Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running SystemPanel to see what is active & what is inactive. What does "Inactive" mean? Does it mean that it has recently been active & is likely to go active again? Inactive is also called Cached, so I assume the system wants it available for quick access. I have not actively launched the apps that keep popping up as inactive, so that makes me wonder if I need to clear cache, or if this will help with the sleep issue. I don't have any of these apps set to do anything automatically, like sync or update, so I don't know why they keep showing up in inactive. Apps that keeps coming back as cached:Adobe eBooks *Alarm Clock *AndAppStorePDAlarm *World Newspapers * very frequent appearance & I never use them!Can anyone recommend an app killer or memory recovery app that will clear cache or free memory & maybe keep these app from coming back? Thanks,kev

· Registered
549 Posts
having similar sleep issues, currently I am thinking GE is the culprit, but one thing I have done is set a rule in setCPU to turn CPU max and min way down when the screen is turned off. Currently I do not use this to listen to music so it's not a problem. This seems to help the battery life though does not stop the screen from coming on from time to time.

· Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote name='gottahavit;37464]having similar sleep issues' date=' currently I am thinking GE is the culprit, but one thing I have done is set a rule in setCPU to turn CPU max and min way down when the screen is turned off. Currently I do not use this to listen to music so it's not a problem. This seems to help the battery life though does not stop the screen from coming on from time to time.[/QUOTE'] I do not have GE installed. I have only installed LauncherPro, Vol reassign & a bunch of apps. Oh yeah, a couple of times PandaHome showed up as active. What's that all about? I am running SmartBar too with active notification bar.Cheers,kevBTW Cosmos has been chasing this with a vengeance, but I haven't heard from in a bit, I hope he didn't go & do something foolish!!!!! :eek:

· Registered
179 Posts
With respect to killing apps and keeping them dead (until a complete reboot) I use Smart Bar's Task Manager to kill all the apps I don't want hanging around. Coupled with this, I found a pretty simple thing that seems to work for me re: the sleep mode issues - YMMV. I just to go into Settings , Date & time, then deselect the Automatic option and manually set the date, time zone, and time. Prior to doing these two things before putting the PDN to sleep, I pretty regularly experienced the PDN waking up to the dim screen state. Not now. I tried to figure out why this works, and one theory I came up with was that when Date and Time was set to Automatic, where the explanation text reads Use network-provided values, the PDN must be awakened by the OS periodically or at some pre-set time (like GMT-0:00?) to get updated date and time info via a timeserver somewhere on the Internet (I couldn't find an option to specify this, BTW). If correct, this necessitates waking up the PDN to at least a minimal power state and turning on wireless, of course, and I'm guessing the PDN developers neglected to shut things back down afterwords.I don't have GE and I'm sure lots of the other things others with problems do, but I do have lots of the other common hacks and apks (Dalvik VM upgrade with explicit JIT, volume button, Smart Bar, Panda Home, a few media and alternate reader apps, etc.). So, as I said, YMMV, but it seems to keep my PDN in a deep sleep until I wake it up manually if I follow the above, and I was able to get it to revert to the 'bad' behavior by turning Automatic back on.

· Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The date & time was one of the first things I tried. Deselecting the auto setting that is. Mine has experienced the waking issue in spite of this & I have never had GE installed either. I even looked at any alarm clock apps to see if they had such a setting, but they don't. Just sayin'.Cheers,kev

· Registered
179 Posts
"It is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma: but perhaps there is a key." - Winston ChurchillAnd I'll bet the key is some set of options those of us who are getting a deep night's sleep (sorry - couldn't resist) have set in Android and the apps we have installed that differs from those that you and others who are having periodic insomnia syndrome (PIS?) have set differently. Or, it could be some rogue app or app setting . It'd be great to somehow get a definitive answer to this conundrum, but I doubt with all the possible permutations and combinations it's gonna ever be determined. Sorry my approach doesn't work for you, bugeyed. Keep up the good fight.

· Registered
79 Posts
I had been having sleep success with stopping all 'Net-related apps, but that no longer seems to be the case, plugged in or not. Off or slept, eventually it's dim but lit/on. Magically annoying. Also, if I leave the unit unplugged from power for more than a day, even off, it's dead the next time I want to use it. I was frustrated this past weekend when I wanted to use it, only to find the thing had been on in the case during a 6.5-hour drive and the battery nearly dead. I think I only slept it instead of turning it all the way off, but still. I had a theory that perhaps the accelerometer was somehow involved, as it's usually been during transport that I have issues... but I've not had any time to look into it (and it seems kind of silly, really...but maybe not?).Also been experiencing a lot of "won't turn (right back) on" issues lately, which a paperclip to the reset button seems to fix. I'm now carrying a paperclip with me when I carry the PD around, just in case... eg. I have it on, reading usually, sleep it, walk back from the hotel lobby to my room, say, and it won't turn back on unless I hit the reset button. Also quite annoying. I'd really love to see some sort of fix for true sleep/staying off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.