Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Hopefully it'll be a short one! Just pulled the trigger and purchased one of these bad boys. I love the form factor! I had a SmartQ 5 which I really did love but wanted something more, hmmm... solid. And a slightly larger is screen is nice, too! Stuck in Shenzhen Office of Exchange for almost two weeks now - I mean, I know that the dragon boat 3 day festival was last week, but really! Although, on the plus side, I see that my Acer Liquid E is set for delivery today!Now onto 4 weeks and I've finally convinced the people over at http://www.jiongtang.com/shop/, JTSHOP, that there might be a problem. I mean, really... 4 weeks now of stuck at the Shenzhen Office of Exchange with no movement whatsoever... 12 deays left before I have to file a complaint with Paypal... maybe somehow it'll get unstuck and start moving again.Well, I checked CanadaPost on a lark and, guess what? It's in Vancouver getting checked over by customes. Where it's been for the past 30 days, who knows, but at least now we're in the same country!

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
(Funny replying to myself): Been 4 or 5 days in customs (do I count Saturday?). And here's my dilemma: If it doesn't arrive by Friday next (July 23), I can no longer open a claim with Paypal. Not saying that I'd need to, but to be on the safe side, it'd be nice to know that PayPal had my back if the W7 arrived after 45 days and there was a problem with the it. Oh well, no need to cross that bridge yet. With any luck, it'll arrive tomorrow, or early next week, right? I've seen customs and canada post take up to 9 business days to hit the front door... that still leaves me at Thursday next... hmmm.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Woah, thats a long haul. Buddy DEFINITELY open that claim. If it is not in your hand and tested to be working before the cut off date. You can be nice about it and explain to the seller that its just a precaution. Some dodgy sellers use the 45days up on purpose. You are up poop creek without a paddle if you do not. BTW I am really keen to here your impressions of the W7. I just can't figure out why they are so thin on the ground. It's great looking unit.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it arrived today! In great shape, and still holding a charge a month (over a month now) later. And first impressions, out of the box are WOW! I can't believe the build quality - just out of this world compared to the Ekens and the aPads - on par really with my Acer Liquide. Very nice feel, good in the hand - very much faster than the aPad - go figure same processor and SDK... What else... good screen outside - actually usable (unlike the ekens and the apad). I'm very pleased so far - I'll post more as I put it through its paces over the next couple of days!

·
Registered
64 Posts
That's great! I am going to keenly watch for your report. Especially I would like to know how you think it is for net browsing. Too tiny? I am thinking more about getting one of these, especially seeing all the grief people are encountering just trying to get a functional aPad without getting screwed. The build quality sounds like quite a relief. Just wish they were more plentiful (and a bit cheaper). A little hard to justify as I can buy a 10" netbook for ~$300 (Australian) anytime. I went through your link to that JT shop. Did you pay their retail? Get a deal?

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wanted something that I could put in pocket and carry. I do have a net book, well a umpc, a Acer 1410, that just wasn't portable enough for me. I had a SmartQ 5 but the build quality left me a little nervous, so the W7 is my upgrade to that (although my SmartQ5 could run Eclair). Did I get a deal - it was free shipping as I remember! Usually a $20 premium over at JTShop. Unlike my apad or ekens, I feel absolutely no desire to take this thing apart - the build quality is that good. It's been running well out of the box - screen size is very good for reading.I still have ths nagging feeling though that it is an "unfinished" device. Very pretty to look at, straight foward to use, but the one thing that has always nagged me is the the SmartQ's all seemed to run android very smoothly. This W7 (like my apad), still hiccups every once in a while, slows down. Using a task killer repeatedly over time like the apad reutrns less and less memory. Having said that and saying it again, its still faster than my apad.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Thanks for the info. I just stumbled across this site the other(long story via looking at Dingoo) day as well as discovering that the Chinese were actually shipping Android tablets and at reasonable prices(for what they are).I WAS interested in this Ramos W7 as soon as I saw it existed, but have since decided to wait a bit longer as it seems that Rockchip 2818 will eventually be out, and there also appear to be some Cortex A8 based tabled appearing now, although I really do want a smaller 7" size one as I think that 10" would be too large.Anyways... any chance of a little more detailed writeup on the W7? (I'm still considering ordering one or maybe have my brother-in-law pick one up when he's in China if he's going again soon...) The size of the W7 seems to be nice enough to keep it in the running, but OTOH it may be too small given what it looks like in the videos...[EDIT]I guess nevermind(well maybe not as I might still get one anyways for spite
) as I've decided to wait for a reliable Cortex A8 based tablet... although I might torture myself by picking up a Pandigital Novel(IF I can get it on sale for c. $120) in the intervening timeframe... shame that the W7 came out at such an awkward time and even more so if Android 2.2 + flash supports the Rockchip 2808A... oh well...[/EDIT]

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry about the lack of a more detailed write, folks. I have decided to sell the W7 - go over and check it out in the Market if interested.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts