Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Is there much call for a forum for the Tesco Hudl 2 Tablet?

It runs on Intel Baytrail Z3735D

so it's an quad core 1.86mhz intel atom x86 based SOC, Intel HD Graphics, 1920x1800 8.2" screen and runs Android 4.4.2 (plus one or two OTA updates, fixingg some KitKat limitations like you can move some apps to external SD, and some charging issues).

It's made by Pegatron and sold throughout the UK in Tesco (our biggest supermarket chain, think Walmart or similar) stores so it's very popular here in the UK and compares very well with the usual Samsung Tabs etc. Build quality is good, screen is pretty amazing, it's not the thinnest or lightest design but it's solid and strong. It has some bloatware installed , mainly for Tesco shopping services and Tescos Blinkbox streaming video, book, and audio stores. [Tesco sold off Blinkbox :D Nook took on the bookstore, TalkTalk bought the music service]

The bloatware can be easily removed by installing an alternative launcher (Google Now, Nova, Apex) and freezing those apps you don't use.

There's been some work done at the Modaco site to root, which involves using ADB/Fastboot to write a system image that includes Superuser. Haven't found any other way :-(

Hopes of running Win8, or dual booting, seem to difficult due to bios or lockdown issues. Same for installing a custom recovery, which would be very useful.

So, anyone own these, have any tips/links to share, and does it deserve a subforum under Baytrail Z3735 ?

Reactions: mrsburnout

·
Premium Member
7,365 Posts
Hi

Is there much call for a forum for the Tesco Hudl 2 Tablet?

It runs on Intel Baytrail Z3735D

so it's an quad core 1.86mhz intel atom x86 based SOC, Intel HD Graphics, 1920x1800 8.2" screen and runs Android 4.4.2 (plus one or two OTA updates, fixingg some KitKat limitations like you can move some apps to external SD, and some charging issues).

It's made by Pegatron and sold throughout the UK in Tesco (our biggest supermarket chain, think Walmart or similar) stores so it's very popular here in the UK and compares very well with the usual Samsung Tabs etc. Build quality is good, screen is pretty amazing, it's not the thinnest or lightest design but it's solid and strong. It has some bloatware installed , mainly for Tesco shopping services and Tescos Blinkbox streaming video, book, and audio stores. [Tesco sold off Blinkbox :D Nook took on the bookstore, TalkTalk bought the music service]

The bloatware can be easily removed by installing an alternative launcher (Google Now, Nova, Apex) and freezing those apps you don't use.

There's been some work done at the Modaco site to root, which involves using ADB/Fastboot to write a system image that includes Superuser. Haven't found any other way :-(

Hopes of running Win8, or dual booting, seem to difficult due to bios or lockdown issues. Same for installing a custom recovery, which would be very useful.

So, anyone own these, have any tips/links to share, and does it deserve a subforum under Baytrail Z3735 ?
Greetings essjayr2,

Thanks for the suggestion/request :good:

I just set up and will be moving this topic to the New Tesco Hudi 2 forum here: http://www.slatedroid.com/forum/1386-tesco-hudi-2/

Good luck and have fun :drinks:

Kind regards,

mrsburnout

·
Registered
97 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info and posts, I'm digging through them but (obviously) more than a little wary about bricking my device.

Modacos version uses pre-rooted roms, written via adb/fastboot

Yours seems to run CWM as a one-off, rather than installing it as a recovery. Seems to have worked on many other intel tabs. All new to me, but still , promising.

Hopefully something will come soon. The main reason to root this tab is to get rid of bloatware, various updates have left it at 4.4 and it has "move apps to SD" (which works for many, but not, all apps). Link2Sd would be something I'd like to use on it too.

Further down the line rooted means some kind of Xposed framework can also be added, and there's talk of booting Win8 or dual booting but there's some bios issues (more stuff I don't understand :-D ). It might have a locked bootloader, too, but your booting into CWM rather than changing the boot image should be fine?

More research needed ---- and carefully does it.

Even without ANY hacking it's a nice tablet with a sharp screen, fast processor, and enough ram to get you going. The specs for the chip apparently include stuff like FM radio etc but no-ones making custom roms here, it's only really popular in the UK, but in theory what's been learned on similar specced tablets should give a good grounding :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Windows 8.1? Does anyone know how to install it on the hudl two, or atleast a custom opreating system like ubuntu touch, or firefox os? I really don't like android and would like someone else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.