Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that my SuperNova reports it's model as "PD_Novel" and was wondering if that's why there are so many applications listed as not compatible in Google Play since the Novel had lower specs (and started as an eBook read correct?).

Scott

·
Global Moderator
878 Posts
Both tablets are 800x600 even though the Supernova screen is a different size. Yours has the Samsung S5PV210 Cortex 1.06 GHz CPU and the WPDN had a Samsung S3C64 that achieved 800 MHz. The major difference for the app market would be that the Supernova has 512mb and the WPDN 256mb and whatever version of Android is in the database for "PD_Novel" as your running 2.3

The fact that the Supernova has a capacitive and not resistive screen makes no difference in the app selection.

So, if your tablet is rooted and you are feeling brave, then a couple of lines in the build.prop probably can be edited. This is not without danger of course and would require a fair bit of research on your part.

Or, if you're feeling less brave, install the CNET market and see what apps that market open up for you, they say there are 200,000 apps there now.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought that I had read that the official firmware only ran 2.0 but then again Play may actually check the installed version. I was thinking more about the processor speed and RAM.

I've been getting a number of the apps from the Amazon Appstore that are showing as incompatible on Google Play. I did not know that CNET had an Android Market but will check it out.

Thanks!

Scott

·
Global Moderator
878 Posts
Go to download.cnet.com using your browser, scroll down and click on full site, search for "1 Mobile Market" and install it to your device

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw that looking at Cnet downloads but did not get the impression that it was a Cnet Android market (actually created by Cnet). Some of the information also said that at least in some cases it just provided links back to Play (which won't work if you can't get it from Play directly).

Scott

·
Global Moderator
878 Posts
I think that's true, but with my Elocity (which had no market) the CNET path was an easy way to get access to the market. I've also found that on my other tablets, some apps that don't appear in the Google Market (for my device) actually show up in the "1 Mobile Market" which is handy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Installed 1Mobile Market last night and found it interesting that it showed the apps installed from both Google Play and Amazon AppStore. I was able to get an updated version of Amazon Mobile from there as well. It will be interesting to see how it shows updates being available compared to at least Play.

Scott

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Easiest way to get the 1Mobile Market is just go to 1Mobile.com. From the homepage you can download it directly to your tablet, or even just download the apps through the browser. If you are getting parse errors after downloading through the app, you can get the app from the website direct with no issues.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've only had one other user give me feedback on what their SuperNova shows as the model (in another forum) and they reported it showed PD_Nova. Can anyone else report what their model is shown as and what firmware you are running?

Scott

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You don't think Google Play uses it to determine what apps are available for a tablet? I'm trying to see if it should be PD_Nova for the SuperNova and if that makes a difference in which apps it will let you install (over PD_Novel).

Scott

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just took a look at BuildInfos/Device information using Android System Info and SystemInfo and found the following on my stock Amazon firmware.

Device: pandigitalsprnova1
Fingerprint: Unknown
API: 9

I guess the unknown fingerprint doesn't help does it? I guess they did that since this was never supposed to access Google Play/Android Market?

Scott

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, just downloaded ROM Toolbox and found the fingerprint is really the following:

generic/full_smdkv210/pandigitalsprnova1:2.3.1/GINGERBREAD/eng.jessica.20120102.134325:user/test-keys

Scott

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have 2 PD SN's so I got a lil brave and started modding mine. (no f*cking with the lil lady's! lol) Anyhoo...... Here are some of the lines I've messed with in my build.prop with no "noticeable" problems so far:

# Build by Jim 08/05/2012
ro.build.version.sdk=10 (was 9)

ro.build.user=root (was jessica)

ro.build.tags=release-keys (was test-keys)

ro.product.model=PD_SuperNova (was PD_Novel)
(btw..... this line is what Google Play sees/uses to ID your device via the web page anyhow)

ro.product.brand=sprint (was generic)

ro.build.fingerprint=generic/full_smdkv210/pandigitalsprnova1:2.3.1/GINGERBREAD/eng.jessica.20120102.134325:user/release-keys (was test-keys)

rild.libargs=-d /dev/ttyUSB2 (was -d /dev/ttyS0)

ro.sf.lcd_density=160 (was @ the stock 180)

dalvik.vm.heapsize=128m (was 64m)

Performance enhancements and/or added non-existent lines:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ro.config.play.bootsound=1 <--(trying to get my bootanimation.zip to play sound - no go!)
ro.build.characteristics=tablet
dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit=32m <--(memory performance )
dalvik.vm.heapstartsize=5m <-------( enhancements...........)
debug.performance.tuning=1
net.tcp.buffersize.default=65534
net.tcp.buffersize.edge=65534
net.tcp.buffersize.gprs=65534
net.tcp.buffersize.umts=65534
net.tcp.buffersize.wifi=65534
persist.sys.purgeable_assets=1
ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1
video.accelerate.hw=1
windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=150
wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=420
wifi.interface=wlan0
DEVICE_PROVISIONED=0
ro.com.google.gmsversion-2.3_r2
ro.secure=0

Now..... I do NOT CONDONE any of these alterations, but I can tell you that so far with extensive testing, i have found no issues with my PD R80400 running the latest official PD firmware IR80_S_BN_W_A_A_12152011 and GingerBreak v1.2. I have been successfully ROOTED for months now, and use ADB via the USB cable to push/pull/chmod/etc... files to and from my SuperNova. Your mileage may vary........

