Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the above combination working, and it allows me to dynamically stream and transcode pretty much any format of video I already have stored on my NAS (which came with a bittorent client so I have many differing formats I have pulled down) to something the PDN can play pretty well. I suspect that some of the minor issues/glitches I have seen are related to the old version of the PSA Android player which I am using. It is still available on the PSA Software (parent company) Web site, BTW. Poking around, I found at PSA Mobile - Stream media player, part of the company's mobile division site, that Version 2.2 of the player is now available as a free app on the Market, but I have yet to install any of the hacks that enable Market so I can't verify this for myself, nor have I found this recent version elsewhere. I've heard so many folks here complain about issues related to Market, I guess I'm reluctant to mess up my current PDN set-up since it is working so well.So anyway, I have a few questions and a request:Questions/request:[list type=decimal][*]Is anyone else trying / succeeding in streaming their own videos to the PDN, and if so, what combination of SW are you using to enable this?[*]For Anyone using VLC, does anyone know of a way to 'on demand' start its playing of a stream from another system (like, say, the PDN)?[*]Also for VLP experts, I would like to set things up so I don't need to specify the exact IP address of the client that will be viewing the stream. The only way I have made things work is to specify in VLC the PDN's IP and a port as the destination for the stream, but I was under the impression you could just sort of broadcast via RTSP and clients could tune in. Not an expert here, obviously.[*]Currently, my setup requires me to start VLC's streaming on my Windows machine, and then switch to the PDN to start viewing it. This precludes me from randomly browsing the available NAS files from the PDN - although I can do that from File Expert since it has SMB support baked in. It would seem that the best setup would be to browse my NAS from the PDN and then kick off VLC on some machine in my network to transcode and stream the selected file. Anyone have any ideas of how this might be done, or alternate ideas for offloading the transcoding and streaming to another machine dynamically?[*]The request part of this is that if anyone else has the PSA player (V2.2) from the Market, can you comment as to its capabilities and - if possible - can you put the .apk for it up somewhere or let me know via PM or here how I can get it? Thanks.[/LIST]BTW, if anyone is interested in how the streaming needs to be set up on VLC so that you can view the output on the PDN, I'd be glad to provide a brief write-up. Just let me know. Wasn't sure if others were already doing this as a matter of course and a detailed explanation would be a waste of time and forum space.

·
Registered
338 Posts
sounds curiosier and curiosier with each and every day -- even without tom3q 2D/3D driver and Android 2.1-2.2.As the better 2D driver will become available I'd be very interested in:1. Android Veetle app;2. Fully HW assisted Flash 10.1 for watching the growing youtube.com/movies library.For both, I might not need my streaming server's help, but do I care? Not.However, this particular development is absolutely incredible for a silly little eReader called PDN, lol

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote name='thedarkbackward;48021]I've been using [URL=http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/multimedia/vlc-stream-convert_ixgb.html]VLC Stream and Convert[/URL] - it plays EVERYTHING I've thrown at it...streams very well over my wireless network. You might need to tweak the stream size to get full screen' date=' but I've found it to be a great piece of software. Just install and run VLC on your home system and that's it for configuration.[/QUOTE'] Looks promising... only issue is it seems to only be available from the Market (see my OP re: not having market...), so.... Any chance you can put the .apk somewhere I can download and install it? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I haven't found a decent uPNP client (yet). I found "uPnPlay" in the market, but so far the supported formats are limited.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Question: Does it matter which port you use? Assuming it's open, are some better than others for picking up the stream?Sent from my slatedroid-pdn using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
BTW, if anyone is interested in how the streaming needs to be set up on VLC so that you can view the output on the PDN, I'd be glad to provide a brief write-up. Just let me know. Wasn't sure if others were already doing this as a matter of course and a detailed explanation would be a waste of time and forum space.[/QUOTE]Thanks. I am interested in this. Maybe put details in the Wiki section? In the meantime, I'll investigate my VLC help options.

·
Registered
846 Posts
[quote name='tadroid;48004]BTW' date=' if anyone is interested in how the streaming needs to be set up on VLC so that you can view the output on the PDN, I'd be glad to provide a brief write-up. Just let me know. Wasn't sure if others were already doing this as a matter of course and a detailed explanation would be a waste of time and forum space.[/QUOTE'] tadroid,I'd be interested.. streaming video is new to em but something I want to pursue.. so please don't feel like you can be "too basic"..

·
Registered
116 Posts
[quote name='tadroid;48052]Looks promising... only issue is it seems to only be available from the Market (see my OP re: not having market...)' date=' so.... Any chance you can put the .apk somewhere I can download and install it? Thanks.[/QUOTE']Ask and ye shall receive!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thedarkbackward;48606 said:
Ask and ye shall receive!
Thanks, thedarkbackward. To others interested in the streaming setup I have found works for me with VLC, I will post later today once I get the time. Glad to know there are others out there interested! Now if I could only figure out a way to select any movie I wanted from my NAS and start it transcoding/streaming from my Windows PC... Or maybe I won't need to if the VLC Stream and Convert app supplied by thedarkbackward doesn't overwhelm my little PDN...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Installed the VLC Stream and Convert app, and it and my PC VLC are obviously communicating over the web interface you need to enable in the PC-side VLC (I know because I can pause and move around in the video and have these actions affect the displayed video on the PC), but I have yet to figure the right options to set to be able to see any video on the PDN.thedarkbackward, can you share how you have your set-up configured? There are a lot of settings options and player modes and very little in the way of help... Maybe there is a support web site/forum somewhere, or if you can share your set-up, that'd be great.

·
Registered
56 Posts
[quote name='tadroid;48748]Installed the VLC Stream and Convert app' date=' and it and my PC VLC are obviously communicating over the web interface you need to enable in the PC-side VLC (I know because I can pause and move around in the video and have these actions affect the displayed video on the PC), but I have yet to figure the right options to set to be able to see any video on the PDN.thedarkbackward, can you share how you have your set-up configured? There are a lot of settings options and player modes and very little in the way of help... Maybe there is a support web site/forum somewhere, or if you can share your set-up, that'd be great.[/QUOTE'] Yea I had that issue too. What you need to do is go to browse and find a video to play then select rstp from the popup. That is it...u can use the menu to setup everything else. I hope that was your problem and not just me being dumb. LOL.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I thought maybe I was really stupid because I couldn't find anything labeled Browse - until I turned the PDN to portrait mode and there it was! Upper right tab which allows you to browse your PCs whole file system. And, if you map a share to a drive letter via the map network drive capability of Windows on the PC, you can even browse stuff on network attached storage. SWEET!I am having trouble getting videos that are 16:9 aspect ratio to display correctly - seems the original aspect ratio is not preserved and everyone is too narrow - or maybe it's just figuring out the right settings. Also, the sound is slightly out of synch with the video most times, and after a while on longer videos, you can get that smeary sort of pixelation occasionally so that you have to pause and then restart the playback so things go back to normal.I have to say, though, this app has real potential. If the author fixes a few things, I'd say this thing might be worth a few bucks at least. It does what I want functionally, and once the glitches are straightened out, it should be pretty amazing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
[quote name='tadroid;48941]I am having trouble getting videos that are 16:9 aspect ratio to display correctly - seems the original aspect ratio is not preserved and everyone is too narrow - or maybe it's just figuring out the right settings. Also' date=' the sound is slightly out of synch with the video most times, and after a while on longer videos, you can get that smeary sort of pixelation occasionally so that you have to pause and then restart the playback so things go back to normal.[/QUOTE']Happy to hear you were able to find everything and get it working too! Also, to have better ratio (for me at least) u need to set the playback portrait video width to 400 or 480 and the landscape video width to 800. That works best for me depending on how aspect ratio is of the original video. Also, what are your Stream rtsp settings?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.