Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am attempting to share my phone's Internet connection with my M003. So far, no luck. M003 is running 1.7.4 original, and I have managed to root the device. Here's what I've attempted so far: USB tethering: plugged phone via USB cable into M003. Can't see the phone at all. WOn't even show up in any file manager. On phone, have chosen mass storage and com port modes. Same result. Have attempted to configure a connection with app "WebSharingLite". App says that I am connected to a "cellular network", but there is no connectivity when I open a browser, or attempt to browse from one device to another. Wifi tethering: Have attempted to create connection with "tetherWifi", "EasyTether" and "Wireless Tether" installed on the M003. Simply can't see the phone. Also, I figured out that I probably should not be using these apps on my M003, and this is not the device with the data connection. I should probably be looking for an app for my phone that handles this. What is a worthwhile j2me app for wifi tethering? Bluetooth tethering: Can not get my M003 to recognize the bluetooth dongle. After rooting the device, I can get the BT icon in the top bar to appear using ES File Explorer. Once I see the BT icon, I get a FC on ES File Explorer, and am unable to manipulate/configure Bluetooth in any way. Have also tried the a BT on/off widget. No effect, though it will FC most of the time when activating. The same BT dongle will work with at least a couple of my laptops, and I can interface with the phone, using RC, FTP, etc. Stil can't share the phone's data connection, so I'm back to wondering if there is a decent java app for this. Pay is OK at this point. This sort of thing for java seems rare, unless I'm just missing something huge. Scoured getjar.com, and a few java phone related forums attempting to score this seemingly elusive connection sharing/tethering app. Thoughts/ideas?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I was trying the samething via bluetooth, read that BT tethering was only available in versions 2.0 and above. I was able to do BT file transfers with the original 1.7.4 ROM, but not working on Slatedroid 1.7.4. Probably want to look at SmartQ V7, R7 or T7. The latter 2 running 800x600 7" screen, double ram, and from what I can tell double CPU power. OS Ubuntu and probably Android 2.1 since SmartQ V7 already runs OS 2.0. I'm also hoping someone will get M003 BT updated, but I'm sure we can agree, OS 2.x is the way M003 needs to head.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@tron33: Agreed. I'd like to see 2.x on the M003. Ecotox's overclocking (future version) sounds promising, as long as we can cool the chip adequately after ratcheting it up. If the processor is running faster, maybe we can run with a more advanced OS version. RE connectivity, I'm about at the end of viable paths to head down RE wireless. Tethering is just not gonna happen with things as they are. One glimmer of hope is a handful of wireless modems that I want to try. There's a GPRS modem that I will be testing when it arrives in a few days, and also the much lauded Huawei E220. Going 3G is pretty sexy, but I don't know that I want the added expense. RE preparing to run a beefier OS, I have some ideas that will be posted to the mods area shortly. There's some pretty wild stuff that may help us out a ton. I'm no coder/editor, but I love to build and tinker.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Saw it. Thanks, axel. I don't know that I want another 3G account, though, so I've been trying to piggy-back my M003 - if at all possible. At the end of the road, though, if I find it important enough, I'll get that E220, cuz that's what appears to work. I just gotta tinker, though. Y'know?

·
Registered
28 Posts
plugged phone via USB cable into M003. Can't see the phone at all. WOn't even show up in any file manager. On phone, have chosen mass storage and com port modes. Same result. Have attempted to configure a connection with app "WebSharingLite". App says that I am connected to a "cellular network", but there is no connectivity when I open a browser, or attempt to browse from one device to another.
I'm trying the same, I have a WM8505 running Android 1.7.4

I connected my cellphone via USB to the machine and the same as you, nothing BUT, when you open terminal and type dmesg you can see the device recognizing your phone, mine does but I still can't use it as a modem. I will try the app you mentioned to see if I have any luck with it.

I was able to use my cellphone via cable or via bluetooth but using my old Pocket PC and my old Palm TX with Palm os. I wonder if I can do the same here.

Bluetooth works on mine but I choosed carefully the dongle having serial port profile capability. But so far I can't do anything with it. I can pair devices but that's it. I want to download apps and play with it, will do but I no longer have wifi at home, just 3G usb modem that my wm8505 won't recognize.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.