Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone gotten Skype with video chat to work or any other video chat for that matter. I bought this device on the advice that it would work. I can't get it to work and the guy who told me he did won't reply? Any help.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
He likely lied to you to sell it.

Skype video calling requires; Cortex A8 @ 800 MHz or better plus NEON. A8s come with NEON & most A9s too except for Tegra 2. I tried to look for CPU specs but could not find out which CPU type it uses. I would guess maybe ARM11?

·
Registered
13 Posts
The CPU is a "PAN1G6", I can't find much information on it except that it runs at 800mhz, has a single core, and is similar to a Cortex processor.

I have Skype installed and it does voice calls fine, but not video. I'm about to give this a shot:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Android/Pandigital-Planet-and-Pandigital-Nova-An-other-request-please/td-p/64278

Re: Pandigital Planet and Pandigital Nova An other request please.
Options
11-08-2011 01:45

I can now make Skype work reliably on the Nova, but the Nova does not send video. Download Skype. Once it is set up, log in. You can now make one call (turn on up video on the Skype setup menu). To make subsequent calls and have incoming video work, you have to stop Skype from the home screen app menu (select it from the all apps list, NOT running processes, and press stop). Then select Skype again. As it logs in, press the back button as soon as you see your name on the screen (otherwise it freezes). Then select Skype again and make your call. Until it is addressed by someone, you'll be able to see the folks you called, but they won't see you (even though the camera works fine in other apps.) A bit tedious, but it works, and Nova fits in my pocket, unlike the iPad. Netflix also works (I used a download that bypasses some Netflix checking).

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
The CPU is a "PAN1G6", I can't find much information on it except that it runs at 800mhz, has a single core, and is similar to a Cortex processor.
I hate companies that rebrand the CPU. I doubt Pandigital makes the CPU but they hide the real chip maker. This makes it harder to lookup specs on the Internet. ie, to know if ARM11 or Cortex chip and what GPU.

Ok, looks like someone is able to get Skype 1 way video calling working. Could be 800 MHz is too weak to do 2 way video? Or maybe some type of Skype bug? You should let Skype know about this so maybe they can fix it with newer release.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Skype 2 way video works rather well on my Nova running Android 2.3.4. Used it last night. I have the 12/15/2011 update, the device is rooted and I think I got Skype from Amazon Market, if that matters. Not sure what proc I have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts