Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked all over the forum and I cannot seem to located the discussion and link to the mkyaffs2image that is compiled for the ARM cpu. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Thank You so much :)I have a few of questions if you got the time. If i were to use the process to create an image of the userdata.img then I should copy the mkfs.yaffs.arm into a location other than /data. Such as /system and execute from there.

1) Do you know of any data in the userdata.img that is not located in the /data location on the Novel?
2) If /data on Novel does not contain symlinks, would a faster alternative be to adb pull the /data to a data folder on the PC and then create the userdata.img using the Windows mkyaffs2image.exe or equiv. Does making the .img on the Novel retain file permissions and the like?
3) Which area of the builtin memory areas has the largest available space? cache?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Absolutely correct on the userdata.img comment - if you didn't do that, your userdata.img would be twice the size as you are backing up into itself.

The only data that seems to be outside of data may be google ID information, going on previous experience. Other than that, i'm not certain.

For #2, I've pondered over the same and I'm not sure. I'm thinking ACLs would definitely be an issue (not retained) and symlinks would probably break, if they existed. There's also the possibility that Windows specific files (ie hidden files) might creep into the .img file.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If i uncompress the mkfs.yaffs.arm file from the .gz using Windows WinRAR and push with adb, will I have to chmod the file to have it function properly, I intend to push it to the /system/bin folder on the Novel.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
This is exactly what I do, and it's worked every time (ripped from my very messy PDN notes, so ignore the ./ if you aren't using a Linux system):

./adb push mkfs.yaffs2.arm /data/misc/mkfs.yaffs2./adb shellcd /data/misc./mkfs.yaffs2 /system system.img exit./adb pull /data/misc/system.img ./system.img

and of course delete the original /data/misc/system.img, when completed.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone know where we can get an ARM version of unyaffs? I would like to unpack an .img on the novel through terminal or adb shell.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.