Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...does not exist. After some extensive detective work, I can say with some certainty that although the processor may sport a second USB port (based on specifications), it's not been traced out onto the processor DDR2 board. If you look at the pic, you can see the WIFI port and the docking port. You are looking at only the D+ and D- lines. Each line comes out on two side-by-side pins. NOWHERE ELSE ON THE DDR2 PROCESSOR DO WE SEE THAT SIDE-BY-SIDE PIN CONFIGURATION. Meaning, unfortunately no other usb port. Sucks. Now someone is going to ask how I figured those pins out - I did continuity checks with a multimeter tracing the lines back on the motherboard then through the connector to the DDR Processor broad.

·
Registered
157 Posts
[quote author=donaldson link=topic=216.msg1832#msg1832 date=1274712623]...does not exist. After some extensive detective work, I can say with some certainty that although the processor may sport a second USB port (based on specifications), it's not been traced out onto the processor DDR2 board. If you look at the pic, you can see the WIFI port and the docking port. You are looking at only the D+ and D- lines. Each line comes out on two side-by-side pins. NOWHERE ELSE ON THE DDR2 PROCESSOR DO WE SEE THAT SIDE-BY-SIDE PIN CONFIGURATION. Meaning, unfortunately no other usb port. Sucks. Now someone is going to ask how I figured those pins out - I did continuity checks with a multimeter tracing the lines back on the motherboard then through the connector to the DDR Processor broad.[/quote]nice work there.if it was a smd we could try to pull some wires but with this BGA design, its gonna be like impossible if there are no traces on the board.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You got it. With BGA, there really is no hope of pulling those pins out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
[quote author=donaldson link=topic=216.msg1832#msg1832 date=1274712623]...does not exist. After some extensive detective work, I can say with some certainty that although the processor may sport a second USB port (based on specifications), it's not been traced out onto the processor DDR2 board. If you look at the pic, you can see the WIFI port and the docking port. You are looking at only the D+ and D- lines. Each line comes out on two side-by-side pins. NOWHERE ELSE ON THE DDR2 PROCESSOR DO WE SEE THAT SIDE-BY-SIDE PIN CONFIGURATION. Meaning, unfortunately no other usb port. Sucks. [/quote]Broaden your search.
(I think the JTAG lines are also brought out to the card edge, but I'm not sure where. Probably 5 out of the dozens of pins that aren't routed on the main board, but it's better than having to try to tap them under the chip.)

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm... I'll check. I'd love to find that port!

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@bushingAwesome. How did you see it! I had totally discounted those lines for sure. Credit goes to you 'cause that is the second USB port. NOw tell me how you know (and more importantly) what else you know! Here's the update on the docking connector:pin 1 & 2: groundpin 3: audio out rightpin 4: audio out leftpin 7: hmmmm connect to mb but no correlation to ipod.pin 9: 5vpin 10: 5vpin 12: USB2 -datapin 13: USB2 +datapin 14 - 16: Groundpin 18: 3.3Vpin 23: 5V USBpin 25: USB -datapin 27: USB +datapin 29 & 30: groundpins 5, 6, 8, 11, 17,19, 20, 21, 22, 24, 26, 28: NCMore info to follow once I find the camera.

·
Registered
25 Posts
[quote author=donaldson link=topic=216.msg2415#msg2415 date=1274913763]@bushingAwesome. How did you see it! I had totally discounted those lines for sure. Credit goes to you 'cause that is the second USB port. NOw tell me how you know (and more importantly) what else you know! [/quote]
Not much. I actually hooked up my FTDI breakout board to those two pins before I cracked the unit open, and was surprised not to see any debug spew as the device booted -- I then opened it up and saw the RXD/TXD test points labelled on the CPU card, and beeped those out to the test points on the back of the PCB (J17). There was no continuity between either of those points and any pin on the 30-pin connector, so I decided it wasn't UART 0, at least ... I connected up my FT232RL up to those pads and got all the bootup debug spew I expected, so I decided that mystery was solved (the mystery of where UART0 was).Those two pins on the 30-pin are obviously connected to *something* -- they even have 15K pull-up resistors on them. 15K didn't mean much to me, but when I went and traced the other lines to the other internal USB pads, I noticed that they also had a 153 resistor on each line -- and I didn't see those values anywhere else, so it seemed like it was worth a shot. (I've seen some devices be sneaky and run serial RX/TX lines over USB connectors before -- this is the first time I've seen the reverse!) I tried connecting the two data lines one way and got some error message about a failure to enumerate usb2, so I swapped the D+/D- and the thing enumerated. No secret manual here, sorry
I would really like to figure out which of the pins on that card edge are JTAG, though.Are you sure about those video signals? It seems like one of these pins *has* to be 5v out, but I was afraid to actually pull current from either of those pins.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not any more. I'm betting pin 10 would be the 5 volts out but it is getting late to check. It would fit with the other two being D- and D+. I got fooled by the close cross reference to the IPOD pinout.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Coinfirmed. I just ran pin 9 and pin 10 back to the same 5 volt plane that theat the wifi usb draws from. It now apears that pin 9 and 10 both provide 5v to the docking port USB.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Nice work all. So this pair is the second USB host (first being internal)?[quote author=donaldson link=topic=216.msg2415#msg2415 date=1274913763]pin 12: USB2 -datapin 13: USB2 +data[/quote]And this pair is a USB client?[quote author=donaldson link=topic=216.msg2415#msg2415 date=1274913763]pin 25: USB -datapin 27: USB +data[/quote]Is that right? The 12/13 pins are used by Apple for iPod serial remote controls, so it looks like by gutting a remote control cable or an iPod extension cable that passes through the remote signal, you can build a USB port on a cable.Something like this:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350308555550Or sparkfun has the "PodGizmo" breakout board. I actually have one of these at home, so I'll hook it up to verify:http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8295

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
[quote author=projectgus link=topic=216.msg4864#msg4864 date=1275628313]Right, sorry. :-[ I stopped reading that thread cos the OP was completely clueless about what USB actually was, so it figured it wasn't going anywhere.(Relevant bit, for anyone reading here: http://slatedroid.com/index.php?topic=210.30)Maybe SlateDroid needs a wiki?[/quote]That's a very good idea, I may go about setting one up when I have finished fixing the server.

·
Registered
8 Posts
To all looking into the Docking Port, USB, making a custom cable, and especially for those looking for Console Output. Bushings post says everything you need to know. There are other threads on the forum, but this was the one that worked for me. * To get started, let me suggest that you purchase a 30 pin iPod connector. I got mine from SparkFun, DEV-08295 for $15. * Donaldson presents the pinout for the Eken001 docking connector; this pinout differs from an actual iPod, review:http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml * Notice that the iPod has its serial lines on pins 12 and 13. The Eken puts its elusive second USB port on these pins. * Thus, to acquire access to the serial lines, you need to remove the cover, and the single screw that holds the motherboard to the plastic case. On the back of the motherboard, look for the jumper, J17 has four pads. One is Ground, serial transmit, receive, and I'll talk about the fourth below. * Solder some wires such that they can exit underneath and around the SD card. There is clearance there, just be neat. * Bushing is precise in his use of a USB to TTL UART. Do not use your computer's built in serial port, attempt to build you own DB-9 cable on pins 2,3,5, etc. Your computer's serial port is buffered for real RS-232 voltages (12v to -12V if memory serves me correctly.) Whereas the USB UART works with the voltage inside you Eken. These UART coast $6 on eBay. * Assuming you use Linux, you USB UART will automatically be assigned to /dev/ttyUSB0 and assuming you use minicom as you terminal emulator, set the serial port, and connection parameters to 115200 8N1. Now, power up and the console should appear. * Hit a return after reboot and you will be at the command line prompt, with root access. * Now, hit the Reset button (it's next to the Docking Port on the motherboard) and immediately hit a return, you'll be at the U-Boot prompt.All of this is in Bushing and Donaldson's posts. I have just mentioned the really basic stuff is assumed most already know.That fourth pad: I connect an oscilloscope and there is a pulse train there. If other EE's need details...

·
Registered
119 Posts
[quote name='donaldson;2397]bushingAwesome. How did you see it! I had totally discounted those lines for sure. Credit goes to you 'cause that is the second USB port. NOw tell me how you know (and more importantly) what else you know! Here's the update on the docking [URL=connector:pin]connector:pin[/URL] 1 & 2: groundpin 3: audio out rightpin 4: audio out leftpin 7: hmmmm connect to mb but no correlation to ipod.pin 9: 5vpin 10: 5v[b]pin 12: USB2 -datapin 13: USB2 +data[/b]pin 14 - 16: Groundpin 18: 3.3Vpin 23: 5V USBpin 25: USB -datapin 27: USB +datapin 29 & 30: groundpins 5' date=' 6, 8, 11, 17,19, 20, 21, 22, 24, 26, 28: NCMore info to follow once I find the camera.[/QUOTE']bumpeda question . is the 1 usb host and the other not? or both the same?and can i conclude that t he m002 2x usb and ethernet is a usb hub with integrated tj45 and so wil also work with the m001 because its al usb to ethernet? and not real ethernet on the M001 and M002?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts