Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Supernova has a 'otg' (on the go) usb port.
Things I have gotten to connect.
- USB memory sticks (fat16, fat32) , tested up to 8gb as thats the largest i have
- USB memory card reader
- USB mouse
- USB wireless mouse (microsoft)

I tried a USB external hdd, but it was ntfs and usb powered, so still have more testing to do

·
Registered
2 Posts
- USB memory sticks (fat16, fat32) , tested up to 8gb as thats the largest i have
- USB memory card reader
- USB mouse

I tried a USB external hdd, but it was ntfs and usb powered, so still have more testing to do
What kind of adapter did you use? I haven't been able to get anything other than my computer to connect..

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
What kind of adapter did you use? I haven't been able to get anything other than my computer to connect..
A safe adapter, or at least a sure thing it the replacement OTG adapters for Coby Kyros. You used to be able to get them from their website. There are some people who sell them on Ebay too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually I am one of those people that make it a point to keep the cost of my toys down.
I ended up building my own cable from cables i had around.
USB cables consist of 4 wires, 2 wires for data ( -Data,+Data) and 2 wires for power (+5vdc,gnd).
The mini usb plug has 5 pins.
1 - vcc (+5vdc) , Red wire
2 - Data + , White wire
3 - Data - , Green wire
4 - ID
5 - Ground, Black wire

To turn a usb cable into a host cable, connect pin4 to ground.

I used a usb adapter cable to build mine, that way i could switch out the end with the adapter plugs.
I took a mini usb cable i had around, then using a knife I cut the rubber off the plug by running the knife down each side.
This allowed me to open up the plug to expose the pins, and still be able to put the rubber pieces back on after.
I cut the male end off my usb adapter cable I had ( basically its a usb extension cable, so male on one end and female on the other, then adapters plug into the female end)
I then soldered on in place on the male usb end i cut off, the mini usb plug i cut open.
Pins 4 and 5 are close enough to solder together.
I then covered the connections in crazy glue, and glued the rubber back on the mini usb plug. Put a bit of heat shrink tubing over it and looks good

If you decide to build one, make sure you check your pinouts, as im sure there are cables out that are non compliant to the usb standard for wire colors, as the mini usb I used was, but the adapter usb cable wasnt. Also cover any exposed wires, superglue is cheap, dollar store item, and so are hot glue guns these days. So
There is no excuse to be sloppy and blow up the USB port

Keep things fun

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Actually I am one of those people that make it a point to keep the cost of my toys down.
I ended up building my own cable from cables i had around.
USB cables consist of 4 wires, 2 wires for data ( -Data,+Data) and 2 wires for power (+5vdc,gnd).
The mini usb plug has 5 pins.
1 - vcc (+5vdc) , Red wire
2 - Data + , White wire
3 - Data - , Green wire
4 - ID
5 - Ground, Black wire

To turn a usb cable into a host cable, connect pin4 to ground.

I used a usb adapter cable to build mine, that way i could switch out the end with the adapter plugs.
I took a mini usb cable i had around, then using a knife I cut the rubber off the plug by running the knife down each side.
This allowed me to open up the plug to expose the pins, and still be able to put the rubber pieces back on after.
I cut the male end off my usb adapter cable I had ( basically its a usb extension cable, so male on one end and female on the other, then adapters plug into the female end)
I then soldered on in place on the male usb end i cut off, the mini usb plug i cut open.
Pins 4 and 5 are close enough to solder together.
I then covered the connections in crazy glue, and glued the rubber back on the mini usb plug. Put a bit of heat shrink tubing over it and looks good

If you decide to build one, make sure you check your pinouts, as im sure there are cables out that are non compliant to the usb standard for wire colors, as the mini usb I used was, but the adapter usb cable wasnt. Also cover any exposed wires, superglue is cheap, dollar store item, and so are hot glue guns these days. So
There is no excuse to be sloppy and blow up the USB port

Keep things fun
Actually if someone is a little afraid of soldering, this would be a good place to try liquid solder or conductive glue. Low volt no high temo.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never tried the stuff, so not sure how easy it is to cross over pins. Multimeters are cheap these days and well worth the money to test things

Has anyone got any other devices working on the USB yet?

To help those that have a fear of soldering. Find an old board from anything, maybe some electronic device you are throwing out. Practice on that for awhile. Have fun seeing how many components you can pull off, and how cleanly. If you have one of those butane tourchs , use the heat gun attachment and try pulling off some of the surface mount chips.
Fun to do and builds confidence to move on to smaller jobs

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just tried the connector recommended by Pandigital and available from Amazon on a Supernova. It works great and have connected several mice and card readers to date. Over in the Planet Forum is a topic started by Mr. Jonathan that addresses the recommended connector and it is better than a messed up cable which might result if you are not really cool with doing the above. The link to buy the connector is: http://www.amazon.com/USB-Female-Mini-Male-Adapter/dp/B0016RNX2I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311187567&sr=8-1

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just tried the connector recommended by Pandigital and available from Amazon on a Supernova. It works great and have connected several mice and card readers to date. Over in the Planet Forum is a topic started by Mr. Jonathan that addresses the recommended connector and it is better than a messed up cable which might result if you are not really cool with doing the above. The link to buy the connector is: http://www.amazon.com/USB-Female-Mini-Male-Adapter/dp/B0016RNX2I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311187567&sr=8-1
I tried those too....no go on my supernova, but I got an otg cable for a skytel, and it worked great...I've connected everything, mice, card readers, external hdd, just about anything you can think of....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to update on devices, turns out that pandigital was nice enough to compile the vcp drivers into the kernel. What does that mean one might be thinking? That means those USB -> serial adapters work

I have gotten my own code talking to a atmel microcontroller, that is also running my own code

Sits back thinking of the fun that could be had.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Using conductive ink is even easier to mod the plug, no soldering, no pulling it apart. Just one very fine droplet near the back of the connector and it's all good! That's how I modify mine. :)

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Has anyone tried one of the adapters from Amazon listed on one of the previous posts above with one of these?
http://www.amazon.co...ef=pd_sim_pc_10

I was thinking of purchasing one of these, since the price looks right and I need a carrying case anyway, but I wanted to be sure they would work with the PDSN8.

Thanks for the help,
Jammer
In theory so long as the adapter is OTG and not just standard to mini it would work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
- USB memory card reader
- USB mouse

Hi

Was there anything special you did to see files on the usb, on mine the usb light flashes for a second but the usb is not recognised in esfilemanager or in the settings under storage, but when you start the tablet it says preparing usb storage. I'm confused. Meredith

1 - 14 of 14 Posts