Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quadrant gives me a message that the device is using a software GL renderer when I go to run the tests. Anyone have any guesses as to where I might look into it? I was hoping we might get lucky and it's just a switch we need to turn on
Otherwise, this Samsung platform seems to be pretty widespread so maybe we can find a driver somewhere.I'm also not sure if the message is related to us running 2.0. I know that hardware acceleration was added or enhanced in Eclair, but details as to whether it was 2.0, 2.0.1, or 2.1 (all of which are referred to as "Eclair") seem unclear.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
No guesses, but I was wondering the same. The one thing that is fairly slow on this thing now is the video playback, which I keep thinking might be related to the lack of hardware rendering.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did try a drop-in overwrite of the eGL drivers from the moment onto the PDN. It works, but the color changes every few seconds (blue becomes orange, then back again). I still had a software renderer, so I didn't really pursue it further.It is kind of trippy though

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Actually, a question out to everyone here - does anyone with more Android knowledge than me (which is probably everyone) know what lib file(s) actually control the video rendering? I'm more than willing to use my PDN as a test bed and break it. Now that I have a back up of /system, I have an easy way to backout. :)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote name='roebeet;28052]Actually' date=' a question out to everyone here - does anyone with more Android knowledge than me (which is probably everyone) know what lib file(s) actually control the video rendering? I'm more than willing to use my PDN as a test bed and break it. Now that I have a back up of /system, I have an easy way to backout. :)[/QUOTE']I can give you a laymens version of what I know:libsurfaceflinger - surface renderer (some hardware accel, if supported)libpixelflinger - other renderer (?), all software from what I've readeverything in egl - I believe that stuff is generally platform independent, though not 100% sure.Feel free to correct me, because obviously.....yeah

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone who is a glutton for punishment can try stuff from here:Haxsung SDX Custom Custom ROM KitchenI tried the Samdroid OpenGL, but it's a ton of files, and at least one of them caused a break. There's also source for the s3c6410 driver that I found floating around...If nothing else, you can look at the OpenGL thing and get an idea of what is involved in the OpenGL. I'm thinking they threw in some extra stuff that isn't necessary....

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Same results so far -- Samdroid = no boot at all, Storm = boots up, but funky colors and decreased performance. I wonder if there was anything 2.0 based a few months ago, that we just cannot find given that many have already moved onto 2.1+?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote name='roebeet;28433]Same results so far -- Samdroid = no boot at all' date=' Storm = boots up, but funky colors and decreased performance. I wonder if there was anything 2.0 based a few months ago, that we just cannot find given that many have already moved onto 2.1+?[/QUOTE'] That's really our problem. NOTHING ran 2.0 except for the Droid for a bit, and that doesn't really help us.It's probably easier to push the Novel to 2.1 as opposed to finding 2.0 stuff, unfortunately.(If you go to Google's SDK page it has release notes for 2.2,2.1,1.6, and 1.5. There's an expandable arrow for "older version". That's where 2.0 and 2.0.1. We suck
)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quote name='oozeeh;28447]so what do we need to get to 2.1? an official firmware update might lock out the ability to hack and root like they did to the droid [IMG]http://www.slatedroid.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE] Most of Android stays unchanged' date=' it's really just the tweaks for hardware support that cause issues. We could probably bring over most of the Moment ROM and use it, but at some point we'll either break support for our hardware (touchscreen no longer works,etc), or else it will crash due to expecting phone hardware.Since you said you wanted somewhere to start, here's some reading [IMG]http://www.slatedroid.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smiley.gif[/IMG] It looks like it is decently informative, despite being for an old version of Android:[URL=http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/Linux-For-Devices-Articles/Porting-Android-to-a-new-device/']Porting Android to a new device - Linux For Devices Articles - Linux for Devices[/URL]Right now, we have no source for anything, so about all we can do is tinker like a jigsaw puzzle.ANything here is probably good too:Welcome to Android | Android Open Sourcesuch as the "Porting" tab.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
What do we need? Some programmers who are a lot smarter than me, and Pandigital's help (starting with making the source code available). :)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[quote name='roebeet;28479]What do we need? Some programmers who are a lot smarter than me' date=' and Pandigital's help (starting with making the source code available). :)[/QUOTE'] The Samsung board seems pretty popular, so even if we don't get source it isn't completely hopeless. I'm going to recklessly try flashing the Moment Kernel on mine and see what happens ;)

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Question from a noob: Looks like most of these ROM's are a zImage (that makes sense to me, from a Linux perspective). Given that Pandigital seems to have a fairly unique way of doing things, are they just taking a Zimage, renaming it to Kernel and using that in their ZIP? Or do you think that their kernel image is formatted differently?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[quote name='roebeet;28510]Question from a noob: Looks like most of these ROM's are a zImage (that makes sense to me' date=' from a Linux perspective). Given that Pandigital seems to have a fairly unique way of doing things, are they just taking a Zimage, renaming it to Kernel and using that in their ZIP? Or do you think that their kernel image is formatted differently?[/QUOTE'] As far as I can tell, it is a regular zImage with a bunch of crap stuck on the front for verification/error checking. I'm about 1/2 way through figuring out all the various parts (at least I think I am), and then I'll be able to flash. Ramdisk has the same stupid header.:mad:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.