Android Tablets Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone put a screen protector on this device yet? Does the screen still operate normally. I like to put a screen protector on all my devices. On ebay they sell 7" ones for $2.99 up. My unit will be shipped to me tomorrow. I hope to get it in Thailand early next week.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just put a screen protector on mine yesterday (I use a stylus so I didn't want to risk scratching it.) and it seems to be working just like it did before. I haven't noticed any difference in the reponsiveness of the device. The screen protector I have I bought at walmart and I think it was supposed to fit the kindle so they were too small so I ended up using both of them to cover the screen. I will be investing in a screen protector that will fit better, soon. Also the ones I have on there now are matte finished and I like it better than the glossy screen, but thats just my preference.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Wouldn't it be GREAT if Pandigital would sell some cases and screen protectors?And if they would read this site?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Many of the screen protector companies use a 3M product called scotchgard paint protection film. This was originally designed for car paint protection and 3M used to sell it directly to consumers. Now 3M only sells it to installers. Many say that this is what Invisable Shield uses, by cutting it to size and repackaging it for consumer electronics.Here are some links on this: Crackberry DiscussionHoward Forums DiscussionAnother Discussion This has an installation video.You can get the film from ebay:Ebay Linkor from XPEL.com (it may be a similar product) http://www.xpel.com/products/bulk.aspCut to size, use water with a little bit of alcohol or baby shampoo as the applicator, and use a credit card to squeegee

·
Registered
592 Posts
This is the first company I have talked to that has created a screen protector for the Novel:http://www.screenpatronus.com/Their website is a little strange. Select laptop/desktop and hit the buy button. In the Make and model field, enter Pandigital Novel. The price is $23.50, which I think is a little steep considering in dash nav screens of similar size only costs $12.50. I asked them about this but haven't heard back yet. I found them through ebay, where they have a pretty good feedback rating.These films are anti-glare and scratch resistant.I plan on buying one of these protectors as a trial, but I haven't done so yet. If you are impatient, you are welcome to order one for yourself.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have ordered a protector from another site that I have been in contact with that was about $7 cheaper. Hopefully they will cut it to my exact specs. If they do it should be a perfect fit. We'll see...

·
Registered
143 Posts
I ordered an iPad screen protector (2x) for $1.49 with free shipping on eBay and I just plan on using an exacto knife lightly taped to a sheet of graph paper to cut the protector down to the proper size. Using a brand new exacto blade on one of these protectors should give a clean cut and should work without any issues.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I purchased 2x iPad screen protectors on eBay for $1.49 shipped, and I plan on lightly taping a protector to a sheet of graph paper and using a brand new exacto knife to cut the edges off and make a perfect fit. If you use a sharp enough blade I don't see why anyone would have any problems duplicating this, plus it's a much cheaper alternative than having one custom made for the device.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I made a temporary one fron Staples brand clear window decals., repositionable. It works well, cannot be cleaned (gets foggy). Working well enough for now. Pack of 10 letter size for $15. Makes 20.

·
Registered
592 Posts
got my screen protector in and it is a perfect fit. I ordered it from here:http://www.photodon.com/they have a couple of different options for film type with different anti-reflective and clarity properties. the dimensions I used were:171.7 mm x 123.5 mm with 3 mm rounded cornersthis results in a < .5mm border around the screen. imo, it is a perfect fit.I used their MXH film because it is supposed to have the least distortion, but not the best ant-reflectivity. their MXT film has better ar properties, but has slightly more distortion. The sent me a sample of mxt for comparison, and I did notice a little more distortion, but the ar seemed about the same as the mxh. I'm preferred the mxh.Here is the link to place the order for mxh film:http://www.photodon.com/mm5/merchan...arch_Begin_Only_=&sort=&range_low=&range_highuntil they offer this as a standard item, you need to pay an extra $2.50 and give them the dimensions. I'm still working on that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey gang, if you don't mind cutting one out yourself then use the following. "5 Below" store has a 13" laptop screen protector for something like $3. You should bet at least 2 coverages out of each one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
jackbox;16638 said:
Has anyone put a screen protector on this device yet? Does the screen still operate normally. I like to put a screen protector on all my devices. On ebay they sell 7" ones for $2.99 up. My unit will be shipped to me tomorrow. I hope to get it in Thailand early next week.
The package included a warning about glass inside. Doesn't that mean the screen has a glass top instead of plastic and thus already scratch resistance? I can't what else of the Novel can be glass.:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
derelicte;20302]got my screen protector in and it is a perfect fit. I ordered it from here:[URL]http://www.photodon.com/[/URL]they have a couple of different options for film type with different anti-reflective and clarity properties. the dimensions I used [URL=were:171.7]were:171.7[/URL] mm x 123.5 mm with 3 mm rounded cornersthis results in a < .5mm border around the screen. imo said:
http://www.photodon.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MXH-3265-01&Store_Code=P&search=3265&offset=0&filter_cat=&PowerSearch_Begin_Only_=&sort=&range_low=&range_high[/url]until they offer this as a standard item, you need to pay an extra $2.50 and give them the dimensions. I'm still working on that.
Any idea how many it would take for them to offer it standard? Why not start a thread and see if we can't get enough people to sign on to get them to offer them. I need two... at least.

·
Registered
160 Posts
hfc99;21918 said:
The package included a warning about glass inside. Doesn't that mean the screen has a glass top instead of plastic and thus already scratch resistance? I can't what else of the Novel can be glass.:confused:
Shortly before I took mine back, I scratched it with a stylus with a small bur I didn't see. so yes, They can be scratched. Seemed to me that there was a thin plastic coating on top of the touch registering screen, that is on top of the glass. The glass can't be the top layer because of how a resistive screen works.

·
Registered
104 Posts
hfc99: you are right the PDN has a glass in it, however in the construction there are typically four layers;Top polyester layer coated with a transparent metallic conductive coating on the bottomAdhesive spacerGlass layer coated with a transparent metallic conductive coating on the topAdhesive layer on the backside of the glass for mounting.Since the top layer needs some flex to create the resistor divider network (ie find your finger press) its generally not made of glass.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.