Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a problem with the PDN waking during the night. Before installing Google Experience (GE) I was able to resolve this problem by turning off all settings like background data sync that allow apps to dial home etc..But GE changed everything. It adds a lock slider. I believe that program captures the event caused by sliding the power button and changes the phones sleep behavior. Since GE is intended for phones this makes perfect sense. But for tablets I want my device to hibernate... No power usage while sleeping with rapid restart (no reboot).After GE is installed everytime you wake up you go to a screen with a slider in the upper right corner. To bypass the sliding you press the menu button. I hated this and was given a work around called No Lock that lets you bypass the menu button press.. But the GE slider things is still in control of the sleep. So I removed that app.I found you can sometimes slide the slider.... Sliding it to the right side of the arc is important for this to work. When you first put the phone into sleep mode the screen is completely off. But after 10 - 15 minutes it powers back on extremely dim... power saving... but still using power.. You have to be in a dark room to see it. The phone stays this way until you wake it up again. This uses powers...So to get the PDN to go into a hibernate power savings mode... all you have to do is let it time out... I had my sleep timeout set at the default 10 minutes.. I changed it to 2 minutes... Now I never slide the power switch just let the phone put itself into sleep mode. This bypasses the GE kidnapping of the sleep mode.... The phone actually hibernates... No power being used... I left my phone this way last night. No perceived power loss at all for 7 hours. And when it wakes up there is no annoying GE slider bar in the upper left corner..

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
[quote name='geebekazoo;29232]Well' date=' what exactly did you do, and to what???[/QUOTE'] I'm still confused myself
It sounds like NoLock (which may or may not be necessary) + letting device sleep on it's own (helped by lowering the sleep timeout). I don't think NoLock really does anything except trap the lock screen display event and immediately exit it, so it may not be necessary.I'm really not sure why Google Experience would change the sleep behavior. I also thought someone else said their battery was dying while asleep and they didn't have google experience.So maybe the lesson is "Don't sleep via the power switch"

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The sleep problem is very complicated. Without GE you can have a sleep problem that can be solved by selecting the correct settings options.GE makes it harder by inserting an extra step (the lock slider screen) that did not exist before installing GE.The no lock app is a diversion. Solves the annoyance but not the battery drain.I did NOTHING that involves hacking or modding or patching...What I did do is play with it enough to figure out a way for user actions to avoid the battery draining problem.There is no silver bullet here to be added to a list of installed hacks...Only information about how I was able to solve an overnight power draining problem I experienced after adding GE.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With GE and WITHOUT No Lock just letting the device sleep solves the power drain issue...UNLESS.... You have managed to move the GE power lock slider to the left. It must be at the right position.I guess this sounds trivial.. But it has taken me 3 days....and nights... to find this out.. I just wanted to share it with anyone else having the issue.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not sure if having no lock installed would affect the time out solution.. I discovered it did not fix the real problem a couple of days ago and removed it.Without GE it is still possible to have the device wake up from sleeping if you have not set the the proper settings... I believe the 2 key ones are the Background data in the Accounts and settings should be off and Back up my settings in the privacy settings should be off... These were the 2 that I turned off several weeks ago before installing GE that let my device hibernate without power draining.Like I said it is a complicated problem.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I think you are right about no lock only shutting the screen off when the novel sleeps, either by letting it timeout or pressing the slider.I just uninstalled it, and lo and behold the touching the screen no longer wakes up the novel after flipping the power switch!the locking thing when it wakes up as now I need to hit menu before it sleeps again, but it is much better than a dead battery!thanks!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Apparently this is extremely confusing.....Here's a very simple way to see if this will work for you.1. If you do NOT have Google Experience ...ignore this thread!2. Slide the power switch to put your device to sleep... Slide it again to wake it up.. Does it come up with the GE slider at the upper right ?3. Let your device reach the sleep timeout... after the screen goes black... slide the power switch to wake it up .... Does it come up without the GE slider ?If the answer to 2 and 3 is yes I believe doing this will save you battery power. To verify it is saving you battery power you have to let it sleep for several hours before waking it up by sliding the power switch for both step 2 and 3.In step #2 the remaining battery power should be less than before you did it.In step #3 the remaining battery power should be about the same as before you did.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
If background data sync is off then you cannot download programs from the Android Market. If you want to download programs then you need to turn background data sync back on. When you buy Android Market the device just issues a download request. The Market then pushes the app to the phone use the background sync manager. If that is off the download will never start.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jackbox - When I launch market it sees the background download is off and puts up a confirm message that launcher you to the enable screen. I click the enable and returns me to the market. Pretty easy. I then just have to remember to go back and turn it off when I'm done with market.sasha - When you turn your phone back on after pressing the soft power button provided by lockenabler does it come up with Google Experience swipe thing in the upper right of the screen ?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
[quote name='nvrpayretail;29540]According to Quick System Info' date=' "Phone Idle" is chewing up battery. Anyone know how to stop that from running?[/QUOTE']From researching: "Phone Idle is the power your phone needs to stay switched on and all the electronics powered up - the memory going, the CPU running at a minimal speed, background processes, etc." (You unfortunately can't really do anything about it since nothing is running. It's just the phone sitting there. We probably need to look whatever power management PD is doing....I think there's at least 4-5 levels.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.