Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it varies by processor a bit. Can we get a walkthrough on how to for Rockchip root, and rom?
Or a reliable link?

Preferably using Ubuntu/Linux native, not Windows VM, but if you have instructions using VM, can you note where it's any different?
IE: program used, commands in termanal, what you do in PC, what you do in tablet.

For some reason even though I have been in linux for a few years now I am stumped, or just nervous.

·
Registered
200 Posts
You root the device by flashing a rooted ROM

Decribed here:
http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?topic=14062.0

Rooted ROMs:
http://www.mediafire.com/?69hk3fz9c7fkemc

You need this tool
http://www.mediafire.com/?4rmtw4t2pzbhil2

1. Start RKAndroidBatchUpgrade from rktools folder
2. Power off your tablet
3. Press & hold back/esc key
4. While holding, connect PC and tablet with USB cable (if tablet boot normally, try again)
(if it's first time, install driver)
5. Tablet should be recognized as "RK281X Device" in Windows, and orange mark in Device Upgrade Area will turn green in RKAndroidBatchUpgrade window
6. Click "..." right side of "[v]Image [ ]" in Setting in RKAndroidBatchUpgrade
7. After you select update.img from PC, then Boot:, Version:, and Date will fill in on their own.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a bunch,
Even if this info has been collected before, I really appreciate it.
I now have some reading to do

·
Registered
10 Posts
I should toss this in on this thread for those who need root occasionally but aren't willing to start some serious modding (at this time), you should probably take a look at z4root. You can google up as many articles as you wish, but basically you download the z4root.apk, load it and you simply click the app when you have a need for root permissions. As far as I can tell, it can temp root any tablet, which is all you need to get rid of bloatware or make system changes that normally wouldn't be possible.

I used it to make the changes needed to allow my tablet to use my phones peer AP (following the excellent instructions from this forum). For the small stuff, this is the easy way to achieve it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If you've got a brand new device, and want to dump your own firmware, use this thread

Steps:

1. Find z4root.apk on the internet
2. Install z4root.apk and use it to get temp-root (perm root doesn't work on our devices, don't bother )
3. Download the Android SDK and install
4. Open a Command Window (or terminal window in linux) and cd to the directory './android-sdk-windows/platform-tools'
5. See above thread to download and install rkdump_android.zip
6. Make sure the SDcard is not mounted to your PC
7. Using above thread, after you've typed adb shell, give the command su to become root.
8. Using above thread, use this command to dump update.img which contains the complete firmware
--> /data/rkdump /dev/block/mtdblock5 /sdcard/update.img
9. Using above thread, use this command to dump system.img, because the on in update.img is encrypted.
--> /data/rkdump /dev/block/mtdblock4 /sdcard/system.img
10. Use AFPTool.exe to unpack update.img (See link )
11. Replace system.img in .xxxImage with the one from your sdcard.
12. Run NewTuxFlash.exe and open the system.img (See link )
13. Find and add SuperUser.apk to /system/app , and change user/group to 0/0
14. Find and add su and busybox to /system/bin , and change user/group to 0/0
15. Save system.img
16. Use rkcrc.exe to create new checksum for system.img (See link )
17. cd to root dir, and use AFPTool.exe to create new update.img
18. Now you can flash this update.img with RKAndroidBatchUpgrade.exe (yes, windows only) ( link[/ulr]
19. For flash instructions see this post : [url=http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?topic=14062.msg112104#msg112104]link

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote author=DaveD link=topic=16196.msg133710#msg133710 date=1297137681]
I should toss this in on this thread for those who need root occasionally but aren't willing to start some serious modding (at this time), you should probably take a look at z4root. You can google up as many articles as you wish, but basically you download the z4root.apk, load it and you simply click the app when you have a need for root permissions. As far as I can tell, it can temp root any tablet, which is all you need to get rid of bloatware or make system changes that normally wouldn't be possible.

I used it to make the changes needed to allow my tablet to use my phones peer AP (following the excellent instructions from this forum). For the small stuff, this is the easy way to achieve it.
[/quote]

Unfortunately this made a mess of my unit and now is stuck in a repeating loop of "android.process.acore" has stopped unexpectedly.
Evan after a hard reset.

Also, for flashing - does it matter if I use the small or big USB connector? i only have small ones around.

·
Registered
6 Posts
@Discustopia, I would think that the Mini-B USB connector would be the one you would use for the flashing process, as that one is the one that is used to connect the device to the computer.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have new unit with look like this,

I want to modify the ROM (make root), i have difficulty to get rkdump utility (site is down ?? ), perhaps someone can send me to [email protected] ??
Thanks
Hi,

i think the site is hosted in japan!? Its fun_ site, hope he is alright!!!! I found this, you can download it from the forum.

