Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
There has been a lot of discussion re: various USB peripherals via USB host functionality and the consensus opinion from what I have read says it is not likely.That being said, webcam output - potentially directly on the more expensive wireless webcams that support direct rtsp or http streaming, but certainly with a USB webcam hooked to a machine running VLC - would allow you to get the video to the PDN if that is the goal.There are a number of apps for Android that run more-or-less reliably on the PDN that support rtsp. I have tested a few that can connect and display the rtsp streams from VLC's built-in streaming video server. I started a thread on that here. VLC also supports capturing video from USB, built-in, and networked devices, so you could likely get your USB webcam's video stream output via rtsp and displayed on the PDN that way. I can test this for you using my laptop's built-in web cam and VLC streaming it via rtsp to my PDN, but I don't have a USB video cam. The built-in one should be analogous, however unless VLC and the driver SW for you USB cam can't play nice for some reason.Update: Since it was so easy to test (had all the VLC stuff figured out previously) I went ahead and tested streaming the integrated laptop webcam video to the PDN and it worked - sort of slow and a bit of a lag, but what do you expect? It'd likely be better if the PDN had faster wireless - maybe some of the stuff the devs are working on for the froyo firmware will make the PDN wireless better/faster/more reliable/stable....

·
Registered
56 Posts
tadroid are you sure (good idea about VLC streaming too) because a few weeks back HaTaX said this:
HaTaX;39343]Nope said:
The s3c6410 processor does have support for USB Host, and it *should* be pretty easy to turn that back on. My only concern is if you need support for that compiled into the kernel to change it into host mode or if it's a "switch" that's buried somewhere within the existing setup... It's hopeful we could use it for that, but I have no clue if the port that supports host mode is the one on the bottom. Also, host mode only runs at USB 1.1 speeds, but it's better then nothing![/B]Here's the CPU spec sheet if you're curious: http://www.samsung.com/us/business/semiconductor/news/downloads/s3c6410Datasheet_0408.pdf
I think if it is possible it is not going to be very soon because we are still in the early hacking stages( like they are trying to get WIFI working correctly and video drivers too). So I guess time will tell.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I can't believe the USB host mode can only be implemented on USB 1.1 level, with both USB interfaces present in PDN w/out any modding (USB debug and microPCIe) being easily on 2.0 level of throughput.

·
Registered
592 Posts
[quote name='aludal;50510]I can't believe the USB host mode can only be implemented on USB 1.1 level' date=' with both USB interfaces present in PDN w/out any modding (USB debug and microPCIe) being easily on 2.0 level of throughput.[/QUOTE'] I have no idea what you are trying to say, but page 26-2 of the data sheet sums up the usb operation pretty well. the bottom line is the usb interface for the wifi is 1.1, and the external one is 2.0 (host or device).

·
Registered
338 Posts
all I was asking was the possibility to turn on USB 2.0 interface in the host mode. There's also OTG mode that can be realized, I don't know whether it could be of any use to us. Now, much lower bandwidth of USB 1.1 might be a reason connection chokes on bursts of 802.11n mode. Dev's at Samdroid tend to use quite different manual for an s3c6410 reference board which states:4.1. USB HostUSB Host interface supports USB2.0 Full speed and its port is A type/The port supports U-Disk, USB Keyboard, USB Portal Disc, USB Mouse.Below is its circuit drawing of USB Host.Figure4.0 the circuit drawing of USB Host4.2. USB OTGThe controller supports the On-The-Go (OTG) feature. The Universal Serial Bus OTG is a device capable to initiate the session, control the connection and exchange Host/Peripheral roles between each other.USB OTG supports USB 2.0 protocol; it supports High-speed (480Mbps), Full speed (12Mbps), low speed (1.5Mbps) data rates. The S3C6410 Board default runs on high speed and slave mode for conveniently connecting with PC. It can use USB OTG to download program or application when the user in the development.The USB OTG port type is Mini A/B, below picture is its circuit drawing.http://www.embedinfo.com/en/UploadFi...ser_Manual.pdf

·
Registered
592 Posts
otoh, the data sheet I have is pretty old and doesn't mention the 800 mhz core clock either. I wonder if they spun the chip and added 800 mhz and replaced the usb 1.1 hosts with 2.0 ones...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tadroid;50435]There has been a lot of discussion re: various USB peripherals via USB host functionality and the consensus opinion from what I have read says it is not likely.That being said said:
here[/URL]. VLC also supports capturing video from USB, built-in, and networked devices, so you could likely get your USB webcam's video stream output via rtsp and displayed on the PDN that way. I can test this for you using my laptop's built-in web cam and VLC streaming it via rtsp to my PDN, but I don't have a USB video cam. The built-in one should be analogous, however unless VLC and the driver SW for you USB cam can't play nice for some reason.Update: Since it was so easy to test (had all the VLC stuff figured out previously) I went ahead and tested streaming the integrated laptop webcam video to the PDN and it worked - sort of slow and a bit of a lag, but what do you expect? It'd likely be better if the PDN had faster wireless - maybe some of the stuff the devs are working on for the froyo firmware will make the PDN wireless better/faster/more reliable/stable....
@tadroid: Thanks for taking the time to test out your theory. I'm sure we can watch feeds from webcams on PDN, but my main requirement is to be able to use the usb webcam for video chat applications. Or it could also serve as a stand-alone networked remote video monitoring device. I bet the PDN uses a lot less power than keeping my laptop on all the time. I know with USB peripherals, battery life may suck though.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Here is the original link, in post #997. I also couldn't open it in my Chrome (T41, not PDN!) browser, but I just downloaded it, then Google docs opened it for me just fine.IMHO, dev's who tend to read more optimistic specs sheets and reference board manuals, were generally able to find some hidden gems. E.g., Samdroid customers now can use Multi (just 2 fingers though) Touch, they have OC'ed their Spicas to 1066 MHz to run colder and longer than at stock 800 MHz, now they are at the arm length to get to much smoother UI and 720p mp4 smooth playing with their totally rewritten framebuffer driver and 3D/2D driver.It's a great pity that HWgeek who started soldering mic into PDN has disappeared somewhere (prolly busy purchasing all white PDNs he can reach, to start a modding business of producing dorky Shrekphones out of PDNs)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.