Android Tablets Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Advanced Shoe Gum Member
428 Posts
I thought it wise to keep a public log of my correspondences between Pandigital and Busybox.
Not much else to say but let the logging begin.

---INITIAL QUERY---

Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2011 3:57 PM
To: pandigitalcs
Subject: Pan Support: Source Code Needed. 167028

============================================================================
JULY 4th
============================================================================

Product:
Pandigital Novel (White)

Serial:
PRD07T10WWH7

Subject:
Source Code Needed.

Comments:
Hello. I am requesting you release the Source code for this product. As of now no source has been provided. This is in violation of the GNU Open Source License. Please respond As soon as possible to prevent further action being taken.

---PANDIGITAL RESPONSE---

pandigitalcs to me

Jul 4

Thanks for reaching out to us. Pandigital is a hardware manufacturer. If you are interested in source code for the software utilized to run our device(s) you would need to contact the software manufacturer.

Have a nice day.
Pandigital Customer Support

---MY RESPONSE---

Me to pandigitalcs

Jul 4

No, this is not correct. You as the hardware mfg need to provide source code as you are the mfg of the hardware aspect (meaning you provide drivers for the hardware aspects of the Kernel). You have software techs that have coded the linux Kernel to be compatible with YOUR hardware. If you outsource this operation YOU NEED TO PROVIDE that information to the public so the issue can be properly addressed.
We will be contacting busybox about this issue as well as gpl-violations.org. If there is no compliance, your OS WILL be pulled from your products in a matter of time, and you will be sued.

There is also outstanding source code that needs to be released for the PANDIGITAL PLANET. This Tablet will also be added to the list of GPL violators.

-regards
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
-openZIO Development

---PANDIGITAL RESPONSE---

pandigitalcs to me

Jul 13
Hello xxxxxxxx,

Thank you for contacting Pandigital Customer Support regarding source codes. Unfortunately we do not have the information you are requesting available. However we will be releasing it in the future. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Sincerely,

Kirsten

Customer Support

---MY RESPONSE---

Me to pandigitalcs

Jul 14

This is also an unacceptable response. This is also a canned response, as many other of my colleagues have got the same exact response from your corporation.
There are details that are missing. Many many details.
Who is the software team responsible for programming YOUR kernel source code?
When in the "future" will this "information" be release -- exact dates..
Why has it not yet been released (WPDN/BPDN=1+ year(s) and no source released, PLANET=2 months and counting)??

Pandigital has been dancing around the WPDN/BPDN source code for over a year now with no source to show. Are we to expect the same dance with the "Planet"?

I have begun correspondences with busybox; Informing them of your non-compliance -- expect to hear more from them.
Also, because of this vagueness, and refusal to comply with THE LAW, You have forced us (the Pandigital user community) to begin correspondences with JBB Rechtsanwälte; A German based Lawfirm that specializes with violations of the GNU/GPL. I have been in contact with them, and am sharing all relevant information. If this refusal persists, expect a class action lawsuit to form, quite quickly.
Keep in mind, this is not a threat, this is the LAW, and corporations are NOT EXEMPT from the Law..

So, again, What is needed, is the release of the Kernel Source Code, or a solid release date that we can expect Source. Failure to comply will result in legal action.

-regards.

TBC...

·
Advanced Shoe Gum Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
...reserved for busybox correspondences.

·
Advanced Shoe Gum Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good to know. Thanks.
Chances are that its a generic response. I'll call them on that sh**. heh

·
Advanced Shoe Gum Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Updated response [07/14].
See Post #1

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know we have been looking for source code for all of Pandigital Products for the better part of a year now, has anyone sent in the request via. post office? Perhaps a written/typed letter sent certified mail would emphasize the seriousness of the request. Maybe there is a member affiliated with legal services that can assist.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Get that code doggone it! I want cwm recovery...also, get someone to e-mail Pandigital who is( or sounds like) a lawyer, that'll get their attention!

Edit: stupid apple spell check/auto correct

·
Advanced Shoe Gum Member
428 Posts
No

To clarify:
This is closed. PD is going to continue to violate the GPL, and I dont have the time nor want to spend the effort to continually hassle these people for something they will not release willingly unless lawyers get involved. (Feel free to continue hassling them, but without legal representation, they will not take you seriously.)

Thread closed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.