Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since this is a great place to start talking some physical mods I'll offer up my top two as a conversation starter:(1) What would be needed to add a real back and menu button to the PDN. Are there signal pinouts on the PDN mainboard for these. I would love to have my hardware volume buttons back.(2) I saw an interesting hack on an EEEpc where a guy spliced into his usb port to add a usb hub and then strung a bunch of other usb devices in line. If there was a USB hub driver included in the software could we use such a hack as a bridge to others...camera/mic/gps/bluetooth...

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
I think it best to follow the K.I.S.S method ... Keep It Simple Stupid.
With that in mind, a one-shot, noob-friendly, platform independent, coding free, terminal command free method for the individual user to modify his/her PDN at will. Something like the flash upgrade with the Google Experience and Button Hack all-in-one, but adding a file manager that can install apk's from the SD without necessarily having Market Access (and minus stuff you can get later like the Google Calendar, etc.)OR, in the alternative, something just that noobish, but that let's you into the Market without firing up an emulator.

AND a physical keyboard you can plug in (as long as we're wishing and willing to make physical mods)

AND a pony!

UPDATE: Pretty much got all the software mods I asked for (because once upon a time I too thought this was a general hacking subforum based on the original title, which I got changed and broke every link to this subforum in the wiki and probably elsewhere -- doh!)

Got used to the softkeys, like Thumbkeys best.

Still waiting on my Goddamn Pony ... hrrrmmph.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think a priority should be enabling USB host. Having a dock with a keyboard would allow us to turn our PDNs into mini workstations then pick them up and have the full tablet experience at a whim. I've done that mod to the eee, but I would imagine we would need to enable USB host to do anything like that in the first place.Also, I'd love to see a mod to beef up the battery

·
Registered
171 Posts
Mod #1:Find a Wireless b/g/n card with built-in Bluetooth that works with the PDN. This would allow us to hang BT keyboards, GPS's, mice, and do BT tethering. This easily done mod alone would add TONS of functionality to the PDN. Heck, it would give us more buttons than we know what to do with!Mod #2:Rig up the second antenna wire on the WiFi card for better reception.

·
Registered
14 Posts
[quote name='Wineaux;34044][U]Mod #1:[/U]Find a Wireless b/g/n card with built-in Bluetooth that works with the PDN. This would allow us to hang BT keyboards' date=' GPS's, mice, and do BT tethering. This easily done mod alone would add TONS of functionality to the PDN. Heck, it would give us more buttons than we know what to do with![/QUOTE'] That would be pretty great, someone would just need to get the drivers going. I found one, although it looks like it's only b/g.Link

·
Registered
402 Posts
Well as long as we're just dreaming here I'd love for a way to get something like these integrated with my Novel...Obviously this would drive up costs quite a bit, makes so much sense for use on a tablet though, doesn't it?--bornagainpenguin

·
Registered
71 Posts
Some of the other android based tables have an on screen button bar that is partially transparent, that might be a good place to start. I wonder if that is an apk that could be used on the PDN. Also someone with a little java under their belt could probably create an app.

·
Registered
265 Posts
USB charging ain't gonna happen, need that 12v to charge the 7.4v pack... However, USB host is something I could see working in the future. The hardware as I can see so far supports it, and other devices have had it hacked in so that is a good sign for us.First thing on my list would be to get a wireless card in there that supports bluetooth!!! Hardest part about this is that we need a mini pcie card that interfaces over the USB pins, NOT the PCIe pins. It would probably be easiest to stick with RALink's chipset as well, the drivers for the wifi side might still work. That being said, I did find a card that has bluetooth added to it that looks like a perfect fit: Wireless-GN Wi-Fi + Bluetooth Half Mini Card - WPER-101GN(BT), Ralink RT3090BC4(Crap, just realized on the datasheet they show the wireless uses PCIe and the bluetooth uses the USB) Looks like it might be time to start searching on that motherboard for another usb header to hook a bluetooth module to!

·
Registered
338 Posts
galcv2;35100]USB host would be very nice! adding a camera or a mic would be great!![/QUOTE]Sure said:
1. How much overclocking if any would be needed to view 720p video clips without stuttering?2. How much hacking does it take to replace the current battery with 3x, 4x times better capacity?3. Is adding a mic (to use with Skype, Google Voice, whatever) doable?4. Is there a possibility (header(s) to add GPS/3G/GPRS radios, SIM slot, a cheap ($39 at Real) 1.5 Mpix Web-camera?5. I need the best Android 2.x drawing/painting app for resistive screen, preferrably with finer screen calibration utility that the stock crapshot, don't hold it till Android 3.0 release, guys.6. I need a multilingual (CJKV characters included) handwriting recognition utility, I know they are out there somewhere.7. Can the present RAM of 256 MB be upgraded to 1-2 GB, to improve, if anything, a haptic experience?8. What is the best browser which understands stylus gestures? this poor thing virtually lacks any keys except silly ringer volume toggle. (hope it's Opera, or Chrome with plugins)9. Could hacking it into a complete Linux (Ubuntu Canonical) slate bring some of the above features more easily? Chrome OS, anyone?
Since then, there was that famous autopsy of a similar sick puppy. I would be adding:10. A larger (maybe also thicker) copper heat spreader(s), to overclock the poor thingie to 1 GHz and beyond.11. G-Sensor is NOT multi-axis Accelerometer. But it might be replaced, so the gamers can rejoice.12. 802.11n turned ON (or mPCIe replaced) would be very very nice for all -- including gamers

·
Registered
338 Posts
Ow chucks! Completely forgot about a pony. Sorry for that. Won't happen again, I swear. My corrected list should read like "Item #13. A circus pony walking circles in harness charging my PDN".Seriously enough, nobody pushed the chip beyond 800 MHz in other "mobiles"? If I remember right, specs say something like "recommended max clock rate 800 MHz". No overclocking was ever recommended by any chip maker in its official specs.Alright, take the pony and 720p back for the Gingerbread (3.0?) hack.BTW, thank you Mr Clockworx, for all the awesome feats I see here every day

·
Registered
548 Posts
[quote name='clockworx;36590]also' date=' a pony.(You're never gonna get 720p, and probably wouldn't be able to overclock past 800 either)[/QUOTE'] I'm curious do we know that the graphics acceleration on this(hardware wise) is that much worse than the gentouch? and that it's not just a need for drivers?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.