Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, don't know if Aimeless_E is still here - did you or anyone else get a good picture of the battery or the specs?If not, I may have to open mine up to take a look.I'd like to look for a battery replacement that will extend battery life for our M001s.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, now that I've opened it up, I have a much better idea where the various components are. See photo. (Sorry, Aimless, I didn't realize one of your photos is the battery, since it didn't look like a battery.)EDIT: I can't attach my photo because the file is too big - will figure this out later so go with my verbal description for now.The battery of this thing is positively HUGE!
And it actually runs very cool - the part that gets hot is the processor, not the battery. The problem is the firmware does not power down the processor at all when you power down (not completely power off). That's why the unit is actually very cool when we power all the way down and charge. Without powering all the way down, the processor is actually running full tilt, probably on an idle process - hopefully fixable with new firmware.The "battery" looks to be actually 2 batteries, with a small circuit board, wrapped together in the yellow plastic, and takes up a huge amount of room on the right side of the photo, which is the top rear of the device when using in portrait mode.One seller lists it as Li-ion 7.4v 1600mAH. If that is the case then it should be possible to find a much better battery that will easily fit and be much lighter as well. But we need to figure out what the circuit board does though.I will contact my seller to see if I can get more info.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The battery looks like a LiPoly battery pack, rather than LiIon. Either way, Lithium based cells need to have special charging circuits (different to NiMh and NiCad) or they can be dangerous (fizzle/fire/bang). The board is most likely a charge limiter so as not to overcharge the cells (probably 2 x 3.7v in series). So if you find a replacement battery, make sure its the same chemistry, or bad things may occur...I have seen what happens when a LiPoly is charged with a NiMh charger - not nice...Check out Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_polymer_battery

·
Registered
87 Posts
From wikipedia about LiPo batteries:The voltage of a Li-poly cell varies from about 2.7 V (discharged) to about 4.23 V (fully charged), and Li-poly cells have to be protected from overcharge by limiting the applied voltage to no more than 4.235 V per cell used in a series combination. Overcharging a Li-poly battery will likely result in explosion and/or fireHey, I want to boost the battery use too, just be careful ... I had a 7.4 volt heli LiPo battery incinerate a $200 r/c helicopter

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,Does anyone have the power specifications of the EKENS m001 charger?i've just orderd one from DealExtreme and i live in europe... the power here is 220V so i wanna buy the cord beforehead.so, i read somewhre its 9V , what abot the mAh? and the polarity?Thanks!

·
Registered
143 Posts
[quote author=roy27787 link=topic=133.msg1197#msg1197 date=1274361012]Hi,Does anyone have the power specifications of the EKENS m001 charger?i've just orderd one from DealExtreme and i live in europe... the power here is 220V so i wanna buy the cord beforehead.so, i read somewhre its 9V , what abot the mAh? and the polarity?Thanks![/quote]On the Aimless Teardown page, it says:"...the PS outputs 9v 1.5A, polarity is center Positive, and the Model number is K-Q6 "Hope this helps.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just received my Eken last night and I'm in the process of getting familiar with it.Just like everyone else, I'm concerned about the low battery life.A little while ago I checked the settings which show where all the power is going. To my surprise, a huge percentage of power has gone to "device idle". What!!?? Why in the world is it using so much power when sitting idle. I've never owned a device which eats power when it's idle .I have only found two ways of powering down. One is to totally shut the device off. The other seems to be putting the screen to sleep, but the glowing red lights continue to stay on (far from being a real idle).Isn't there a true 'sleep' function which allows it appear it's turned-off (no glowing lights) but it's actually ready to jump back to life upon touching the start button? If there is not a way of doing this, are there any software utilities (or other means) which might allow this to happen?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm hoping that at some point we will get firmware that manages the power much better.In the meantime we're trying to find an alternative battery in parallel.I see some Lipol batteries for sale on eBay and other places - mostly for rc cars/planes/helicopters.It seems we have people who have experience with these on the board - is there a good way to get them to work with the small circuit board in the Eken battery pack (which I assume to be some kind of semi-intelligent charge circuit which Lipol cells need)?Are Lipol batteries standard enough that things are interchangeable after the little charge circuit?Or do these rc batteries come with their own built-in charge controller circuits?I've also asked the seller to check with the factory on battery specs but have yet to hear back.

·
Registered
100 Posts
[quote author=ikanos link=topic=133.msg1224#msg1224 date=1274374720]It seems we have people who have experience with these on the board - is there a good way to get them to work with the small circuit board in the Eken battery pack (which I assume to be some kind of semi-intelligent charge circuit which Lipol cells need)?Are Lipol batteries standard enough that things are interchangeable after the little charge circuit?Or do these rc batteries come with their own built-in charge controller circuits?I've also asked the seller to check with the factory on battery specs but have yet to hear back.[/quote]Can anyone take a picture of the circuit in the battery pack?LiPOs come usually without any controller, but the little circuit could just be a failsafe and the actual charging controller is on the motherboard. Generally speaking, you can replace the LiPOs with little trouble, since you replace cells with cells of identical voltage just higher amp-hours. If the charging controller works based on voltage, the larger cells would simply take longer to reach the "full" voltage. There is the possibility that the circuit is timer based, which would suck but is unlikely.Edit: BTW, I don't think actual RC batteries are a good choice, they are optimized for fast discharge - but it should not be hard to find some lipos for general use that fit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Eken M001 appears to be sold in the USA as the ?Google Andriod bSocial xE Mobile Internet Tablet?
by www.matricom.net. Interestingly, it is said to have a 1800mAH (Super Capacity Battery) but I can see no mention of battery life. Looking at several reviews of this I have not seen any mention or complaint about battery life.I?d settle for an external rechargeable battery. Does anyone know if a 9v 1.5 amp one exists?For some strange reason the above ended up as just displaying the url! I changed it by "modifying" without change and the rest came back. Sorry if anyone was confused by it and the subsequent replies!

·
Registered
83 Posts
You can get External Battery Packs for Portable DVD Players, most of which are 9V 1.5A+.These go for around 30+ GBP.Check out EBay Item #150446160215

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
[quote author=AndyJenk link=topic=133.msg2015#msg2015 date=1274781076]The Eken M001 appears to be sold in the USA as the ?Google Andriod bSocial xE Mobile Internet Tablet?
by www.matricom.net. Interestingly, it is said to have a 1800mAH (Super Capacity Battery) but I can see no mention of battery life. Looking at several reviews of this I have not seen any mention or complaint about battery life.I?d settle for an external rechargeable battery. Does anyone know if a 9v 1.5 amp one exists?[/quote]
Retail Price : $449.00Our regular price : $299.00Introductory Sale : ONLY $169.00 (for a very limited time)
You would be being ripped of completely if you bought it from there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
[quote author=dkjab link=topic=133.msg2020#msg2020 date=1274783700]You can get External Battery Packs for Portable DVD Players, most of which are 9V 1.5A+.These go for around 30+ GBP.Check out EBay Item #150446160215[/quote]Just bought one of these will say how it goes in theory will give over seven hours extra power...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did manage to see lots of 7.4v LiPo battery packs with its own built-in charge/discharge protection circuits.No luck so far in finding anything that fits the size - I measured it to be about 100mm (including the small PCB) x 60mm x 5mm thick.If anyone else can find anything, let us know ...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey I have a 3600 mAh 7.4 li-ion external battery from a dvd player that I would like to replace the internal LiPol with. Is it possible to just interchange the batteries like that even tho they are of different metal type?

·
Registered
5 Posts
1 - 20 of 79 Posts