Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got a Teclast P75HD? Is this Teclast's latest 7-inch offering?

I am interested but would like to find out more about its performance.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Anyone got a Teclast P75HD? Is this Teclast's latest 7-inch offering?

I am interested but would like to find out more about its performance.
Just got one in today actually...

So far I am thoroughly impressed but lets talk about the cons first and then I can gush freely about everything else...

Cons...
1. No HDMI-out
2. Battery life (maybe? Haven't tested endurance yet)
3. Pre-loaded with Android 2.3 out of the box. States it is ICS upgradeable though.
4. No dedicated charge port, must charged by USB. Doesn't include a USB to Wall adapter (had my supplier add on in though and will do for our customers as well)
5. Initial testing shows WiFi range to be a little weak which is somewhat expected in that the back panel is metal

Pros...
1. Good lord it's thin... A smidge thinner than the Aurora actually...

2. Absolutely phenomenal build quality. I will go over it with a fine tooth comb but this thing is just absolutely AMAZING. Best 7" tablet I have ever held in my hand on either side of the ocean... yeah no kidding and NO I am not building this up more than it really is. This is thing is nice. NO Creaking, Totally SOLID, very very Lightweight. Feels phenomenal to hold. Puts the Aurora and the Haipad I7 to shame. There is NOT comparison in build quality between this and the Haipad...

3. Absoluley GORGEOUS GORGEOUS IPS Screen. Looks even nicer than the Aurora Screen! This is THE BEST IPS screen I have ever seen on a 7" device

4. Teclast claims a 3500 mAh battery which is actually better than both the Hyundai A7HD AND the Haipad i7. It might actually have decent run-time I just haven't had a chance to test yet.

5. 1 Gb if DDR3 means great overall performance especially under Android 2.3.4

6. Backlit front face buttons! YES FINALLY A FLIPPING CHINESE MANUFACTURER THAT USED BACKLIGHTS FOR THE FRONT FACING BUTTONS!! Smart to... the only come on when you touch the front panel.

7. DEDICATED VOLUME ROCKER!!! YES.... Thank you Teclast!

8. Nice LOUD speaker

For once it seems like a ChinaTab has gotten it pretty much ALL right. Do I wish it had HDMI-out? YES, but the device is so nice otherwise it isn't a deal breaker. This is a device that will draw attention... Your friends WILL want one when then see it
. I would like to also see Android ICS for this device but Android 2.3 is actually still the better OS for compatibility and speed at the moment.

Wifi range is a bit short but it is a 150 Mbps chip at least and not some 75 Mbps chips like some cheaper tabs.

I am just going to be frank, this device is expensive for an A10 7" device, even with the IPS screen... BUT you GET what you PAY for. The Haipad I7 offers a similar experience (Thin, IPS Screen, A10 processor) and even has some additional features... HDMI-Out, ICS, Front and Rear Cameras... the battery on the Haipad is just tiny.

So spec for spec the Haipad I7 looks like the better buy...

Until you own both units and compare them side by side...

The Haipad I7 feels like it s made out of rubber. It will bend and flex and I think I could snap it with my hands pretty easily... This is part of the reason we decided not to sell the unit... The Teclast P75HD is very rigid and solid. It also still has rounded corners and side which make it very pleasant to hold for an extended period of time. At least I would guess, I haven't had it very long yet.

The Haipad I7 has ICS ... GREAT... but it is glitchy and functions like screen dimming control don't work at all. The screen is always max brightness. ICS is only good if it runs correctly and well. Give me a stable version of 2.3 any day. I will take a good build of ICS over a good build of 2.3. Don't get me wrong, I want ICS on the P75HD, but what I am saying is that the Android 2.3 build that is on it works well and is perfectly usable from what I have seen thus far.

Lets talk camera... the Haipad i7 DOES have front and back cams ... big whoop because they both suck.

The front cam on the P75HD isn't anything to write home about but it is usable. If Haipad had done a decent job at all with their rear cam I could have seen why it would be a cool feature. They didn't, it's useless, so it is a non-point when comparing devices.

HDMI out missing is a bummer, there isn't much more to say about that. I don't really care for myself (I have other devices with HDMI out) but I can see where this might be a decision point for a customer wanting a multi-purpose device.

The speaker on this unit is deliciously loud.

--- So that is the comparison between this and the Haipad... How about the Aurora??

Well, lets just preface this with the fact that I really don't like Ainol and I view the brand as a big negative when comparing to any of their devices. I have solid founded reasons for this too. Ainol produces incomplete products as a general rule of thumb. Teclast has obviously taken some time with the P75HD.

Assuming you get an Aurora with a screen that has no massive light spots and no dead pixels. You get a unit where the touchscreen actually works and doesn't have major sensitivity issues, you get a unit where the front face of device and the plastic back casing actually meet up and there is no huge 2mm gap on the front... BARRING all those issues... The Ainol Aurora is probably the better buy.

The Build quality on the Teclast is still light-years better. But if you actually land an Aurora that doesn't have quality problems (good luck) the build is on the better end of good. It isn't AMAZING but it is very nice and I really do mean that.

The Screen on the Teclast is nicer. Yes they are both IPS screen and NO I haven't seen the Aurora's with the LG IPS screens. But I have an Aurora with a problem free Hitachi IPS and it looks very very nice. But the Teclast is brighter, has absolutely NO flaws, and even has seemingly better viewing angles. If Ainol has really upped their game with the LG screens then perhaps the two are even now. As it stands though, the Teclast screen wins vs the Aurora I have on hand.

The Aurora has a slightly larger battery (3600 mAh or 3700 mAh) and HDMI-out. That's the big reason why the Aurora wins. If it weren't for the HDMI-out, I would say just go with the Teclast, it is better otherwise in all respects. If you don't think you will ever need HDMI-out (many folks don't care, they have smart devices as is hooked up to their TV's like PS3's and smart blu-ray players, etc.) then go Teclast all the way.

Hope that review was helpful. I still need to do battery testing.

If you haven't guessed, the Teclast will be hitting our shelves sometime in the very very near future.

Kind Regards,

Roman

EDIT: I DID BATTERY TESTING - THIS IS THE WORST TABLET I HAVE EVER TESTED FOR BATTERY LIFE - IT BARELY PULLED OVER 2 1/2 HOURS AT MAX BRIGHTNESS with WIFI CONNECTED - DO NOT BUY THIS DEVICE

I Am so very very disappointed. I finally thought some Chinese company had FINALLY gotten it right.... WRONG... HOW does a company even begin to think a device like this should be sold??

G

·
Bah...2.3 is dead and buried,I don't care how good its implemented. ICS is soooooo much better across the board. If you sell these,wait for an ICS port,your doing no one any favors selling yesterdays OS. Everything else sounds good,just not as good as it could be. The dual cores are gonna make all of the A10's obsolete in a few months,thats also another thing to consider. Look forward,not back roman...its the only way to go

·
Global Moderator
878 Posts
I must admit, I'm not a fan of glowing reviews on any new tablet Roman, mainly because first impressions should be tempered with a higher level of a critical eye. In that I mean that you should give the tablet a week or so of daily use, then judge it. You already note that wifi is weak and by the sound of it, it is weak because of asthetic construction, stiffness of the case cannot be plastic because it's so thin and then wifi suffers, already a favorite issue with a lot of users.

I expect Android 4.0 is available for it.

Allwinner A10, well I'll agree with dragon2knight on that one, I sort of like the idea of the IPS screen 1024x600 but I think it deserves to be driven by a dual-core and I suspect the P75HD will be rapidly superceded by the P75HD II

That being said, here we are, June 11th and Aliexpress assurance plus dealers have started selling generic A13 Capacitives with mass market 800x480s bog standard screens skirting the $55 price point I think we will see consumers rushing to the zero, not the excellence (and of course, many new members here at SD when firmware is none existent)

Thanks for the review, but let us know more in a week when the honeymoon is over.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I must admit, I'm not a fan of glowing reviews on any new tablet Roman, mainly because first impressions should be tempered with a higher level of a critical eye. In that I mean that you should give the tablet a week or so of daily use, then judge it. You already note that wifi is weak and by the sound of it, it is weak because of asthetic construction, stiffness of the case cannot be plastic because it's so thin and then wifi suffers, already a favorite issue with a lot of users.

