put the tablet in flash mode by pressing Volume - and the reset button and get the drivers installed from there.
after that - use the rk flash tool to put on the firmware.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Having some 'bricking issues' while trying to update.

I tried to just copy the image onto an SD card and rename it to 'update.img' and load it through the recovery but during the process it gave an error "E: Write faild(No space left on device)" and now it won't go past the PIPO 4.0.4 screen...

I tried the usb method as well but my laptop doesn't see the laptop connected. Anyone managed to find a solution for a problem like this? I know there is a solution for the Cube U30GT with shorting two solder pads and I'm wondering if I can do the same on this?
1. You should never have to do ANYTHING with "solder points" to fix your tablet if it is messed up as a result of a bad firmware flash, not on the A10 platform, the RK2918 platform and as far as I know not on the RK3066 platform. I really do think it is impossible to "brick" tablets based on these units unless you actually short something out.

2. I have never tried the update method you mentioned. The program I have (Wendal's excellent RKTools) outputs an update image and a regular image. I would guess the update image can be used from the recovery environment. I am really curious about this. How do you access recovery on the M1? I would like to know about this method and I would be happy to offer both types of images.

Regards,

Roman

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi roman - nice work. I flashed your firmware and it worked with no issues. Stock launcher is better/cleaner that the previous one and the keyboard is perfect - the equaliser is nice too!
One question - mine previously had an Ebook app installed, but this in now gone. I can't see it on the play store - do you know that it was?
The ebook app you refer to is/was part of the original "china ware" that I nixxed. I don't have a copy unfortunately
. There are other ebook readers available on the Playstore and the NOOK app from B/N will let you read other formats of ebooks. I personally am a religious NOOK app user
. I know a lot of folks also like Aldiko. You should google about for some suggestions as well. I am sure there are plenty of written reviews on the subject. That is the best I can offer at present

If you need to read PDFs or MS Word documents, Kingsoft office is free and quite excellent software for editing word/ excel/ and powerpoint docs and also reading PDFs.

Regards,

Roman

·
Registered
71 Posts
Cheers Roman, I normally use aldiko, but the bundled one was very slick. No biggie.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Hi Gnox,

Looking at that img I found the app RKEbookReader.apk - maybe something to do with Rockchip? Is that the one? PM me.

Jez

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I think im going to buy the Pipo M1 too

how did u root it? can u give a small How to?

thx

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't know if i'm stupid or something, but combination vol - and reset with usb cable in doesn't work for me. When I plug usb in Pipo it offers mi to Turn On usb Storage. I then press vol - and reset and unit reboots, and starts in same mode - with option to turn usb storage on. I don't even see the device in device manager as unknown device. Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I tried to get two Win 7 Pc's (32 & 64bit) to recognise this tablet.

Eventually I worked out I need USB debugging turned on and then to hold down the volume minus key for about 5 seconds after releasing the reset button.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts