Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so my stock screen protector is already scratched up (a nice big scratch dead center)..and I'm thinking about just maybe buying a better quality one from the store and cutting it to fit the screen but I know its not going to be very pretty cutting those rounded edges. does anyone make one for the Chuwi?

Sent from my CW-V88-QUAD using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
32 Posts
Am I the only one that didn't have a stock screen on my device when it got delivered? The only thing I had mounted on the screen was a plastic sheet which had some specifications printed on the top left corner, and a sticker telling me to remove it before use. Is this the screen protector everybody is talking about?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure you don't have one? I didn't think I did until I applied one that I cut myself and it started pulling the factory one off. Its on there snug.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Has anyone taken the factory screen protector off, if so is the screen glass or plastic?
(I prefer to use the screen without protector but if it's plastic, it would be silly to remove the protector, kind of silly anyway as it's been nicely fitted by the factory.)

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Hey guys,

Xtreme Guard is having a 75% off sale on their screen protectors right now. I think to get a half-way decent screen protector we might have to embrace the potential of buying a larger one and cutting it to size. Link for the Xtreme Guard deal is below:

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=59707886&postcount=2

smithmal

ps - when you get your protector(s), it will be shipped in a very non-descriptive white envelope (it may look like spam mail) so be on the look out so you don't accidentally throw it away.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey guys,

Xtreme Guard is having a 75% off sale on their screen protectors right now. I think to get a half-way decent screen protector we might have to embrace the potential of buying a larger one and cutting it to size. Link for the Xtreme Guard deal is below:

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=59707886&postcount=2

smithmal

ps - when you get your protector(s), it will be shipped in a very non-descriptive white envelope (it may look like spam mail) so be on the look out so you don't accidentally throw it away.
Does anyone here have experience doing this? How well does this kind of material cut? How did you handle creating the camera cut-out?

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Does anyone here have experience doing this? How well does this kind of material cut? How did you handle creating the camera cut-out?
The protector would not go over the bezel, just over the screen itself so one wouldn't need to worry about custom cuts for the camera. Easiest way is to take a piece of tracing paper or thin paper and outline the screen perimeter. Cut the paper with scissors and ensure that the tracing matches your screen shape. Then tape the cut tracing to your screen protector and use it as a guide to cut the protector itself to match the tracing. When applying the newly cut out screen protector to your tablet, you'll want to ensure it's relatively wet (not too wet) so you can adjust the protector and push out all the air bubbles (I usually push out the air bubbles once it is positioned using a credit card). There are instructions for screen protector applications on the Xtreme Guard site.

smithmal

ps - I ordered a iPad 4 screen protector (for $3.75 with free shipping after using "memorial" code) and will cut it down to fit once it arrives.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are you sure you don't have one? I didn't think I did until I applied one that I cut myself and it started pulling the factory one off. Its on there snug.

Now I finally found my screen protector! It's mounted very snugly, just as you said. Probing around the perimeter with a needle helped me locate it. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Now I finally found my screen protector! It's mounted very snugly, just as you said. Probing around the perimeter with a needle helped me locate it. :)
Well, in light of this I take back my complaint about sloppy build quality in one respect. I was bugged by what seemed to be the top level of screen laminate separating from the screen creating bubbles "just like the ones a poorly applied screen protector would make." Seems that the factory installed screen protector was coming off and making bubbles. I removed it and voila, a spotless bezel. Good thing I didn't take the advice of some to glue it in place. As a laughable side note, when I got the device I was a little bummed because in all but bright light the bezel seemed a dirty gray rather than ipad white (wanted black anyway). Now that I removed the factory screen protector my V88 is like a virgin. Touched for the very first time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Do you think it's glass now you have it off? and thanks for the awesome info haven't got mine yet but loving all this info. I saw some screen protectors for chuwi v88 on aliexpress maybe their is no need to cut ones but then again depends on quality.

Even my ipad has micro scratches when viewed with power off and viewed just at a certain angle looks like dust but are scratches not that im worried and I make sure I use my finger tips so screen protector would be handy

I hope it's glass and not plastic shame it isn't gorilla glass

·
Registered
23 Posts
I found some dimensional drawings of the apple mini, and it looks like the V88 is very close in screen size. I don't think the pre-cut camera holes will line up though.

But Wait...

It does look like the pre-cut hole for the "home" button would be large enough to accommodate the camera if the screen protector is installed upside down. (top to bottom)

Here is the drawing that I came across if anyone would like to double check me.

Link to drawing

PS - My tape measure reading skillz are up to standard, however my beat-up grade school plastic ruler reading skillz may be lacking.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I hope it's glass and not plastic shame it isn't gorilla glass
The corner of my protector has started to peel up. I can't be certain yet, because I can only feel a small part of the screen, but it feels like plastic to me.
Can't say I'm too surprised, though.

If it is plastic, doesn't that limit the kinds of screen protectors we can use?

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
The corner of my protector has started to peel up. I can't be certain yet, because I can only feel a small part of the screen, but it feels like plastic to me.
Can't say I'm too surprised, though.

If it is plastic, doesn't that limit the kinds of screen protectors we can use?
The screen is glass but the front bezel is plastic. The screen protector that Chuwi installs on the tablet covers both the screen and the bezel. It's a good question as to how well an OEM screen protector will adhere to the plastic bezel. I purchased one myself with the intent of installing (XtremeGuard screen protector), but don't have any issues at the moment with the stock screen protector so I am holding off on installing it. When I do though, I will most likely cut the screen protector to fit only the glass screen and not have it go over the plastic bezel.

smithmal

·
Registered
227 Posts
Looking from this screenshot,

it's glass alright, look at the cracked corner

(seems not durable as gorilla though)

ups. its a grossly pelled sticker ...not a crack

·
Registered
20 Posts
Looking from this screenshot,

it's glass alright, look at the cracked corner

(seems not durable as gorilla though)

ups. its a grossly pelled sticker ...not a crack

I would have left my screen protector on but I couldn't get the stupid sticker + adhesive off clean enough to leave mine on.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I would have left my screen protector on but I couldn't get the stupid sticker + adhesive off clean enough to leave mine on.
actually below the layer with chuwi sticker, there still the protector, the first layer is the protective layer..

you can remove the first layer, and still have the protector...
i did on mine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Found these on AliExpress:

3 pcs:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Arrival-Free-Shipping-Wholesale-Dropshipping-3Pcs-Lot-Tablet-Screen-Protectors-For-Chuwi-V88-Quad-Core/855418132.html

5pcs:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Clear-Screen-Protector-Film-For-7-9-Inch-CHUWI-V88-Quad-Core-Tablet-PC-with-Camera/963219439.html

And what about iPad mini pouches, will Chuwi fit in these? I mean the fabric/knitted ones... Dimensions of iPad mini and Chuwi are similar and these pouches are stretchable...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone taken the factory screen protector off, if so is the screen glass or plastic?
(I prefer to use the screen without protector but if it's plastic, it would be silly to remove the protector, kind of silly anyway as it's been nicely fitted by the factory.)
I took mine off, as I also had a onda v818, and although very nice, the chuwi screen seemed very bad in comparison.

The onda is still just a bit better, but removing the protector of the chuwi helped a lot. I cant really tell if it is glass or hardened plastic, it makes the same sound as the onda and the iphone 3gs screen does when taping on them with a metal object, with is a plastic sound, not a glass one, but I am not sure. It is good though, i tried scratching it with the tip of a swish knife, and I could't make any marks using reasonable force. I say for a device costing 130 euros, there is not need fot a screen protector. The screen is much better without one, and hole point of a cheap china tablet is to be able to take full use of it, with no remorses

1 - 20 of 25 Posts