Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
For this you need probably root.If you don't have root, get it.I'll wait........Ok open a console, any will do.adb shell works when you activated DebugMode in the Application-Settings and didadb connect <IPofDevice>:5555in the shell type su you command prompt should look somethign like this now: /#you can type free to see that you don't have swap.now goto the LocalDisk or sdcard subdirectory. (You should have a class 6 sdcard for this otherwise use your LocalDisk)change directorys with: cd <directory>now type this:dd if=/dev/zero of=swapfs bs=1024 count=262144this will make a file of aprox. 256MegaByte (1024Byte*256)after that type mkswap swapfs this will format the file to a swapfile.Now we have to setup a loop device.losetup /dev/block/loop1 swapfswill do.now we activate the swapfile:swapon -p 60 swapfsyou may type free again to see that you now have 256MB of RAM and 256MB of swap for about 512MB of working RAM.protip: the 60 in the swapon command determines the priority. the higher the value, the more possible it is that eken tries to swap. Play around with that vale because the more you swap, the longer a program might take to come back from swap.Important:After a reboot you have to do the following commands again!losetup /dev/block/loop1 swapfsswapon -p 60 swapfsHave fun!p.s.: This works on any device with an android custom rom and/or root.Please ask if you got questions.

·
Registered
113 Posts
more room for apps. It's possible to run two or three aps and still come back to home pretty quickly.But no cpu speed gain because we just have a little place to put apps we don't need at the moment.As you can't brick your device in any way, you have nothing to loose to try it though ;)you probably don't even need root.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am still just starting to lean Android. However, I used to work on unix based system (~10 yrs ago)...
losetup /dev/block/loop1 swapfsswapon -p 60 swapfs
What is listed above should be able to be a shell script that runs at each boot, right? Then you wouldn't have to keep manually typing it in each boot. Thoughts?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can only say "yes" :)when you put that into a shellscript and figure out wich one starts at each boot you cna do so (please tell which one it'll be)root isn't necessary is it? (Didn't try today)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have two questions:- I saw another guide where it is possible to do it with SWAPPER app, but it does need to be startedd everytime you reboot. Doing your procedure in the shell, does the effect of the swap stay or does it need to be done anytime as well?- As you know I just received my M003, so I still have to set it up. I will use it with a 4 GB SD card which I already have. Unfortunately I have no idea of which class it is. This evening, when I come back home I will try to see if it is written on it, otherwise does anyone have any advice on how to check the class of my SD?And if cannot manage to retrieve the class, and remain in doubt, can i do the SWAP anyway?How many MB??Many Thanks!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Be careful class ratings aren't always accurate, it represents MININUM speed. I have a Sandisk 8gb class 2 card and its hitting 18mb/s read speed on my Ubuntu desktop using "phoronix-test-suite run hdparm-read" command in terminal. Most of my class 6 cards average 11mb/s. Best part was I got it for $5.Use the Benchmark program by Softweg to check your memory card speed. It has my card reading at 30mb/s.

·
Registered
66 Posts
EDIT: ok i searched for my softweg and i realized that it is an android app, so test directly from M003.then i last just the question which file system to use with m003 and test? FAT32?thank you very much!Ok, this would be nice! If i correctly understood i have to check the speed with the software "my softweg" am i right? Please correct me if i m wrong!Just some question on how to test:- i have macbook, without slot for sd cards. How can i test the sd card? The only ideas coming to my mind is to use a cell phone or usb 3g pen with sd slot to test. Will the test be realistic this case?- is the software my softweg available for macbook? Otherwise which prog should i use?- finally, which kind of file system do i have to format the sd to test and use with M003?? FAT32?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry for writing a new post, but it doesn't allow me to edit anymore.I looked at my microSD. It has written on it: "SDHC" and it has the number with the circle around, this number is a 4, so correct me if I'm wrong, it is a Class 4.I still didn't have time to test actual transfer rate through the device, so i will see if it works faster, but in the meanwhile, let me ask. Is it possible to have SWAP with class 4 (it is 4GB). If yes, up to how many MB?Thank you very much.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ok so the write speed is the value that interests me for swap? Ok, i ll check it, hoping that it is higher than 4mb, as the previous user said it is just the minimum value! I ll test it and get back with results for your advice.Should i format the sd in fat or fat32?Thanks again!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ok, i tested with softweg my sd card.I didn't know where to look at. I think the paramethers that you are talking about are in File System, the last two, write was 2.XXX and read was more than 20 Mb/S.Then which value is important? If it is the read value than i think I can have swap with no problems. Otherwise can you advise how many MB of swap to set?(I admit I still don't have any idea on how to activate swap
)

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
1. you need root to create and use swap.2. one way to activate is with ADB commands search other threads on how to do this no need to repeat it here.3. Another way is with a Swapper app http://a-swapper.googlecode.com/files/lv.n3o.swapper_0.2.0.apk4. size and amount of 'swappiness' varies with what your typical mix of apps is. mine is set at 98Mb range varies from 32-128MB swappiness is set to 60 range is from 20-100.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I finally maaged to get root and done swap. But I haven't recognized such a visible improvement. It seems the same to me!Where should I notice the improvement?Please, can someone tell me how to disable the swap? IT is enough to delete the created swap file?Thank you!

·
Registered
30 Posts
mogrith;44691 said:
1. you need root to create and use swap.2. one way to activate is with ADB commands search other threads on how to do this no need to repeat it here.3. Another way is with a Swapper app http://a-swapper.googlecode.com/files/lv.n3o.swapper_0.2.0.apk4. size and amount of 'swappiness' varies with what your typical mix of apps is. mine is set at 98Mb range varies from 32-128MB swappiness is set to 60 range is from 20-100.
Hi! Mogrith ,I Follow your Item No# 3 after install The aplication then open and on it . Next is ? because I can't go to Item #4 .

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks to Lestek for customizing (rooted) Eken v1.9.1. Now Swapper Auto ON works!!! I uploaded an 11 min video on youtube and your right YOUTUBE AWESOMEness~!!!! ;)LINKKeep voting on your favorite browser, keep MODDING, more post!!!! And someone figure out how to get Pandora working again.I've ran test and 128mb size is the sweet spot, swappiness at 100 is my logical choice since my class 2 microsd card reads at 30mb/s with softweb benchmark.

·
Registered
66 Posts
How did you manage to get swapper2 autostarting on but? I ticked the checkbox but it doesn t work! I have 1.9.1 simply modded with root by a guy here in the forum (one of the first posts in firmware section). Could someone explain please? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.