Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
361 Posts
In my endeavors to find out why my PDN discharges while supposedly in sleep mode, I noticed that when the screen times out the first step is for the backlight to go out (OK) then 3 seconds later, the unit goes into sleep mode. During that 3 seconds, I can turn on the backlight with a screen touch, but after 3 sec. I have to slide the pwr switch. I only just noticed this behavior & I recently installed SystemPanel & set the screen timeout to 2 Min. with "sound & Display settings" under "settings" app in LauncherPro. I have reset the screen timeout back to 10 min & will see if it behaves the same. Thing is, I can't find anywhere to set up the auto sleep parameters, like how long inactivity causes sleep mode. Any ideas? It didn't used to do this, I'm pretty sure. kevEdit: Screen time-out back to 10Min & same 3 sec. window before sleep.???? WTF???

· Registered
361 Posts
clockworx;31738]You guys should check out cosmos thread said:
http://www.slatedroid.com/pandigital-novel-android-tablet-discussion/3955-sleep-mode-waking-up-problem-solved.html[/url]
OK, I'll try to sort Cosmos' thread. Hadn't noticed anything pertaining to the screen time-out to sleep time interval. I do have the battery drain overnight problem, but I thought if I targeted the going into sleep issue, I might stumble on a related solution. At least I could see immediate results if I make a change.Regarding my original question, is there a setting for the time between screen blanking to the unit going into sleep? I am pretty sure that the interval used to be much longer than 3 seconds! Cheers,kevEdit: I do not have GE installed.

· Registered
425 Posts
[quote name='bugeyed;31774]OK' date=' I'll try to sort Cosmos' thread. Hadn't noticed anything pertaining to the screen time-out to sleep time interval. I do have the battery drain overnight problem, but I thought if I targeted the going into sleep issue, I might stumble on a related solution. At least I could see immediate results if I make a change.Regarding my original question, is there a setting for the time between screen blanking to the unit going into sleep? I am pretty sure that the interval used to be much longer than 3 seconds! Cheers,kev[/QUOTE']I hadn't noticed the 3 sec situation you found, but then again I never looked for it. One thing I did find is that if I let it time out and wait awhile (haven't timed how long) it 'wakes up' again all by itself. The screen is still blank but if you touch the screen it's back up. Very odd behavior indeed.

· Registered
135 Posts
clockworx;31738]You guys should check out cosmos thread said:
http://www.slatedroid.com/pandigital-novel-android-tablet-discussion/3955-sleep-mode-waking-up-problem-solved.html[/url]
I too have been struggling with this issue for the last several days. I read up on the posts in cosmos' thread cited above and tried all sorts of different setups; for once, maybe twice, I was able to attend that mythical zero-power-consumption stage for several hours in a stretch, but I have not been able replicate that since. In the interests of scienceand my PDN, I'd like to do a more careful controlled experiments; maybe somebody can figure out from my data what's going on.First, my setup: PND with 7-24 FW, rooted, GE, with JIT installed. I have never installed "no lock".Experiment #1:(1) Boot up PDN from a freshly recharged battery (top out at 90%).Screen set to timeout after 1 minute. No auto sync, wifi off. Use "spare part" check that the battery is still at 90%. Use advanced auto kill to kill off everything (except advanced auto kill, which is set to run once every hour). (2) Two widgets are running in the background: weather_widget and battery_life (but remember, wifi is off & no auto sync).(3) The screen dimmed to barely visible level after 1 min of no activity; a few seconds later the screen went off completely.(4) 5 hours and 21 secs from boot: the battery drops from 90% to 75%.Comments:After step (4) I used "spare parts" to check battery history and info; hereare some data that might be of interests to this experiments (all measured under "since last unplugged"):* under "other usage", just two entries: running (47.4%), screen on (7.3%)* under "partial wake usage": android system, media, sync, google, calendar (I clicked each entry to find out the actual usage; the actualnumbers for media/sync/google/calendar are all tiny)* under "usage time": LauncherPro: 59 (count), 871583 ms (usage time) PDReader 3 578309 Market 2 383298 Kindle 7 265993 ES File Explorer 8 145023 Advanced Task Killer 8 80181 BatteryLife 6 56796 com.digitalscalability.batmon 8 32898 Smart Bar 8 30399 Spare Parts 15 28434 Sync 3 26896 Account & Sync Settings 4 26895 Apps Organizer 7 23337 Weather Widgets 6 23003 com.fsc.app.launcher 4 21481 ASTRO 6 13988That's all, folks!I'm now running a second experiment, where in addition to the aboveI have moved the batterylife & weather widget, and even the advanced task killer. Let's see if that would make any difference. That would take several hours; if there's any specific info you want me to report (or NOT!) please let me know.

· Registered
135 Posts
Here is an updated of my Experiment #2. For those of you who wants a summary: (a) battery still drains after I pretty much shut down everything -- the screen was on (dimly) inspite of the auto timeout;(
when I use "spare parts" to check battery history, under "partial wake usage", it reports that "time spent with screen on" is just5m 22s !!!This is SOOOOO wrong.Same setup as before: PND with 7-24 FW, rooted, GE, with JIT installed, never installed "no lock".(1) Boot up PDN from a battery at 90%. Screen set to timeout after 1 minute. No auto sync, wifi off. Use "spare part" check that the battery is still at 70%. Use advanced auto kill to kill off everything, INCLUDING advanced auto kill.(2) No widget running at the background.(3) The screen dimmed to barely visible level after 1 min of no activity; a few seconds later the screen went off completely.(4) 5 hours & 15 secs later: the battery drops from 70% to 50%.Comments:The screen was actually on (very dim) when I checked step (4) -- the same the experiment #1 (I just forgot to mentioned that).Finally, battery history/stat from "spare parts":"other usage": running (81.9%, time spent without sleeping: 4h 19m 20s), screen on (1.7%, time spent with screen on: 5m 22s !!!)"partial wake usage": android system (total time: 2m 2s), media, sync, google, calendar (seconds, at most)" usage time": settings 48 1479391 ms LauncherPro 77 1199351 PDReader 3 579309 Market 2 497758 Kindle 7 265993 ES file explorer 8 145023 Advanced task killer 14 117376 spare parts 40 (count) 80001 ms smart bars 11 73346 batterlife 6 56896 sync 5 42054 com.digitalscalability.batmon 8 32989 account & sync settings 4 26895 apps organizer 7 23337 weather widgets 6 23003 com.fsc.app.launcher 4 21481 ASTRO 6 13988 PDsystemsetting 1 6866 package installer 1 6727Recap: the "time spent with screen on" stat is clearly wrong. Is that a hardware or software problem?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.