PS: ALWAYS do an "adb pull" of your existing/original file(s) for backup before altering!!!! That way if you f*ck up, you can try to "adb push" the originals back onto the device.

jim

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have 2 PD SN's so I got a lil brave and started modding mine. (no f*cking with the lil lady's! lol) Anyhoo...... Here are some of the lines I've messed with in my build.prop with no "noticeable" problems so far:

# Build by Jim 08/05/2012
ro.build.version.sdk=10 (was 9)

ro.build.user=root (was jessica)

ro.build.tags=release-keys (was test-keys)

ro.product.model=PD_SuperNova (was PD_Novel)
(btw..... this line is what Google Play sees/uses to ID your device via the web page anyhow)

ro.product.brand=sprint (was generic)

ro.build.fingerprint=generic/full_smdkv210/pandigitalsprnova1:2.3.1/GINGERBREAD/eng.jessica.20120102.134325:user/release-keys (was test-keys)

rild.libargs=-d /dev/ttyUSB2 (was -d /dev/ttyS0)

ro.sf.lcd_density=160 (was @ the stock 180)

dalvik.vm.heapsize=128m (was 64m)

Performance enhancements and/or added non-existent lines:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ro.config.play.bootsound=1 <--(trying to get my bootanimation.zip to play sound - no go!)
ro.build.characteristics=tablet
dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit=32m <--(memory performance )
dalvik.vm.heapstartsize=5m <-------( enhancements...........)
debug.performance.tuning=1
net.tcp.buffersize.default=65534
net.tcp.buffersize.edge=65534
net.tcp.buffersize.gprs=65534
net.tcp.buffersize.umts=65534
net.tcp.buffersize.wifi=65534
persist.sys.purgeable_assets=1
ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1
video.accelerate.hw=1
windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=150
wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=420
wifi.interface=wlan0
DEVICE_PROVISIONED=0
ro.com.google.gmsversion-2.3_r2
ro.secure=0

Now..... I do NOT CONDONE any of these alterations, but I can tell you that so far with extensive testing, i have found no issues with my PD R80400 running the latest official PD firmware IR80_S_BN_W_A_A_12152011 and GingerBreak v1.2. I have been successfully ROOTED for months now, and use ADB via the USB cable to push/pull/chmod/etc... files to and from my SuperNova. Your mileage may vary........

PS: ALWAYS do an "adb pull" of your existing/original file(s) for backup before altering!!!! That way if you f*ck up, you can try to "adb push" the originals back onto the device.

jim
I tried some of these updates to the build.prop, and I managed to get SOME more apps from Google Play, but MANY are still showing as 'incompatible'. I even modified these lines to be this way:
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.release=2.3.4
ro.build.user=root
ro.build.tags=release-keys
ro.product.model=Samsung_Nexus_S
ro.product.btname=Samsung Nexus S
ro.product.brand=samsung
ro.product.device=samsungnexus1
ro.product.manufacturer=Samsung

ro.build.description=full_smdkv210-user 2.3.4 GINGERBREAD eng.jessica.20120102.134325 release-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=generic/full_smdkv210/samsungnexus1:2.3.4/GINGERBREAD/eng.jessica.20120102.134325:user/release-keys
ro.product.device_adobe =Samsung Nexus S
ro.product.source_ID = DL00000025
ro.product.platform = IAC_SamsungNexusS

Was wondering if anyone has gotten ALL the apps to work on Google Play yet? If so, I would LOVE to know how. There are a LOT of apps I would like to get, but can't right now.

Jammer

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I tried some of these updates to the build.prop, and I managed to get SOME more apps from Google Play, but MANY are still showing as 'incompatible'. I even modified these lines to be this way:
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.release=2.3.4
ro.build.user=root
ro.build.tags=release-keys
ro.product.model=Samsung_Nexus_S
ro.product.btname=Samsung Nexus S
ro.product.brand=samsung
ro.product.device=samsungnexus1
ro.product.manufacturer=Samsung

ro.build.description=full_smdkv210-user 2.3.4 GINGERBREAD eng.jessica.20120102.134325 release-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=generic/full_smdkv210/samsungnexus1:2.3.4/GINGERBREAD/eng.jessica.20120102.134325:user/release-keys
ro.product.device_adobe =Samsung Nexus S
ro.product.source_ID = DL00000025
ro.product.platform = IAC_SamsungNexusS

Was wondering if anyone has gotten ALL the apps to work on Google Play yet? If so, I would LOVE to know how. There are a LOT of apps I would like to get, but can't right now.

Jammer
There is not a tablet out there that gets all apps from Play, the system just doesn;t work that way. You would have to have tons of build props to switch through and with some apps unless the tablet has the same hardware as the tablet you are spoofing, they won't work anyway.

·
Registered
104 Posts
There is not a tablet out there that gets all apps from Play, the system just doesn;t work that way. You would have to have tons of build props to switch through and with some apps unless the tablet has the same hardware as the tablet you are spoofing, they won't work anyway.
Is that just a Google thing, or is that an app design thing?

It doesn't make sense to me why ANY company would make their app so it would ONLY be able to be run on a certain few tablets or phones. That would eliminate a LOT of other users from being able to reach them, thus removing the possibility of receiving revenue from them. Who would want to do that? Yet, it seems that many of these apps are EXACTLY like that. How dumb is that, IMHO?!

Jammer

1 - 20 of 29 Posts