Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to get mobile internet by connecting my HTC Hero to the aPad (in HOST mode) and using the integrated 'Mobile Network Sharing' in my Modaco ROM. My Hero says that it is connected and sharing its connection, but the aPad does not recognise it. I also noticed that the Hero starts sucking the juice out of the aPad when connected in HOST mode. The Hero is a very thirsty sucker. :)Has anyone gotten their mobile network sharing to work via USB?Edit: Wifi Tether on Hero/G1 does not work either, since that only creates an ad-hoc spot and Android OS can not connect to ad-hoc wireless networks at the moment. I must have had some WIFI hotspot in range that it connected to automatically when I tried the last time on my Hero. I just tried again today and the Hero ad-hoc wifi does not show up on the aPad.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm so jealous, I have wireless for root on my G1 it works for my netbook and even my desktop but my Eken will not see the network of the phone. If you have any ideas it would be fantastic. By the way have you gotten wireless for root yp work wih your Apad and G1? Thanks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
[quote author=Giuseppe_ncaj link=topic=324.msg3488#msg3488 date=1275252854]I'm using Pdanet with my iPhone and I know that it exists for Android... it may help...[/quote]Hi, I do have PDanet cost me $30 and it does work, I used it alot before I rooted my phone and didnt need to use a cord any longer. Also my Eken M001 does not have a usb slot to connect to my G1. Thanks though I appreciate all ideas

·
Registered
23 Posts
[quote author=brie987 link=topic=324.msg3490#msg3490 date=1275253144][quote author=Giuseppe_ncaj link=topic=324.msg3488#msg3488 date=1275252854]I'm using Pdanet with my iPhone and I know that it exists for Android... it may help...[/quote]Hi, I do have PDanet cost me $30 and it does work, I used it alot before I rooted my phone and didnt need to use a cord any longer. Also my Eken M001 does not have a usb slot to connect to my G1. Thanks though I appreciate all ideas
[/quote]HiI have an iphone with internet data and i really want to tether it to apad cause i don't have wifi at homeCan you please help me how to tether it using pdanet, i tried to install the pdanet on my iphoen but it seem not workingdo i have to install pdanet on apad,does pdanet sell on android marketPlease adviced thanks very much

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PDANet requires a proprietary software to be installed on the node (in this case your aPad) that receives the tether from the host (your phone). So unless PDAnet releases the node software for Android we are all SOL.

·
Registered
1 Posts
PDANET does not require software installed on the device. It can use Bluetooth or WIFI but the WIFI connection requires that the device do an AD-HOC connection to the phone or have both devices connect through a wireless router. I don't know if Android allows an ad-hoc connection and if the software is compatible but it's worth a try. Instructions are on the junefabrics.com website.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I start PDANET, the first thing it tells me is that I have to install the client software (USB Tether) on my Windows PC for PDANET to work. Since there is no "USB Tether" for Android, you will not be able to use PDANET between two Android devices.And as I wrote earlier in this thread:[quote author=gevrik link=topic=324.msg3456#msg3456 date=1275244795]Android does not support connecting to ad-hoc wireless networks yet.[/quote]Not even Root can connect to ad-hoc WIFI networks on Android, so the FAQ on the PDANET site is wrong, too. There's simply no Kernel support for ad-hoc wifi networks.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[quote author=Mr ILIA link=topic=324.msg6244#msg6244 date=1276013758]Damn, was so hoping to tether my Nexus One to Eken (when it arrives).Also, here is the link, there is reference to some website http://www.connectify.me/Can someone check it out and report?[/quote]What you said in your edit: Connectify Requires Windows 7
If you're referring to bitslice's blog, I have to say that this would work, but you will have to use the described procedure on both your pad and your phone. And for your pad, you will need to cook your own ROM to accomplish that, since the pad uses a cramfs which can't be remounted to read/write to push the files back (which is needed according to the guide).Maybe one of our ROM cookers can magically add this in a custom ROM? :)Here's some info from the linked site:
Just found that in stock Android Settings.apk sources, don't know if Cliq has excatly the same Settings.apk but maybe it's related. See http://bit.ly/cucLCs :src/com/android/settings/wifi/WifiLayer.java:...1131 /*1132 * Ignore adhoc, enterprise-secured, or hidden networks.1133 * Hidden networks show up with empty SSID.1134 */1135 if (AccessPointState.isAdhoc(scanResult)1136 || AccessPointState.isEnterprise(scanResult)1137 || TextUtils.isEmpty(scanResult.SSID)) {1138 continue;1139 **...I don't know how to recompile that into an apk, but I'd really like to try myself? Can anyone point me to any Guide/howto out there? (I'd try to change that, and post my results of course!).
I guess this should work:
...1131 /*1132 * Ignore enterprise-secured, or hidden networks.1133 * Hidden networks show up with empty SSID.1134 */1135 if (AccessPointState.isEnterprise(scanResult)1137 || TextUtils.isEmpty(scanResult.SSID)) {1138 continue;1139 **...

·
Registered
8 Posts
New to android, please do not flame me, my iphone is jailed and I use my wifi which will tether with /or without cable or blue tooth connection will this work with the apad? Thanks! ;D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Losian, I use the Myfi app as well and from my understanding this app creates an AP network (non-adhoc) so it should work (in theory) I do not have a tablet device (yet) so I'm unable to test. Hope you are able to get something working!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.