Link

·
Registered
180 Posts
I am stuck at dumping the update.img
looks like there is no mtdblock5 on my unit

Code:
<br />
# mount<br />
mount<br />
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0<br />
/dev/root / cramfs ro 0 0<br />
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,mode=755 0 0<br />
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=600 0 0<br />
proc /proc proc rw 0 0<br />
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0<br />
tmpfs /sqlite_stmt_journals tmpfs rw,size=4096k 0 0<br />
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0<br />
/dev/block/mtdblock4 /system cramfs ro 0 0<br />
/dev/block/mtdblock7 /data ext3 rw,nosuid,nodev,errors=continue,data=ordered 0 0<br />
/dev/block/mtdblock6 /cache ext3 rw,nosuid,nodev,errors=continue,data=ordered 0 0<br />
/dev/block/mtdblock9 /data/data ext3 rw,nosuid,nodev,errors=continue,data=ordered 0 0<br />
/dev/block/mtdblock4 /sqlite_stmt_journals/sys_bin_orig cramfs ro 0 0<br />
tmpfs /system/bin tmpfs rw,size=4096k 0 0<br />
/dev/block//vold/31:8 /flash vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0111,dmask=0000,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8<br />
 0 0<br />
/dev/block//vold/179:1 /sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0111,dmask=0000,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,ut<br />
f8 0 0<br />
#
Any suggestion ? right now i am asking the current firmware from my supplier

·
Registered
278 Posts
I am stuck at dumping the update.img
looks like there is no mtdblock5 on my unit

Code:
<br />
# mount<br />
mount<br />
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0<br />
/dev/root / cramfs ro 0 0<br />
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,mode=755 0 0<br />
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=600 0 0<br />
proc /proc proc rw 0 0<br />
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0<br />
tmpfs /sqlite_stmt_journals tmpfs rw,size=4096k 0 0<br />
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0<br />
/dev/block/mtdblock4 /system cramfs ro 0 0<br />
/dev/block/mtdblock7 /data ext3 rw,nosuid,nodev,errors=continue,data=ordered 0 0<br />
/dev/block/mtdblock6 /cache ext3 rw,nosuid,nodev,errors=continue,data=ordered 0 0<br />
/dev/block/mtdblock9 /data/data ext3 rw,nosuid,nodev,errors=continue,data=ordered 0 0<br />
/dev/block/mtdblock4 /sqlite_stmt_journals/sys_bin_orig cramfs ro 0 0<br />
tmpfs /system/bin tmpfs rw,size=4096k 0 0<br />
/dev/block//vold/31:8 /flash vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0111,dmask=0000,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8<br />
 0 0<br />
/dev/block//vold/179:1 /sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0111,dmask=0000,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,ut<br />
f8 0 0<br />
#
Any suggestion ? right now i am asking the current firmware from my supplier
It won't be mounted, so it doesn't show up there.

Do a cat /proc/mtd

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you've got a brand new device, and want to dump your own firmware, use this thread

Steps:

1. Find z4root.apk on the internet
2. Install z4root.apk and use it to get temp-root (perm root doesn't work on our devices, don't bother )
3. Download the Android SDK and install
4. Open a Command Window (or terminal window in linux) and cd to the directory './android-sdk-windows/platform-tools'
5. See above thread to download and install rkdump_android.zip
6. Make sure the SDcard is not mounted to your PC
7. Using above thread, after you've typed adb shell, give the command su to become root.
8. Using above thread, use this command to dump update.img which contains the complete firmware
--> /data/rkdump /dev/block/mtdblock5 /sdcard/update.img
9. Using above thread, use this command to dump system.img, because the on in update.img is encrypted.
--> /data/rkdump /dev/block/mtdblock4 /sdcard/system.img
10. Use AFPTool.exe to unpack update.img (See link )
11. Replace system.img in .xxxImage with the one from your sdcard.
12. Run NewTuxFlash.exe and open the system.img (See link )
13. Find and add SuperUser.apk to /system/app , and change user/group to 0/0
14. Find and add su and busybox to /system/bin , and change user/group to 0/0
15. Save system.img
16. Use rkcrc.exe to create new checksum for system.img (See link )
17. cd to root dir, and use AFPTool.exe to create new update.img
18. Now you can flash this update.img with RKAndroidBatchUpgrade.exe (yes, windows only) ( link[/ulr]
19. For flash instructions see this post : [url=http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?topic=14062.msg112104#msg112104]link
Everything fine... you just skip the important chmod 770 over /data/rkdump before step 8

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can I do this to my M98A Android 2.1 Tablet PC - 7.0" Track Ball aPad 2gb

It has a white screen and when i plugg it to my pc it shows 2,5gb available I was trying to do a factory reset and was holding down all buttons and power on and now I only have a white screen but the track ball is either green or red.

Maybe I dumped the operating system out?

Any help appriciated

Regards

Throllur

·
Registered
1 Posts
since i can't make a new thread

I like to ask you guys using this thread

I have

Android Tablet CL-R7 Smart Pad
It has RK2818 motherboard based.

I hardly find it rom that suitable for this device. It has GSM slot for phone function I guess.

Anyone care to try to answer?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,

I just need play store functionality on my pov mobii 7" tablet.
Does anyone know how to do this?
Do I need a custom rom or is there an easier way?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts