Android Tablets Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 588 Posts

· Registered
668 Posts
[Mod edit]
The dev has not responded to requests for updates and therefore this topic will be locked due to non-support.
[/edit]

This is a description of my modified Pandigital Novel Firmware. THIS FIRMWARE IS FOR WHITE PDN'S ONLY!!

- Based on 7_24_K OEM Firmware update

- Volume key mod to remap the Volume Up button to the Menu Button function and the Volume Down button to the back button function.

- Root enabled SU with root permissions

- Notification/Status Bar Enabled on Boot

Installed Apks

- 91PandaHome 1.95
- AdhocEnable (set for adhoc: AndroidTether)
- Adobe Reader
- Advanced Task Manager (Set to run at boot)
- AndExplorer
- Android System Info
- Apps Installer
- Aptoide
- Audio Manager
- Blackmoon File Browser
- Dolphin Browser HD
- Bookmarks to SD
- Read it Later
- Blue Theme
- Adblock Plus
- ES File Explorer
- Home Switcher
- Office Suite
- SetCPU (Set to run on boot)
- SkyFire
- Smart Bar
- System Panel Lite
- WebSharing
- Wifi Analyzer
- WifiToggle Widget
- YouTube
- yxflash

Preconfigured

System Settings
Application settings - Unknown Sources Enabled

Dolphin Browser HD
Settings
Show Pinch Zoom
Set as Default Browser
Bookmarks for Several Android Repositories
Install Downloaded Apks from Downloads/Status Bar

Widgets
AdhocEnable
SetCPU
Audio Manager
Wifi Toggle

PandaHome Side Docks

Left Bar

Adobe Reader
Dolphin Broswer HD
Office Suite
PDMediaPlayVideo
PDMediaPlayAudio
PDPhotoGallery
YouTube
yxflash

Right Bar

Android System Info
Apps Installer
ES File Explorer
Home Switcher
Settings
System Panel Lite
WebSharing
Wifi Analyzer

SmartBar (Status/Notification Bar)
Audio Manager
Go Home
Task Manager
Show recent Apps
Quick Switch
Quick Exit
Advanced Task Manager

After flashing this Firmware the dalvik cache will need to rebuild, as a result Office Suite and Sometimes Pandahome will display error on the first boot. Subsequent boot should be clean and error free.

One issue with 91Pandahome is when the Home screen loads it will display in Landscap Mode even if the Novel is in the Portrait Position. Rotate the Novel CLOCKWISE until the Power connector is at the top. Then rotate counter-clockwise back to Portrait position and it will correctly display Portrait. This version (and all current home screens) will not function in Landscape position with the power connector at bottom or Portrait position upside down.

There is no market installed on this build, however I have installed the Aptoide Repository cleint and added the nchntr experience v1 repository. Also with the Bookmarks in Dolphin to the Apk repositories almost all free market apks are available. NOTE Some repositories have Pirated Full Versions of apks available, it is the responsibility of the User to conform to copywrights. To the best of my knowledge all apks included in this firmware are free, freeware, shareware or demo versions.

Link 7_24_K nev1.2: http://www.timthegeek.net/nchntr/files/PDN_7_24_nchntr_experience_v1.zip

Enjoy!

nchntrman

EDIT: Some users have reported problems associated with flashing this on top of the 8_06 Firmware or other Firmware releases. I would like to suggest that you first flash your Novel with the Pandigital OEM 7_24 firmware, before flashing this custom firmware package.

EDIT: The firmware zip file will be located inside the downloaded zip file. This means you must extract/unzip the downloaded file. Within that file is the firmware zip file to be placed on the SDCARD for flashing as well as a readme and link to my nev1 repository.

EDIT: I have fixed the serial number issue and updated the release. If you did not installed v1 (before 09/26/10) or are flashing with OEM 7_25 first, then you will not be affected and you may install this release as anyother firmware.

