Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Something that drives me crazy is always trying to figure out approximate battery life for a tablet... So lets all work together on this one.

1. If you want to participate, download "elixir 2"

2. Let your tablet FULLY CHARGE

3. Pick a screen brightness using the power control widget and leave it

4. Turn WiFi on or off and leave it

5. Take note of any special hacks (i.e. is 3G support disabled on your device?)

6. Take note of what firmware you are running (I am on 1.6t)

7. Try to keep rough track of what you use your tablet for during the day.

8. Don't charge it all all (including plugging it into USB) and let it go until it is at 15%

9. Check Elixir 2 and record "uptime" and "real uptime"

10. Report in here and include all the details...

I am testing my device today from a full charge... will tell you what happens...

So far 4 hours of use - almost all 3D gaming or heavy downloading (I am testing for the gaming thread) - WiFi-on, lowest brightness setting. 3G is disabled on my device per Tasselhof's script. Firmware is 1.6t. Battery is currently at 31%. I am going to open up a "book" now in NOOK (this keeps the screen open) and flip pages while I get some other work done... nothing else will change... So far I am pretty impressed. 3D gaming life is decent to say the least...

-------------------Results-----------------
TOTAL of 5hrs 57min Uptime, 6hrs 10minutes "Real" Uptime before 15% battery warning - 3:00hrs heavy 3d gameplay, 1 hour heavy downloading, 2 hours reading
- Low Brightness, WiFi ON, 3G disabled

-------------------Results Day 2-----------

5hrs 5min Uptime, 13hrs 52min "Real" Uptime before 15% warning, 2hrs 30min of heavy 2D gameplay, 1hr 30min of music (speaker/max volume), 1hr reading/internet browsing/email
- High Brightness, WiFi ON, 3G disabled, also it is worth noting that I changed my screen timeout from 30seconds to 30minutes. I am sure this made a big difference today because I also had the screen on high brightness.

Based on these two days of testing I am going to go ahead and flag this devices as a "go" for resell on my site. It has passed my own battery endurance tests with pretty decent results. I think this device is probably a little better than the WoPad i7 on battery life, a little worse than the Meiying Phantom M11 and about 2/3 of what the RENA3 can get.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Roman: is the battery life comparable to the renesas tablet?
I haven't been able to do much heavy 3D gaming on the RENA3 so I can't speak to that end. I may try to install some games on the RENA3 again to see if I can get them to work.

With all that being said, my feeling (based on using both devices) is that the RENA3 still gets significantly more battery life... Like perhaps 30-40% more use. But, I also didn't know about Elixir2 when I did battery testing with the RENA3 so a lot of that was just "feel."

A friend has borrowed my RENA3 for the last 3 weeks. I am planning on getting it back sometime soon and doing a comparison review.

The two devices are very similar but I think the NOVO 7 Advanced is hands-down a much better device:

Here is where they are nearly the same... Daily Use Speed/UI Smoothness/etc.... Before the NOVO7 Advanced, The RENA3 was "unmatched" imho in regards to how well it can run Android. Animations were all smooth. Response is perfect. Typing is fast and it works well. The internet is "quick"... Pages load really fast and the things like pinch-to-zoom are perfect (no stutter or lag at all). All of this can be said for the NOVO7. A first in my experience. I have used several other tablets now and only the NOVO7 has been comparable to the RENA3 in this area.

Obviously the are very close in size as well. What I mean by this is that the Wopad i7 is also a 7" device but it is significantly larger because the bezel is so much wider.

RENA3 Has Bluetooth and better battery life... It also has significantly better WiFi sensitivity/distance. That has been a gripe I have had with the NOVO7 Advanced... WiFi distance really sucks. On my RENA3 I can get 2 bars in my back room. The NOVO7 barely stays connected. I get 5 bars when right next to my router but as soon as I move 15 feet away with a wall in between I can be down to 2 bars. The RENA3 would still have a full signal. I am really hoping this is just poor firmware on the NOVO7's part and not a design flaw.

Other than those things, the WiFi being the most glaring, the NOVO7 is a thoroughly superior device. All functions work perfectly including HDMI-out. The processor is ridiculously good for games from what I have seen. The MALI-400 GPU thoroughly trumps the underpowered SGX530 that is paired with the NEC A9.

Build quality is LEAPS and BOUNDS better than the RENA3 which in turns is LEAPS better (perhaps not bounds as well but certainly leaps at least) than the WoPad I7.

Haptic Feedback actually feels very high quality on the NOVO7 whereas on the RENA3 I leave it turned off because it feels cheap.

No really stupid annoying issues that never get fixed... Like "wake from sleep." While we are on that topic... Android 2.3 out of the box.... did I mention flawlessly working HDMI-out? Oh yeah.. and MicroSD card mounting and unmounting and USB-to-PC connectivity that doesn't freeze or crash the machine.

It really is amazing to have a fully working device from a Chinese company. I don't mean that as a slur at all, it is just a "well known fact" that when you get a China Tab you expect problems. I haven't really had any (aside from having to manually load the market initially) with this tablet. Props to Ainol.

Oh and while I am handing on props to different Manufacturers I just want to say, Good JOB Meiying for producing and equally awesome device, that being the Phantom M11. It is much the same in the sense that performance and stability are great, battery life rocks, and build quality and phenomenal.

Anyhow (me climbing down from soapbox now
...), that is probably more answer than you wanted. My only major gripe with the device is the quite WEAK WiFi... There always does have to be something... If I could boost my WiFi reception, I would consider this tablet a nearly perfect win.

Cheers,

Roman

http://topnotchtablets.com

·
Registered
263 Posts
Could someone confirm the wireless N? Some sites say b.g.n some say just b.g

Sent from my rotary dial phone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hey Roman, just out of interest, are you still on the 1.6t or have you updated to the 1.7.2? If you have updated, have you noticed any major issues with battery drainage compared to the 1.6t build? I know that it's really for a separate section, but do you also know if the webcams worked for Skype on the 1.6t build like it does with the 1.7.2 build now?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey Roman, just out of interest, are you still on the 1.6t or have you updated to the 1.7.2? If you have updated, have you noticed any major issues with battery drainage compared to the 1.6t build? I know that it's really for a separate section, but do you also know if the webcams worked for Skype on the 1.6t build like it does with the 1.7.2 build now?
Also waiting for Roman's input. But for me, from 1.5.1 to 1.7 (1.7.2 by MrTasselhof), battery life has improved slightly. The biggest improvement though I have to say is the screen. Lowest brightness settings right now looks so much better than it did on 1.5.1. Contrast has also improved substantially. It's surprising how much a simple FW update can do. Though I'm a bit pissed off at how Chainfire3D's per-app settings aren't working anymore.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just upgrade my firwmare today to 1.7.2 - it broke B&N Nook which is like 50% of my tablet use lol. I am going back to 1.6t so no time for comparison testing.

I thought battery life was pretty good and I had 1.6t before. that is what all my reporting up above was done on.

Cheers,

Roman

1 - 8 of 8 Posts