Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hi,

I've rooted my Rena, following the procedure suggested somewhere else here (can't find the post anymore...), i.e. through an ADB connection:

1) re-mounting the root file system writable
2) pushing the 'su' executable
3) pushing the Superuser app

I'd like to understand why it was apparently so "simple" to achieve that, as compared to other methods I can read somewhere else, involving the exploitation of holes in the kernel code, like for example this one:

https://github.com/revolutionary/zergRush

As I opened a shell with ADB I already had root privileges, since the beginning. Isn't that enough to do anything else you like?
Can someone help me understand where's the difference? Is the Superuser app doing the real hack?

·
Registered
38 Posts
That might be my RootRena.zip on the 0922 thread, but I cobbled it together and improved on it from various sources.

One click from the tablet is nicer than plugging USB in - Z4root would work for example like that until 0908. But it started getting tricky and rooting didn't stick with 2.3.

You can temporarily make the filesystem writeable from a terminal on the tablet and make changes, but not so simple.

So then there is ADB root access, which can be either full, partial or inoperative on tablets, depending on compilation settings in the kernel. Inoperative means crippled and a root access error message like "...production build"

On Rena, it gives you root, but if you try "adb remount" it fails. So to get read/write access so that changes will stick the firmware needs to be edited to "rootfs... rw" in init.rc before flashing. That's what the rw mod you probably downloaded was, unless you did it yourself using 7Zip - I did a post about that somewhere too.

There may be other tools that work but the one-click USB is the easiest I know of for now.

Due to linux/android security, the only way to get things done with full permissions is to obtain permission temporarily using "su", a binary which is called by SuperUser.apk for a particular program when it asks for root privileges. Personally, I find it all a pain and much prefer the Linux for routers like openwrt which dispense with all that. I mean, on linux code it seems like half the lines are permissions and half the problems permissions related. But it has become authoritarian dogma because for ordinary users it does protect them. I'd be howled out of any self respecting Linux conference, but I just prefer to choose myself if I want to operate as root all the time. Or maybe there is a way, but I haven't figured it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Paulxx,
I've posted somewhere else a question about rooting the new 2.3 FW (http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/24673-rooting-23-with-adb/page__view__findpost__p__263825).
Apart from applying one of the "black-box" methods (install that program, plug USB, click until it works), I'd like to understand a bit more.
Where have you got the "su" executable you provided for rooting the 2.2?
Is it usable on 2.3 as well, even if the underlying kernel version is different (2.6.35.7)?
Is the "su" built (for ARM-v7) from ANY 2.6.35.7 kernel source good?
Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts