Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently stumbled upon this tablet market in my quest for a nice ebook/pdf reader. I had initially been looking into the Kindle, though after seeing how slow the screen responce is and how limited the device was I started looking else were.From the snooping about that I have done over the past couple of days I think an Android tablet will suite my needs perfectly. The primary function of this unit will be to read books and primarily .pdf documents. With these devices being in a similar price range to the Kindle they seem like a MUCH better solution as I would be able to do a host of other tasks as well if i needed to.Now it comes down to choices... and there happens to be alot of them as im sure you are all aware. I think that I have it narrowed to a couple choices, Price doesent really matter... though i dont want to be throwing money away on this thing...The choices that I have it narrowed down to are;Moonse E7001 - Rockchip APadMoonse FE7001/Moonse E7002 - whatever you call it, the Telechips APadWitstech A81-E - Havent been able todig much up on this oneZenithink ZT-180- I know it has a diffrent CPU and a bunch of controversy but tht doesent really matter to me.Now my qestions about the devices. How much better is the Telechips CPU over the Rockchip? The Cortex in the wits over the Telechip/Rockchip? Or the mystery chip in the Zenithink?Is Android 2.1 (I hear that the wits will be updatable to 2.2) a huge improcement over 1.5/1.6? Or does it perform similarly on the faster hardware?What is the batery life like on these devices? I would like to see 3+ hours out of whatever device I end up getting, more would be nice though (closer to 5?)I havent been able to find much concreate info on battery life, or comparison in performance.Hoping that you guys can give me some more information, and help me pickout one or two devices.I'm looking for rough estimations on the cpu speed percentage faster over the other chips, etc.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Some considerations:Offshore vs local buys - By and large, most tablets discussed on SD are only available from offshore vendors. That means returns are problematic with long turnarounds. Recently, there are some newly minted middlemen popping up (eg. Enso, FlatComputing), but they have no track record. The only tablet that has easy returns is the Augen GenTech from Kmart, but it lacks many features, firmware is severely buggy, and build quality is poor.As you notice, every choice above has a "but" in it. For safer choices, the simple answer is to wait until 4Q, when more mainstream vendors like Acer, Asus, etc will make their tablet play. The products right now are mainly for techies and hackers, who don't mind spending time loading custom ROMs and debugging problems. Android tablets are still in beta. If you want a consumer-ready tablet now, get an iPad.The big deal about Android 2.1 is that, aside from performance/UI improvements, you don't have to worry about apps incompatibility. 2.1 also differentiates between 1st-gen tablets, which are uniformly underpowered and buggy, and the upcoming 2nd-gen products. In short, 2.1 should be on top of the checklist.Re: Battery life - It's hard to say, since most of these tablets still are running beta versions of A2.1 or 2.2, and battery life is unoptimized. Expect 2-3 hrs of general use on wifi, or less if viewing movies. Some like the Wits have longer battery. Generally speaking, battery life and storage capacity (usually 2GB) are the minimum acceptable in the case of Chinese tablets, probably for cost reasons.Re: CPU - For existing products, there are three CPU cores: ARM9 (ARMv5), ARM11 (ARMv6), Cortex A8/A9 (ARMv7). Newer cores run faster than older ones per MHz.ARM architecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaARM9: Rockchip RK2808 (usually @600MHz), VIA Wondermedia WM8505 (usually @350MHz)ARM11: Telechips TCC8902 (usually @720 or 800MHz), ZT-180 (@1GHz)ARM Cortex A8 (usually @600MHz, 800MHz, or 1GHz)ARM Cortex A9: Nvidia Tegra 2 (1GHz and up)The Rockchip & VIA tablets are "1st-gen" devices. They don't run A2.1, and are underpowered. At this point, you can ignore these.Telechips looks to be the new low-end CPU. It can do 480p and probably 720p, once the FW is stable and optimized.The mid-range will be the Cortex A8 at various speeds. The most popular will probably be the 1GHz variety, and most likely to appear in larger (9/10") form factors.The high-end will be the Tegra 2 and other Cortex A9 types.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a 7 inch rockchip 1.5 white and love it. the battery is about 3 hours wifi on, more with wifi off. The processor is good enough for me. I play with apps ,music, movies, reading, browesing. I can run about two things at once but its pushing it.I am waiting for the 10 inch to work out because I want a bigger screen to view and play on. My only complaints is the browsers I have tried just about every one out and they all seem so buggy, so far dolphin browser works best for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ended up ordering an Apad v2 last night as I ended up getting a good price on it ($135 shipped to Canada)I dont really have an issue with ordering thigns from overseas, and I dont expect this unit to be of the same quality as an Ipad.I work professionally in the IT industry so tweeking and modding is of no real problem either (plan to try our the RB firmware when it gets here and compare it to the stock loaded firmware.) I also have a rouch plan to add some more battery life onto it via replacing the battery etc, so an excuse to play with it wont be needed ;)If the Apad turns out to not have enough power for me I will jsut give it to a friend as his birthday is coming up soon and maybe Ill order a Wits or ZT-180. I dont want to be spending more than $300 or so on one as for that price I would end up getting a netbook.All the newer devices that are on the way out (the Tegra based units) that I have seen are all MSRPed in the $500 range wich is way to much for something to read .pdfs on...So we will see how well this one handles, Based on all the youtube movies and snippets here and there (is it hard for people to do a proper review on something?) it looks like it will suite my needs.Does anyone have any hands on experiance with the wits unit, or the Zenithink unit?

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
there is a seperate forum for the Wits A81E and for the Zenithink, haave a look in there, i know there is a lot of develpoment going on with the A81E (custum rom recently released thanks to Mns)

·
Registered
58 Posts
@OPThe Rockchip 2808 is stuck at A1.5. Even for e-book reading, you'll have a tough time finding e-readers (or much of anything) compatible with it. Kindle reader requires A1.6+. Anyway, have fun with it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Performance isn't the issue. The Rockchip 2808 in current APads is stuck at Android 1.5. Many apps won't run, and most new ones will require 1.6 or newer (eg Kindle e-reader). You'll be scrounging for old versions of apps. Archos 7 HT users have this problem. Look on their wiki for compatible apps.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I agree with the last few replies. These tablets all need custom roms to work after u take it out the box. The good thing is these ROMS are available on this site. You feel comfy with your purchase cuz we all here to answer questions. I think the Rockchip models have more speed. Other than that they all run android OS with a webcam or without and battery life can't really be reviewed cuz of use. I have gotten 5-6 hours (M003) on a single full charge with wifi on and off and watching some tv shows and surfing the web.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.