Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do some Eken cables seem flakey? Just figured it out after building a host USB cable to power a keyboard, mouse, and 80 gig hard drive through a 4 port powered USB hub. Thought I'd make it a separate topic so people can find out how to solve it.The reason they seem flakey is because the Eken plastic case has a beveled bottom edge, and the 30 pin connector (iPod/iPhone type) is square. There's an interference to full seating when the cable connector is plugged in so it's not quite all the way home.To fix it, file away a little on the upper part of the connector's plastic housing -- maybe using an emery board. That's where the interference is.Don't try to get away with jamming the connector into the tablet's socket or flexing it to fit -- you may crack your Eken's PC board that way. Just relieve the plug's plastic a little for a good fit.I noticed this problem when I had no USB after building my cable and reassembling the outer connector shell. In tests before with the shell off, everything worked well. After reassembly, no USB. Then I realized the plug wasn't seating properly.So fix your plug and you're cookin.By the way, these plugs have two small buttons on the outer edges. Hard to see if you're unfamiliar with Apple junk, as I am. These operate two catches that keep the connector in place. Don't forget to press them when removing the connector. Otherwise you'll think it's stuck. Don't rip it out in frustration.Also, the connector has two extra very small white grooves on the bottom, if you're wondering which way it plugs in. I didn't know and was worried about a reverse plug-in.Happy cabling.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.