Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,I just got my Novel two nights ago and I've installed a few extra apps - ADW, LauncherPro, Adobe Reader, Aldiko, Kindle, AndExplorer, and VuDroid - to help out the eReader experience. I haven't rooted (and probably won't since I've already rooted my Droid - that's enough hacking goodness for me ;)). I noticed last night that the screen sporadically turns itself on. The backlight is off, but I can see a faint glimmer of the screen and touching the screen turns the backlight on, after which I can interact with the device as normal. Sometimes, this is accompanied with a brief "tick" from the speakers. I haven't timed it exactly, but I think it usually happens about 10-15 minutes after shutting off the screen.I've tried searching around but unfortunately haven't come across anybody else having the same problem. I've found some people who can't turn the screen off at all, but I can at least turn mine off - it just won't stay off! Is this a common problem for which there's a fix? Should I reflash and just stick with the stock app?Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote name='Wineaux;22648]Nope' date=' this seems to be happening to all Novels right now. Stock, or hacked. It's something that will need to be fixed via a new firmware update.[/QUOTE'] That's a shame. Seems the Novel is actually as buggy as some of the reviews indicated :-(Thanks for the repies.

·
Registered
171 Posts
From what someone has just discovered, it seems to be the Facebook app that is waking up the Novel to check for updates. If you hack the device and delete that app the problem goes away. Conversely it is probably an easy fix that Pandigital can take care of quickly as soon as they are made aware of the problem.

·
Registered
147 Posts
If this is happening to stock (unhacked) Novels, then it is not facebook. The stock Novel does NOT include the facebook app. The facebook icon on the stock novel is simply a bookmark that opens up the stock browser to the facebook website. Very cheesy and one of the reasons I knew I needed to hack mine ASAP!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote name='BiPolarBear;22691]If this is happening to stock (unhacked) Novels' date=' then it is not facebook. The stock Novel does NOT include the facebook app. The facebook icon on the stock novel is simply a bookmark that opens up the stock browser to the facebook website. Very cheesy and one of the reasons I knew I needed to hack mine ASAP![/QUOTE'] This is correct. The Facebook app is not included in my app drawer. I don't think it is the Facebook app because I've not installed the Facebook app manually (I'm not even interested in the web capabilities of the Novel, I mostly just want it for textbooks and leisure reading) and it's happening to me.I think I'll be returning the Novel this weekend and may just wait for either the eee Tablet in September or wait for some details on the Archos Android-based tablets that are supposedly coming out sometime this summer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I found that this issue seems to be caused by any app that periodically checks for data in the background. The most notable example was my email accounts. After deleting all my setup email accounts the device would stay asleep.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Vahalas;22866 said:
I found that this issue seems to be caused by any app that periodically checks for data in the background. The most notable example was my email accounts. After deleting all my setup email accounts the device would stay asleep.
I think I confirmed this today, finally. I went into the task killer app and blew out a bunch of running apps, some of which were internet apps like Twidroyd. I played a few games (Andoku, Frozen Bubble, Word Frenzy, etc), off and on later on, and it was put to sleep in-between but never seemed to wake up on its own as it's been doing. I guess I'm not sure if being semi-awake for email/Twitter/etc updates is so bad, but the touch screen being active seems like a bad idea in any case if you've otherwise told it to sleep. Anyway, kill any updating-type apps and maybe the problem goes away for you. Seems to have for me--today, anyway.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I thought I had some good tests deleted email account, removed updating apps but still the wake up problem persists. One test that was successful was if I am out of wifi range the pdn seems to stay asleep but at this point I cannot pinpoint what is making it wake.Does anyone know if this problem appeared after the 7-18 firmware update? I dont think I had this problem the first night I had the unit. I may have to revert just to test, things like this drive me crazy.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It's been a week or so since this thread was active...Anyone make any progress on this turning on in the middle of the night ?When I first hacked my PanD I just used the 91Panda thing for a week. The first 2 nights I had this happen. But by carefully going thru all the options and preferences panels I managed to get it to sleep all night long...Then I started farting around with Google Experience... Since I have had Experience on it this turning on while doing nothing is worse than ever. I again carefully went thru and turned off every autosync option I could find... But there is still something going on. It seems to occur within 60 minutes. Last night I had it happen once after 2 minutes.. It was at 2:00 am (perhaps its on the hour ??)I have studied the battery used by count and time... It seems that Sync and Settings are the most used with the most time when I catch the device has turned itself on... I am not engaging either of these by desire..I have wifi turned off, airplane mode, all syncs that I can see turned off... And still something is turning it on... This is a real problem since it drains the battery.There was speculation in the thread about being in a wifi range (but I have wifi off) or plugging in or removing the power cable... (I have seen this but I am not plugged in)Someone speculated that facebook was an issue..I do not have facebook installed.I have gone thru and stopped all tasks except smartbar... and even removed all the inactive cahced apps...BTW... the browsers seem to loaded and active even after you terminate them... I like the SmartBar quick exit because it will terminate these things completely. Any other suggestions or ideas of what could be of help..

·
Registered
97 Posts
You are right...It is an "invisible" app. No icon in the drawer... I forgot if you go to the PD browser and pull up the tab on the bottom there are several of these invisible PD apps... reader, stocks, facebook, weather, shop b&n.I have never used it... I just tried it... All it does is go to facebook.com in a browser... I couldn't find any options to control it... Rats... perhaps it's just a bookmark ??But I know that I was able to stop this waking business before being introduced to Google Experience... I'll put my money on some Google sync thing that can't easily be turned off..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.