I expect Android 4.0 is available for it.

Allwinner A10, well I'll agree with dragon2knight on that one, I sort of like the idea of the IPS screen 1024x600 but I think it deserves to be driven by a dual-core and I suspect the P75HD will be rapidly superceded by the P75HD II

That being said, here we are, June 11th and Aliexpress assurance plus dealers have started selling generic A13 Capacitives with mass market 800x480s bog standard screens skirting the $55 price point I think we will see consumers rushing to the zero, not the excellence (and of course, many new members here at SD when firmware is none existent)

Thanks for the review, but let us know more in a week when the honeymoon is over.
1 day later and I still love the unit but I agree with you on new devices looking nice for a while and then not. I haven't fully taken the unit for a run yet, granted, but it does make a heck of a good first impression.

Anyhow, did you see my bolded edits on the unit? Battery life is horrid
Can't sell it as it can't even hit 3 hours. I suspect it is due to the somewhat ludicrously bright IPS screen but all the same, the battery life is what it is. I love the design so much though it is a shame it isn't any better than what it is.

In regards to the A10... call me crazy but I just can't embrace the RK3066 for at least another month, maybe 2. The chinese don't spend any time working out chipset flaws. The A10 had some bad ones at launch. In 2 months when the RK3066 is a stable chip (and everyone is talking about the next chinese quad core of course) I will happily embrace. In the mean time, I would be happy if someone could just produce a great quality 7" A10 device. Which is what I was hoping that the Teclast P75HD would be. And it was... until I tested the battery.

In regards to the OS. Yes, ICS is wonderful.... now. But only just now or maybe for the last month. It was buggy as all get out and slow as frozen snot until very recently. Gingerbread is still the more compatible OS of the 2 as well I think.

As I said in the review, I will take a good implementation of ICS over a good implementation of GB any day of the weak and I count the GB install as a negative in the case of this device. However, I will take a good implemenation of GB over a poor implemenation of ICS and MOST of the ICS implementations up until about 6 weeks ago were pretty aweful. Yes yes... 6 weeks is an eternity when it comes to this stuff... I realize.

Anyhow, you make totally fair points all the same, I am just ruminating a bit.

Kind Regards,

-Roman

·
Global Moderator
878 Posts
And there's the rub, I'm sort of convinced that as with most of the established and not-so established manufacturers out there, that they play this pee-wee hockey game of chasing the puck and the "big picture" is sort of lost on them as they rush product to market. The A10 and A13 SoC being a good example and it's implementation and now, absolute mass production such that unit costs push the retail price point towards the $50 level.

So, putting in a lower rated battery shaves $3 off the unit cost and that's a 6% saving to the manufacturer, in addition, it's a lighter solution, so that can save shipping costs, you're even seeing "real" packaging going missing and we'll start calling it "unbubblewrapping" instead of "unboxing". All with the goal of selling the "transistor radio of the era" for the cheapest possible price.

A chap on TV called this the "race to zero" in that instead of continuous improvement of product, the tendency is for this downward spiral into the toaster mentality, that the mass market buys based on cost and cost alone, so sad, but so true.

It's the whole Walmart concept and I was about to make a comparison with pickles, but I won't.

·
Registered
91 Posts
For me, I think dedicated charge port is a con to me. I had a hard time looking for a extra charger for my Wopad i7 due to its dedicated charging cable/adapter. I always prefer using USB charging. What is the type of USB required? Micro USB or Mini USB?

Looks like Teclast P75HD is not meant to be my replacement for Wopad i7. How's the battery performance with Wifi turned off and brightness set on Auto?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts