Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ran: 1. mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system 2. cat /system/bin/sh > /system/bin/su 3. chmod 4755 /system/bin/su in the shell.I then installed the superuser.apk and rebooted. I have the icon for superuser in my apps. but when I run setcpu or titanium backup they say that they can't get root. I have verified that /system/bin/su exists and has the correct attributes.Any ideas?

·
Registered
784 Posts
If you rooted properly, you shouldn't need to install the superuser.apk to get setcpu to work. Try uninstalling the superuser.apk and setcpu.apk, shutting down and restarting the PDN, and re-doing the root_novel hack using adbshell and do the adb shell reboot before you do anything else. Unplug the USB and once the PDN comes back from the reboot, reinstall setcpu.apk, either via adb or from the sdcard. Then run setcpu and see if it works. I'm using version 2.0.1 and it works fine. If setcpu works then try reinstalling superuser.apk and running TitaniumBackup.TitaniumBackup is problematic on the PDN. Even after telling TB to go out and download/install its own version of busybox, it gives me the error message: Busybox works but the "su" command does not elevate to ROOT. "whoami" reports whoami: unknown uid 10061 instead of 0. I think your Supervisor Whitelist system app does not work. Please check with your ROM provider.

·
Registered
365 Posts
This is a good chance for me task: why root? I'm rooted on my Motorola Droid for two reasons: (1) I can install modded ROMs, and (2) I can overclock past the native limit of 550MHz on the clock speed. But since the latest firmware on the PDN takes the clock up to 800MHz, the only reason I can see for rooting and modulating clock speed is to underclock (i.e., to conserve battery). Am I missing something?-Matt

·
Registered
365 Posts
[quote name='oozeeh;26663]root only apps' date=' no need to adb when you can terminal emu from within novel. stuff like that. can also get dumps and other logs. pull information from /system etc[/QUOTE'] Oh, I like the terminal emu idea! Hmmm, now you got me curious. Other than apps that set the clock (e.g., SetCPU), what other kinds of apps want root or su access and why? At least, ones I might use on the PDN?Thanks!-Matt

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
[quote name='gadgetrants;26720]Oh' date=' I like the terminal emu idea! Hmmm, now you got me curious. Other than apps that set the clock (e.g., SetCPU), what other kinds of apps want root or su access and why? At least, ones I might use on the PDN?Thanks!-Matt[/QUOTE']Titanium Backup - Self explanatory?Drocap 2 or Shootme - program to take screenshots (I haven't tried this on my Novel yet)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.