Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Intro: How to speed up Eken M003 Background: Desktop/Laptop swap file usage (paging) causes system to run slower. PC RAM fast (6400MB/s) vs PC Hard drives slow (157MB/s). My theory: SWAP to microSD good! More SWAP to microSD, MORE BETTER!Thanks to ECOTOX and his custom m003_ecotox_v1-3-1-you-waited-now-its-here-updated-8-5-2010-a.html]ROM; I finally got my Eken M003 swap working. I'm using SWAPPER app to change settings. I'm sure there are a few tutorials out there. I use the terminal to check "free" my swap numbers. First I opened browsers and returned to my Home screen++ 3 times. Average time to open home page, values rounded.Xscope G ~ 10 secondsOpera 5 ~ 18 secondsDolphin 3 ~ 25 secondSkyfire ~ 37 seconds :mad:Turned on SWAPPER with settings of 100 for swappiness and 192MB for sizeXscope G ~ 7 seconds :eek:Opera 5 ~ 13 secondsDolphin 3 ~ 15 secondSkyfire ~ 19 secondsAlmost 60% speed increase in just opening browser and BEST PART OF ALL.Average time to Return to Home Screen ~ 31 seconds.SWAP ON=Avg time Rtrn to Home Screen ~ 1 second. :eek:Next I'll try to get results for SWAPPINESS values, so far I've crashed/locked up system twice using value of 10. I'll post video, pics and data values on my blog Here is pic showing lots of open processeshttp://tabletuser.blogspot.com/Anyone know how to get Swapper to stay turned on at start up? I have it turned on but doesn't stick?How can I compare internal NAND vs microSD using hdparm command?

·
Registered
119 Posts
@tron33: Swapper 2 says that it will run at startup. There's a check box in settings. So far it doesn't, but I'm not using a rooted ROM, just the published root work-around. I'm a little bit skiddish about jumping over to Ecotox, as I've been working relatively trouble-free (albeit slowly) in 1.7.4 for a while. If I start feeling strongly about the speed kick, I might jump. We'll seeEDIT: Actually, it does work on restart. Just had some settings wrong before.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Caffeine ROM is rooted and has MinFreeManager installed and preset. Seems to be doing a good job of managing free memory. I have to turn swap on manually. Only bug is when I plug in my wireless usb mouse my Eken freezes and reboots. I'll have to try MinFreeManager with and without swap turned on and see if swap + MinFreeManager is more better than running just one of those apps. Waiting to test a new ROM, anyone got one coming?

·
Registered
832 Posts
ECO says he's working on a new rom for m001 and m003 right now. I'm pretty certain he's messing with the new 1.9 fw.

·
Registered
63 Posts
What about a software approach? I ve been trying do streamline Android, but gapps starts to crash and the system itself seems to be a little heavy.I'd like to make it more resource friendly but I don't know how to hack the system. Some desktop like ratpoison, xmonad, dwm, would be terrific. I use my m003 basically for browsing, reading pdf/cbz, eventually play some video and music, if it was possibly to make a simple bar for those apps and settings it could improve performance a lot (at least in theory).Think of computer 10 years ago, this tablets has similar specs, some day this specs was the best we could get. Getting a desktop like we have that time would make those little tablets have a much better performance. Combined with hardware hacks, well boy, it seems to be a really good game!I'm just giving an idea. I'm just a bad python programmer, but I'm a good beta tester, if somebody would like to try it...

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
That is part of a Custom ROM. I'm just begining to learn what all is involved. But you can remove unneeded services, apps replace launcher and the like all on one package and a single install.See the wiki on flashing ROM for an example. Also explore the firmware subtopic here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.