Android Tablets Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello people,

I am new here and this is my first post. First I would like to thank the authors for the great work on porting debian.

I have a wm8650 tablet, blue led, no vibration with Uberoid 10.1 flashed and also successfully prepared the SD card with the image provided here. Debian does boot but there are some problems as mentioned before here regarding the touchscreen calibration and no "click". None of the hardware buttons seem to work. Using a mouse works fine. You can move the mouse with the touch screen but you cant select or click anything.

Other problem is if you turn off the device without normal shutdown procedure the system will not boot the next time, it will hang during boot. I fix this by booting android, then insert the SD card, wait for it to prepare and then reboot. After this Debian boots again normaly.

Is there any solution about the mentioned problems ?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
269 Posts
PADMAN: I haven't downloaded your .img yet due to the fact i'm stuck tethered to my cell phone with a 2gb limit per month. I built a small userland with buildroot for now. I've been wondering how you were able to read the battery state/level as /proc/apm doesn't exist and i can't seem to find anything in /sys. The backlight controls i found, but battery is baffling me. Would you mind attaching your python script here?

Cheers

EDIT: Nevermind. For whatever reason the wmt_battery_md.ko wasn't loading with my post-boot script. Figured it out now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi.
I started Debian image.Thank the authors for the great work

But there are some problems:
1) if i turn off the device without normal shutdown procedure the system will not boot the next time (on boot messages it print error fsck return code 4). And for normal boot it need format rewrite image.
2) a mouse works fine only it is connected before boot-up, if it disconnect/connect on running OS the system crashed

3) i want connect to my pad a FTDI device (UART to USB)

(Sorry for my English)

·
Registered
269 Posts
A dirty fix to eliminate the file system checks at every boot is to delete or move these 2 files out of /etc/init.d (checkfs.sh and checkroot.sh). If you do this it IS a good idea to fsck your sd card at least once a week to avoid data corruption in the long run.

There is also a fix for external mouse found here: http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/21211-7-wm8650-netbook-linux-port/ on page 3 or 4.

Cheers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
3) i want connect to my pad a FTDI device (UART to USB)
Hello,

This one I can help, so... here we go with the stepping stones:

1. Download these 2 files (they're modules for a WM8650 linux kernel that I compiled):
- FTDI Module
- USB SERIAL Module

2. Copy then to your tablet (SD Card, SCP, direct Wget from your tablet with Debian, etc...)

3. Go to the directory that contain the files and set the system access permittion to them (if you're conservator, a 665 should work too):
# chmod 777 ftdi_sio.ko
# chmod 777 usbserial.ko

4. Install the modules
# insmod usbserial.ko
# insmod ftdi_sio.ko

5. That's all!!!

Now, to test if everything is ok, type dmesg without and with the USB/Serial device. At the tail of your dmesg echo, you'll see that a /dev/ttyUSB# is created when you plug the USB device. So now, you can use it

Bye,
T0N1

·
Registered
19 Posts
Its better to use ext3 instead of ext2. it doesnt have the file system corruption issue.

Padman, it will be great if you write a short guide on how to build my a debian system from scratch. since I would like to port angstrom and gentoo also on it. Also, it will be awesome to upload a .tag archive of the root filesystem so that I can just untar it rather than doing the image dump.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hi all,
I haven't been around for a while, so , nice to see theres still some interest in this project.

@razor11: I haven't yet built a Linux from scratch, so I'm prbably the wrong to ask for a guide. I think you'd better look here.

Thx t0n1 for the modules, may test them later ony my netbook.

greetz, PADMAN

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi PADMAN,

I was trying to get the touchscreen work by using the openwm8650 project until I found your post.
Really interesting and good job!

However I cannot download the image file due to many limitation in the site you have uploaded it.
May you please uploaded it in another file sharing site?

Thank you! evzone

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all

first up thanks for the brilliant work porting debian to the netbook. Most professional and it works really well. I just have one problem I haven't been able to find a solution to. When I load usbserial.ko to drive my FTDI USB to serial adapter I'm getting the error "insmod: error inserting 'usbserial.ko': -1 Invalid parameters". I believe this is quite a generic message. I've downloaded the usbserial.ko and ftdi_sio.ko from post #25 above with the same result (a cmp shows they are the same as the ones in sidv3 anyway).

Any solutions or suggestions or pointers on how to approach the problem would really appreciated - it is driving me nuts.

Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, I've been sent to this thread from here. Essentially I'm trying to use Wicknix' Debian on my tablet, but that one is meant for WM8650 netbooks and so the xorg.conf isn't set for the tablet's input devices. I want to try running Padman's xorg.conf in Wicknix' version, but the file hoster in the first post here isn't letting me download the img. Could anyone maybe put the xorg.conf on pastebin and paste the link here? Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all

first up thanks for the brilliant work porting debian to the netbook. Most professional and it works really well. I just have one problem I haven't been able to find a solution to. When I load usbserial.ko to drive my FTDI USB to serial adapter I'm getting the error "insmod: error inserting 'usbserial.ko': -1 Invalid parameters". I believe this is quite a generic message. I've downloaded the usbserial.ko and ftdi_sio.ko from post #25 above with the same result (a cmp shows they are the same as the ones in sidv3 anyway).

Any solutions or suggestions or pointers on how to approach the problem would really appreciated - it is driving me nuts.

Thanks.
OK - figured it out. The usbserial is included in the kernel, so all I needed to do was insmod ftdi_so.ko and the usb - serial adapter worked.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone happen to have a mirror? It's downloading super slow >_<

EDIT: Nevermind, just let it download overnight. I'm getting the same problem people are speaking of.. I get stuck at the boot screen where the blue bar just freezes on the right side of the loading bar.

M009s Blue LED, no vibration, single touch. I am currently using all the stock uzImage.bin, env and wmt files. The tablet is running on Modroidv11Lite

Any ideas?

·
Registered
81 Posts
how is this on battery?

i was thinking of putting this into a car and i have a computer in that car, and try to somehow run a remote xsession with enlightenment 17 to control the carputer from the front with the midv7 and 12" screen in the back. i could always run a regulated 9v car charger with it i guess, and ethernet patch cable to simplify things.

i had a laptop setup this way before, but i had to sit in the back to turn on movies etc.

this would be kick ass to sit in the front on a remote xsession or vnc and touchscreen for 75 bucks.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.