Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
FOUR ITEMS:1. I FINALLY got an email with a little bit of info updates. Here is the link.Cruz Now Available for Pre-Order http://www.cruzreader.com/reader.php2. According to patent applications, etc. Apple is set to have a new, smaller iPad our by Christmas. Will have a 7" screen, possibly smaller (No longer made by Samsung.. they can't keep enough screens for their own devices)3. Google Chrome Tablet due out on "Black Friday", probably available through Verizon.4. Like Luke Skywalker selling his speeder in anticipation of the coming war, I returned my PDN yesterday to be ready for the "spate of slates" due to hit late this year, early next year. (got tired of poor WiFi... hopefully the competition has heard all the great ideas on this forum.THANKS TO EVERYONE who contributes... this is a GREAT forum and was very informative and helpful!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well just remember the Cruz tablet will be well over 2 times the price of the PDN. The 7" Apple iPad will be even higher priced, and provide less functionality and flexibility, and lock you into everything Apple. Based on where they came in with the Nexus as far as pricing goes, I would expect the Google Tablet to be as expensive as an iPad. I do plan to buy the Cruz Tablet (the $299 one), but I will keep the PDN, it has been worth every penny, and even the few hassles.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Of course there is always something better just over the horizon. Faster CPU, more RAM, faster graphics, 3D, washes the dishes, sex and picks lottery winners........... The PDN isn't the latest and greatest, but it is something to tinker with and live of the back of the work of the genius guys here.For me it's not about sitting twiddling my thumbs and waiting for the next big thing. I play with the PDN, actually use it and tweak it as the good guys push the envelope. It's not really a 120 bucks I'm gonna miss so I'm hanging on to it.I really want to keep it to see just how it handles 2.1 or even 2.2. Will it ever be as responsive as an iPad? Absolutely not, but it is a fun toy and lets me be part of a pretty cool community.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yup, there will always be new things on the horizon. Seems like just yesterday the iPad first came out and, hey look, new iPad right around the corner. Can't keep chasing future technology or no one would ever buy anything. You just have to figure what price you want to pay and for what features/performance and go from there (or wait from there, depending on your criteria).

·
Registered
15 Posts
davidr;41336 said:
.. and this was a helpful post because..?? (given that it is devoted to the PDN)Are you trying to tell us we have made a foolish decision?
David, NOT at all... I agonized over whether to keep mine but with limited resources had to make a choice. I think the PDN is a great little machine, but the poor WiFi was the dealbreaker for me. And as I said, I'm grateful for all the great posts and ideas and exchange of info. I've learned a great deal of valuable info (and may find myself getting a PDN again.. who knows? LOL)The main purpose of the post was to share some news with all the other great folks on this Forum... was in no way intended to disparage anyone or anything. No disrepect intended in any direction.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Still vaporware until they are on the shelves, just sayin'.I got the same email about the Cruz Reader yesterday, and they updated their site this week. My concerns, right now:- Price. I had assumed that $199 for the Reader was MSRP and we'd see a lot lower in retail stores, but nothing so far. The Border's pre-order lists it as $199. and available 9/30.- Availability. See above. August has turned to September which is now late September (if you buy local).- Android 2.0, for the Reader version. Very disappointed, if this is in fact correct.- No details on CPU specs, yet. In particular, will this be another S3C6410? Cortex? Need to know the CPU to get an idea on the future expandability.I'm not as excited about this device as I was, last month. Except for the (possible) addition of a mic jack and WMA support, I see no reason yet why this would replace my PDN in the short-term. I do believe that there will be a new tablet in my future in the next 4-6 months, but I'm not sure the Cruz Reader is going to be it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
[quote name='DroidNewbie;41358]David' date=' NOT at all... I agonized over whether to keep mine but with limited resources had to make a choice. I think the PDN is a great little machine, but the poor WiFi was the dealbreaker for me. And as I said, I'm grateful for all the great posts and ideas and exchange of info. I've learned a great deal of valuable info (and may find myself getting a PDN again.. who knows? LOL)The main purpose of the post was to share some news with all the other great folks on this Forum... was in no way intended to disparage anyone or anything. No disrepect intended in any direction.[/QUOTE']Excellent, most-diplomatic response! I hereby declare that you have wisely avoided the fate of being labeled a TROLL!!!! ;)-Matt

·
Registered
59 Posts
[quote name='roebeet;41371]Still vaporware until they are on the shelves' date=' just sayin'.I got the same email about the Cruz Reader yesterday, and they updated their site this week. My concerns, right [URL=now:-]now:-[/URL] Price. I had assumed that $199 for the Reader was MSRP and we'd see a lot lower in retail stores, but nothing so far. The Border's pre-order lists it as $199. and available 9/30.- Availability. See above. August has turned to September which is now late September (if you buy local).- Android 2.0, for the Reader version. Very disappointed, if this is in fact correct.- No details on CPU specs, yet. In particular, will this be another S3C6410? Cortex? Need to know the CPU to get an idea on the future expandability.I'm not as excited about this device as I was, last month. Except for the (possible) addition of a mic jack and WMA support, I see no reason yet why this would replace my PDN in the short-term. I do believe that there will be a new tablet in my future in the next 4-6 months, but I'm not sure the Cruz Reader is going to be it.[/QUOTE'] I think it is safe to say the Reader won't necessarily by "the" device, but the Cruz Tablet on the other hand will be. The improved video support alone will just the price. and the Cruz Tablet will be running 2.1.I seem to remember reports not too long ago that the cruz tablet would have a snapdragon cpu, but I can't find it now. I would assume the reader will end up having a less powerful cpu.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.