If you have already installed nchntr experience v1 before (09/26/10) please fix the serial number issue by perform the following :

EDIT: Serial number fix .
With thanks to tadroid (for finding the file) and shobi (for testing), I have made a simple fix for the serial number issue. I have removed the deviceid file and have determined that it is recreated during the boot process, it appears that the adobe digital editions application is started as a system app (during startup) during the adobe app startup it reads and creates the files. The process for removing the file is as follows:

(Method 1)
With a computer and adb:
First delete the device.xml file, to do this after plugging you Novel into your computer, open the PD_Novel drive and then open the .adobe-digital-editions folder. You will find a device.xml file, delete this file. Then start adb as you normally would. Next remove the deviceid with the following adb commands:

adb shell
rm /data/media/sdcard/.adobe-digital-editions/mydeviceid
sync
reboot

OR

(Method 2)(No computer or adb)
On the Novel:
(from the apk drawer) Open Terminal Emulator
(press menu button) Toggle soft key
then type:
su
rm /data/media/sdcard/.adobe-digital-editions/mydeviceid
rm /PD_Novel/.adobe-digital-editions/device.xml
sync
reboot

This will reboot and during the boot process new files will be created.

This will restore the correct deviceid (serial number) to your device.

EDIT: I have built a nchntr_experience_v1 for the 9_23 firmware. No new apps added, same features as the v1.2. Seems to be better than 7_24 so far. Because of some minor differences in the system and data areas, I have made 2 versions. One is for B models and the other is for K models. Please don't ask me to help you identify which one you have. Go to pandigital's website Pandigital � Downloads -- Pandigital Novel eReaders and use Option 1 for the white Novel. Download the Upgrader and run it. Follow the steps. When it begins to download look at the file name. After the date (9_23) there will be a letter. B for B models, K for K models.

If you download and install this firmware, please send me a PM with feedback.

Link for 9_23 B Model: http://www.timthegeek.net/nchntr/files/PDN_9_23_B_nchntr_experience_v1.4.zip
Link for 9_23 K Model: http://www.timthegeek.net/nchntr/files/PDN_9_23_K_nchntr_experience_v1.4.zip

EDIT: I have built a version based on the OP 9_30 firmware release. I still consider this a nchntr_experience_v1.x as the installed apks are mostly the same even though the core OS is different. When the nchntr_experience_v2.x is released it will be a different/additional apk install. So for all those who would like to try the 9_30 based nchntr_experience_1.5

Link OP_9_30 nev1.5 http://www.timthegeek.net/nchntr/files/OP_9_30_B_nchntr_experience_v1_5beta.zip

THIS IS A BETA RELEASE !! Intermediate Users Only Please.

I have some comments on the OP 9_30 firmware. I like the concept, I'm sure it was only released for those people who were seeking the source code. My opinion is mixed. 1st it is very lean, but lean is only good when not taken to an extreme, which they have done with OP 9_30. I will eventually benchmark the speed to get #'s to see the increase. Definitely more free memory and space. Notification Bar enabled and 270 rotation, both good things, but already available for the OEM firmwares. Buttons enabled but they are awkward large, I haven't checked out gottahavit's buttons but it is on the list, again available to OEM firmware as a mod. Next would be the stuff I dont like. For starters where are all the settings? As I remember, when I used the emulator it seemed to have the most populated settings menu, the OEM Novel w/ pandahome having maybe 85-95% as many options in the settings menu, the OP firmware has barely any. Is this Android Build or Home Screen controlled? There are no PD apps either, a few are replaced but the entire PD framework + alot of android base framework is no included. The 9_30 OP firmware is Open Platform and is a very,very stripped down essentials only version of android. I do not believe this is the base for Pandigitals Novel OEM firmware. As the Pandigital firmware has more features, Android Base features, albeit hidden in normal form. All that being said, I don't think this is as functional as the 9_23 OEM and will also be building a 9_23 nchntr_experience.

EDIT: I have built a NEV1 for the 11_19 firmware. There are no major changes from the previous releases other than the core Pandigital Release. This release does not have the rotation fix (yet) and will be released as an update patch or updated version (v1.7?). Other than that feel free to play around with it and form you own opinion on the 11_19. Seems faster to me. 11_19 changes: the CPU max is set at 800MHZ as per recent Pandigital Firmwares, however this release does not seem to ever fall back to the min setting or 266MHz even when the device is left idle for long periods of time. As a result expect battery life to suffer in some capacity. This firmware is built on the 11_19_K firmware and as such is designed for the K models only. To my knowledge the main difference in the K and B models is the battery driver as well as the Adobe Digital Editions software (equating to different included ebooks). This works fine on my B model.

AS PREVIOUS RELEASES THIS IS A ZIP FILE CONTAINING THE FIRMWARE ZIP AS WELL AS CHANGELOGS AND README FILES. YOU MUST EXTRACT THIS ZIP FILE TO YOUR COMPUTER AND PLACE THE "S10_11_19_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.ZIP" FILE ON YOUR SDCARD OR PD_NOVEL VOLUME TO FLASH TOT HE DEVICE.
LINK: http://www.timthegeek.net/nchntr/files/PDN_11_19_nchntr_experience_v1.6.zip

Please PM or email me any bug reports and suggestions which should be incorporated in the next release (with rotation fix).

Enjoy,

nchntrman

EDIT: Unless you are an experienced user, I DO NOT recommend using anything newer that v1.4. Version 1.4 is the latest stable release designed for new and basic users, please use the correct version for your model (b or k) . Please do not flash v1.6 on your device and then send me bug reports that roatation does not work, or battery has issues. Please do not flash your device with 1.5 (op) and ask why you dont have the PD_Novel volume anymore.
Please make yourself familiar with the limitations of the STOCK firmwares before you install.

Reactions: mrsburnout

· Registered
338 Posts
Very impressive! Plus lots of sweaty work, I suppose. Thank you.Before the plunge, some questions:-- is it your conviction that 7-24 is more responsive/otherwise more stable/whatever better than 8-06, both equally modded? Or were there some benchmarks to show the 7-24's edge?-- can GE/Market pushed over your FW?-- does it retain one's userdata? Then, I have some of the apps in your list already, what happens to them? what happens to my other apps not mentioned here?Last, but not least... is there any possibility to flash it from my PC? I hate it when my PDN tells me on boot "Damaged SD card" almost every boot when just couple resetting corrects this obviously software bug. Every failure to flash from the SD means disconnecting the battery, crap! Thank you anyway

· Premium Member
2,336 Posts
Yeah, I see there's a userdata.img in there, which would wipe out any previous settings. Taking it out would probably lay toast to Dolphin as the default browser but I don't know about all the pre-set bookmarks. From what I understand previously installed apps would be overwritten but non-duplicate apps would be unaffected. I doubt the bookmarks are in userdata, but rather somewhere in the app itself - so old Dolphin (for example) get's overwritten but with new places to go.nchntrman: How's the WiFi stability on this build?

· Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a full flash, it will wipe your /data and all your installed apks. I made this as a full restore for my base apks and settings. This does not have any accounts installed. To make this I flashed OEM 7_24 from Pandigital. Installed the mods, installed the apks, configured the system. Then I backed up the /system to a system.img, I wiped the dalvik-cache (25M) and backed up the /data to userdata.img then replaced them in the OEM 7_24 firmware zip adjusting the md5 as needed.I have not tried the 8_06 firmware as of yet I have heard to many complaints. Can anyone confirm you can flash back to earlier firmware on the BBB units? I havent experienced wifi issues like other have, the 7_05_B firmware that was on my 1st Novel was very buggy with wifi, no reconnects after standby without turning off then on. But I can say that after applying the adhocenable mod my wifi has been outstanding. In either adhoc or infrastructure modes it connects just fine. After standby only a few seconds till wifi is powered less than 30 before i'm reconnected. Also it connects fine on startup automatically. As far as flashing from PC, a little OT as this functions as any other zipped firmware release (out in root of sd card, dont change file name) but I know that Pandigital has an updater.exe on their site. I believe it will flash from a downloaded zip file. I presume if you rename this file to the same as the firmware file it downloads you might be able to trick it into installing this firmware.

· Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can, it took me about 30-45 to put together the 7_24 version. However I am have one issue that I am unable to reproduce from a clean setup. This is the ability to launch/install .apk files from the Dolphin HD Downloads screen. When I begin with a fresh firmware package and repeat the procedure, I am unable to get Downloaded .apks to associate with Package Installer. Instead I get an error that No Application can be found to open this file type. or similar. So when I figure out exactly which apk drives that or which setting affects this association, then I will build an 8_06 firmware with a similar configuration. I am also working to remap the /data location to the internal microSD allowing for increased app capacity, I will add this feature to the nchntr_experience_v2
Any other requests for features or pre-config to be included in the next version?

· Registered
72 Posts
Before you rush to build 06/06 modded FW can you confirm (or anyone else) that the "video stutter" is fixed? Or conversely those who want to flash 08/06 might want to search on 08/06. It seems that every few seconds videos stutter momentarily then resume.However, very cool work - thanks to you nchntrman!

· Registered
72 Posts
OK - I installed nchntrman's FW - it's great, albeit with a few issues (nothing serious).Good Things: WiFi is terrific and connects instantly (OK a few seconds maybe), most of the apps work as advertised [see below], the notification, buttons and home hacks work wellNot-so-Good: I'm not sure that we have SU root - Titanium Backup shows that it cant get SU Root permissions (although it backed up the home and wifi settings). IMHO Panda Home sucks so I installed Launcher Pro - seems to be smoother. I deleted a lot of duplicate stuff (e.g., I didn't want more than one file explorer or browser so I'm using ES File Explorer and XSCope only.All-in-all this is a giant step forward to making the PDN a great device so who needs Pandigital anyway -let em keep their source code - the only two words I have for them are not Happy Birthday.Thx to nchntrman

· Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No those 2 words go to me today

· Registered
846 Posts
If I wanted to go to this mod rather than one of the ones that includes GE Alpha & Market.. how would I get rid of the Google stuff ? Reset doesn't seem to get rid of it.. nor flashing to a different fw.

· Registered
668 Posts
Flash back to the OEM Firmware first. I cannot speak for any of the GE mods (I have never applied them) but I have noticed that flashing with OEM Firmware, replaces my entire /system and /data and removes any and all modifications I have performed. After flashing with the OEM firmware, then flash with my custom firmware.AFAIK the Reset Button is basically a hardware power off and reboot.Reset to Factory Defaults (in the system settings) should wipe account information and changes to settings, maybe wifi settings etc. Although I have never had to do this so I do not know for sure.

· Registered
52 Posts
Thanks, first of all. Do I just download from your link, copy the file to an SD card, then FLASH the PDN ? Is it really that easy ? Or am I missing something ?

· Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is really that easy
Well you have to unzip my zip to get the zip.
I did that so the .zip inside could remain correctly named but not get lost in the multiple firmware.zips i have made.

· Premium Member
2,336 Posts
I just acquired my first paid market app, DocsToGo. I still have the APK to reinstall it, but what will happen to the authorization key I got. Actually, the real question is how do I backup or reacquire the key if (when) I reflash to this mod?

· Premium Member
2,102 Posts
We still need the source code. Wouldn't it be nice to have 2.2 on there instead? Source code.If Pandigital needs two words it's: SOURCE CODE.Then maybe: COPYRIGHT VIOLATION.As in GPL

· Registered
1 Posts
This is excellent. Thanks for all the work. It saved me a lot of time trying to install all the hacks manually.The Wifi does seem to work a lot better with this firmware.Including the bookmarks in dolphin was genius. It really does reduce/eliminate the need for marketplace.Thanks again.

· Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sapphire;40726 said:
Can I install other apps later? How would I install them? Will I have to use the adb method or what?
You can install apps later. There are several ways with this firmware.No you do not have to.Ways to install apps:1) Open Dolphin Broswer HD, Press Menu Button (volume up) select bookmarks, click on any of the top bookmarks listed (repositories), browse to the app you want, download apk, when finished you may either (a)swipe status/notification bar at top of screen and select download finished notification OR (
press the menu button (volume up) and select more, then select downloads, then select the download, then package installer should start and select install.2) Download apk file to your PC, plug Novel usb cord into PC, copy the downloaded apk to the sdcard (you must have one installed in the Novel), safely remove/eject drives from PC, unplug usb cable from pc, wait untill sdcard is remounted on Novel, on the Novel open AppsInstaller from drawer or right side dock, you should see the downloaded apk in the list, open the apk to install on the Novel.3) use ADB to install the apk

1 - 20 of 588 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.