Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so this device is sold as a HD 720p player. First thing that should discredit that statement is the 800x480 screen res (given 720 should be 1280 x 720)My experimentation with 720p has been as follows - Yes it will play 720p movies and will automatically "downsize" the image to play on the screen but two points to note1) Bitrate is a killer - Any downloaded movie (normal length) seems to have a HUGE bitrate (as one would expect) and it leads to the player saying "Cant play movie"2) Any short movies (small size file) seems to play ok even with higher bitrates (curious!)Anyway after experimentation I personally find that the quality IMPROVES dramtically if the movie is re-encoded for the device sizeThe two profiles I have found that work the best are (using handbrake / itouch/iphone profile) encoding as mp4.( All sources are 1280x720)1) 720x400 = bitrate 1250 (I started at 1500 but large movies do not support this = short one do ???) Definitely the best but obviously does not fil the screen2) 800 x 448 = bitrate 1250 (I started at 1500 but large movies do not support this = short one do ???) Quality is almost exactly the same as 1) but the benfit is that the total screen size is used.Although the birtrate is specified as 1250 in handbrake the result is higher. And I am still pushing the bitrate up. Trying to find the max (somewhere between 1250-1500)Anyhow I would appreciate anyone elses observations/comments/experienceThanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not wanting to flog a dead donkey intentionally, BUT I would love to know other people's experiences with videoStill experimenting but dont think I can do much better than the settings int he OP

·
Registered
64 Posts
which player are you using to play the videos?I saw from this clip review by mp4nation:(http://mp4nation.net/blog/2010/06/android-tablet-mid-rk2808-based-moonse-e7001-apad-iped-whatever-all-the-same-ipad-clone/)that you need to use the native video player that comes with the aPad to make full use of the rockchip 2808 to decode the video (listen from the 3min 25sec marker). And then a demonstration at the 9min 30sec mark of the video player.I'm still waiting on my Moonse, but I thought I'd suggest that native rockchip video player to improve playback.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I concur that 720p does not work on 'movie length' files, come to think of it I have not gotten any movie to play yet, just one episode of lost I coded with handbrake. I don't remember the settings I used then, but and recoding a 720p movie to the settings you suggested and will see what results that gets me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well I just finished reformating the movie, with the settings above (I used mkv wrapper) and watching pieces of it and it works great. Nice color, vivid picture, Audio is in sync, and it's very responsive when you jump to another point in the movie. I didn't play the whole movie, from start to finish, so I don't if it loses sync over time, but watching for 10 minutes, it did not.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote author=themsn link=topic=453.msg4749#msg4749 date=1275594567]which player are you using to play the videos?I saw from this clip review by mp4nation:(http://mp4nation.net/blog/2010/06/android-tablet-mid-rk2808-based-moonse-e7001-apad-iped-whatever-all-the-same-ipad-clone/)that you need to use the native video player that comes with the aPad to make full use of the rockchip 2808 to decode the video (listen from the 3min 25sec marker). And then a demonstration at the 9min 30sec mark of the video player.I'm still waiting on my Moonse, but I thought I'd suggest that native rockchip video player to improve playback.[/quote]All my work/experimentation is with the default player

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote author=Mikeami link=topic=453.msg4840#msg4840 date=1275618865]Well I just finished reformating the movie, with the settings above (I used mkv wrapper) and watching pieces of it and it works great. Nice color, vivid picture, Audio is in sync, and it's very responsive when you jump to another point in the movie. I didn't play the whole movie, from start to finish, so I don't if it loses sync over time, but watching for 10 minutes, it did not. [/quote]Mike - Thank you very much for the confirmation and experimentation!Yep gonna stick to my settings for now as they work a treat (unless anyone else finds something better!) - Watched two movies now 800x448 and they just rock on the device!!Definitely the brightness setting (as per chips post) dramatically effects playback time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a few MKV files with x264 video, and they don't play correctly on my Rockchip aPad version 2 (w/camera). The video player knows how long the video is, and I believe that in some cases it can even play the audio track (though I can't get to my aPad right now to check). But it does not play the video track - just a black screen, with no error message. Any idea why? Is it because it's x264 and not h264, coupled with MKV?I actually encoded some videos to test.. I used FairUse Wizard 2, with its internal x264 codec. I tried both MKV and AVI. I also took the opportunity to test for a good bitrate. I was able to play x264 in an AVI container with a video bitrate of 1482kbps + 128kbps MP3. I could even do it with a 90-minute movie, skipping around to various points in the movie without loading or synchronization problems.I have also had trouble playing some FLVs and MP4s - just videos I downloaded from YouTube. Some are not recognized by Video Player, and some play with apparent codec problems (lots of video artifacts).I haven't updated the firmware yet to the one released by Chip3C. It speaks of 'various bug fixes', and I'm hoping this is one of them. Does anyone have thoughts on this?Can you give me a sample MKV + x264 or MKV + h264 file that plays correctly in yours? Thanks in advance.Edit: The video I encoded in FairUse Wizard is at 800x336 resolution. The other MKVs I have were not encoded by me; they're 720p, though I believe at a comfortably lower bitrate. I can check in a couple of days.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Rotten,I dont have my Apad yet but I am working on encoding some movies with handbrake. I think you are right, why try to play 720p movies without a 720p screen.... I am trying to encode in 800 x (keep aspect ratio) with a target size of 700mb, I am thinking for a screen this small we should be able to get a good encode from an HD source to 700mb with pretty good quality, what do you think??

·
Registered
39 Posts
here's a page about video transcoding with a video for people that aren't familiar with doing this sort of thing.http://tabletstoreuk.com/movie-playback-on-android/info_9.htmlthe attachment is a torrent for avatar transcoded with these settings and should put a
on peoples faces when they play it (so long as you have a rockchip!)

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi folks,I am new to the forum - I purchased an Apad in China a couple of days ago and am trying to work out a number of things, especially how to get the video to work.My unit seems to be a little different from those pictured and is running Android 1.7.4 by all accounts.The main differences I see from the other hardware pictured is that it has an iPod USB connector that can act as both USB in and out, and has an additional adapter that has two USB and one Ethernet port.In any case, I am trying to get a video to play - any video would be nice.So far none of my videos lying around play properly - MPEG1, MPEG2, or MPEG4.Closest I get is MP4 that was encoded for my iPhone - I get sound and no picture. Everything else says it can't play it.I have acquired Handbrake and it looks great. But even following the general instructions here I have yet to encode a playable video.My goal is to use DVDs as source for material to watch on the train... It is possible that my unit is not quite the same as the others used, though I am hoping to work through this.If anyone has thoughts on what is best to do, I am all ears!Cheers! Dave.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A little clarification.So the unit reports the following:Memory: 256MBFirmware: V1.6Build Number: 1.7.4Kernel: 2.6.29-00236-g4f8dbbb-dirtyI have been reducing video res and bitrate - still no video - just audio. Sigh...

·
Registered
39 Posts
your device is absolutely not what is discussed in this forum. you have - internally at least - what most people are calling the Eken M001. It has the worst CPU of any chinese tablet and has a worse performance (by far) than the G1 phone, graphics performance being around HALF. So you can 'use' android, but probably not run much, especially video besides I guess low resolution stuff.try a using handbrake as above but entering a MUCH lower resolution. or buy something respectable?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Based on all of the pictures I have seen of the EKEN M001 (like these here), I would have to disagree with you.They tried to sell me one of the EKEN ones and I told them it was crap and I was not interested.The one I bought looks exactly like the iRobot M003 except for the different connector for USB in and out (the box looks identical).That said I have no idea where it falls in the lineage, except that it appears to have more RAM (256 MB) and more recent Kernel etc. than the M003's mentioned here.I guess it is possible that it is internally the same as the EKEN, though it seems unlikely to me based on the snappy response of the tablet...Is there any simple way to determine what the CPU in the unit is?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.