Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are any possibilities of an 2.1 upgrade? Should be great if someone of you hard-code programmers/developers port Android 2.1 on this device.Is this anyhow possible?

·
Registered
446 Posts
its unlikely to get 2.1 on here due to the fact we have no 3d accelerator, low ram, etc......It'd be super slow and not usable

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
[quote author=ECOTOX link=topic=57.msg359#msg359 date=1273865368]its unlikely to get 2.1 on here due to the fact we have no 3d accelerator, low ram, etc......It'd be super slow and not usable [/quote]Do the standard features in 2.1 rely on 3D acceleration?

·
Registered
446 Posts
it would have to be bare minimum 2.1, almost 1.6 really, this device is perfect for 1.6, no go for 2.1 in my opinion

·
Registered
446 Posts
Pretty much all the features we would want from 2.1 need a bit more ram/cpu and 3d acceleration. Its got more then enough nand, just the rest of the specs are not a good 2.1 spec. If you guys like when i get my device I could give it a go? it wouldnt be hard to compile a basic kernel as a "proof of concept" thing.

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
I guess it's worth a try - after all, there's nothing to loose. Short of changing the whole damn SoC board there's not really a lot else that could be done to run it smoothly apart from some serious stripping down and sticking a larger memory chip in.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm not sure if there's really anything from 2.1 I must have on this device ... I'd be happy if we can speed up the UI (esp for browsing), get video/audio working well, and extend battery life as much as possible.One of the things getting in the way of the whole experience of this device is the UI response, chiefly how responsive it is to screen input (for typing & swiping) and how quick/smooth screen scrolling is. It's not really bad but it's just not quite snappy enough. If we could figure out how to optimize this, then the device will be worth far more than the $100 we spend!For battery life, I noticed that mine doesn't really go to sleep when the power button is pressed - though the screen turns off the battery drains at the same rate as when the device is on and all 3 LEDs stay on. So there must be things that can be done in software to save battery.

·
Registered
56 Posts
[quote author=ikanos link=topic=57.msg422#msg422 date=1273896713]For battery life, I noticed that mine doesn't really go to sleep when the power button is pressed - though the screen turns off the battery drains at the same rate as when the device is on and all 3 LEDs stay on. So there must be things that can be done in software to save battery.[/quote]i was gonna say that , the battery has a huge drain in suspend mode , the screen turns off , but it really doesn't matter , battery would go down as fast as if you are reading with device( without wifi being on ) and this indicates there are some loose software issues , unpatched kernel stuff perhaps?i'm just guessing , but i'm 100% sure that there is something wrong with it : G1 or Dream or whatever Android 1.6 device with screen areas around 3.2inches all have battery's about the same size (1500mAh) so it's normal if the device drains with this relatively huge screen 4 times faster if you actually are using the LCD! , but it's impossible to think that an Android mobile phone with even more power hungry hardware ( with the exception of friggin LEDs and Display ) last just 5 hours in suspend mode.5-6 hours is the best i got , which is simply ridiculous , considering it is a tablet , and it should be readily available whenever i want it

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
I think it would be good if we could improve the bootup time. I am able to boot my desktop up, log in and check my email before this thing boots - quite frankly it's a joke.I'll speak to ECOTOX see if there's anything I can help out with.

·
Registered
53 Posts
[quote author=Mike link=topic=57.msg502#msg502 date=1273940655]I think it would be good if we could improve the bootup time. I am able to boot my desktop up, log in and check my email before this thing boots - quite frankly it's a joke.I'll speak to ECOTOX see if there's anything I can help out with.[/quote]Note sure if I understand - it comes on instantly for me - are you powering all the way down to save battery?We don't normally have to boot - if we fix the ROM so it goes to sleep properly to save battery then we don't have to power all the way down - wake up is instant (less than a second).The last time I booted my Android phone was months ago!

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
[quote author=ikanos link=topic=57.msg513#msg513 date=1273945490][quote author=Mike link=topic=57.msg502#msg502 date=1273940655]I think it would be good if we could improve the bootup time. I am able to boot my desktop up, log in and check my email before this thing boots - quite frankly it's a joke.I'll speak to ECOTOX see if there's anything I can help out with.[/quote]Note sure if I understand - it comes on instantly for me - are you powering all the way down to save battery?We don't normally have to boot - if we fix the ROM so it goes to sleep properly to save battery then we don't have to power all the way down - wake up is instant (less than a second).The last time I booted my Android phone was months ago![/quote]Yes I start it up from cold every time, just a habbit I've got into really because I don't like leaving stuff turned on.

·
Registered
51 Posts
[quote author=ECOTOX link=topic=57.msg392#msg392 date=1273880711]Pretty much all the features we would want from 2.1 need a bit more ram/cpu and 3d acceleration. Its got more then enough nand, just the rest of the specs are not a good 2.1 spec. If you guys like when i get my device I could give it a go? it wouldnt be hard to compile a basic kernel as a "proof of concept" thing.[/quote]I for one would GREATLY appreciate the effort it took to get 2.1 going on the Slatedroid. Between the time I ordered it and now (the day UPS should deliver!!) I find I might _need_ a 2.1 Android device. <sigh> customers can be, um, fun, but they pay the bills. If you get yours and have time to get a stripped down 2.1 running, I'll buy you a virtual beer!

·
Registered
446 Posts
lol, I'd be happy to make a 2.1 for you my friend

·
Registered
164 Posts
[quote author=ECOTOX link=topic=57.msg822#msg822 date=1274122512]lol, I'd be happy to make a 2.1 for you my friend[/quote]i wouldnt recommend it, iv been running some tests on the subject using the emulator, it goes soooo slow, and thats using best case scenario.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'm sure it does XD 2.1 needs some major tweaking to run well on lesser hardware like the eken m001

·
Registered
51 Posts
OK, so lets just up the ante then... how'bout 2.2??? Reports are that it is much faster at many things on the same hardware. 2.2 kernel and services with a 1.6-style 2D UI?(Haven't done anything like kernel work in decades, I have to defer to others to be the brains on this one!)

·
Registered
14 Posts
[quote author=ECOTOX link=topic=57.msg926#msg926 date=1274227479]I'm sure it does XD 2.1 needs some major tweaking to run well on lesser hardware like the eken m001[/quote]Hi guys. Just ordered a m001 as a veteran of Android phones.Anyway, on this subject, I think 2.1 would be more than doable. I've seen 2.1 run pretty well on the G1/Magic 32b which, lack of 3D aside, is about in line with the m001 in terms of RAM and processor. Swap or compcache would help the lack of RAM issue greatly as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
[quote author=Loccy link=topic=57.msg1580#msg1580 date=1274562740][quote author=ECOTOX link=topic=57.msg926#msg926 date=1274227479]I'm sure it does XD 2.1 needs some major tweaking to run well on lesser hardware like the eken m001[/quote]Hi guys. Just ordered a m001 as a veteran of Android phones.Anyway, on this subject, I think 2.1 would be more than doable. I've seen 2.1 run pretty well on the G1/Magic 32b which, lack of 3D aside, is about in line with the m001 in terms of RAM and processor. Swap or compcache would help the lack of RAM issue greatly as well.[/quote]That would be true if the m001 actually had a 600mhz processor which doesn't look like the case.

·
Registered
446 Posts
it seems to be 350mhz to me, it feels like my g1 when it was stock (minus the 3d). we could do 2.1 if we added JIT and swap to it, its just a matter of compiling a montavista based 2.1 build (the kernel in this device is a montavista linux kernel with android crammed in it)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts