Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
UPDATE:
Here's how to get your device rooted.
Step 1) Get the Bin4ry 4.0.X / 4.1.X root script. (Search Google)
Step 2) Get the Imagine drivers from Skytex (as pointed out below, they are *currently* incorrect as of this time... but they will work, simply follow the method below in italics to install them)
Update - Use this driver and these ADB files in the stuff folder, thanks to Kairnage (yet again!) Imagine 7 Driver INF and ADB Files
Step 3) Get the hacked adb Kairnage has supplied, here, (or just use the set from Step 2) and replace the files in the 'stuff' folder with these.
Step 4) Run Bin4ry's script as outlined (from cmd with admin privelages) and use selection 1 --> Normal.

Thanks so much to Kairnage for making this happen, and future thanks for checking out the device IDs to make a driver.

Neither I, nor anyone else but you, is responsible for bricking, data loss, or anything else you do to your device... just throwing that out.

Use Kairnage's Play Installer(for Jelly Bean) to install the Google Play Store.

Good luck!

Okay, since I and others have been on the quest for the root of this device, I figured I'd create a thread, so as not to crowd the others.

I've attempted to use Bin4ry's root script on the device with no success, mainly because of a driver issue. The usb portion of the device is recognized as a rockchip_usb... this is fine. However, to root we also need the ADB driver. The device shows up as IMAGINE under devices, but Windows is unable to find a driver. After going to the Skytex website, I downloaded their driver for the Imagine 7. However, this driver is actually just the Nexus 7 driver, at least from what I can gather reading through the inf. Either way windows will not find it even after telling it to install from the folder, so instead you must click 'have disk' and manually install the inf. Once installed, it will show up as Android Phone>ADB Driver (or similar).

Unfortunately, even after getting to this point I an unable to have Bin4ry's tool recognize the device.
So for the moment I am at a stand-still.
Any insight is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don't know if this reply is at useful for anyone, but just in case: I experienced the exact same driver issues when trying to get ADB to communicate with my Imagine 7.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't know if this reply is at useful for anyone, but just in case: I experienced the exact same driver issues when trying to get ADB to communicate with my Imagine 7.
This leads me to believe that the Drivers Skytex has provided may be faulty, or for the incorrect device (Nexus). Looks like we may be stuck unless remedied, or someone with far more skill than I releases a workable driver set.

·
Registered
7 Posts
From tech support:

"The drivers on our website is only for bootstrap mode. If you are looking for ADB drivers, I would recommend visiting PDAnet to install those drivers."

Might not have a chance to look into that for a day or so.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Those drivers mentioned are for the Skypad Allwinner series. I need the vendor ID when the tablet is connected. If you have the adb drivers installed uninstall them, then connect the tablet. look in device manager and you will see vid_XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.. With that I should be able to fix the adb drivers.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
EDIT 2: Root Successful!
Using the hacked adb in the 'stuff' folder of Bin4ry Root script in conjunction with the drivers from the Skytex website is a success!
(The IDs requested are below)

Those drivers mentioned are for the Skypad Allwinner series. I need the vendor ID when the tablet is connected. If you have the adb drivers installed uninstall them, then connect the tablet. look in device manager and you will see vid_XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.. With that I should be able to fix the adb drivers.
It's got two, located under Hardware ID, in properties>details>hardware id.
They are:

USB\VID_2207&PID_0010&REV_0222&MI_01

and

USB\VID_2207&PID_0010&MI_01

Hope this helps, and thanks again Kairnage!

Edit: Realize now those are matching numbers, with the exception of the revision.
Also what's the proper method of implementing the hacked adb?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
EDIT 2: Root Successful!
Using the hacked adb in the 'stuff' folder of Bin4ry Root script in conjunction with the drivers from the Skytex website is a success!
(The IDs requested are below)

It's got two, located under Hardware ID, in properties>details>hardware id.
They are:

USB\VID_2207&PID_0010&REV_0222&MI_01

and

USB\VID_2207&PID_0010&MI_01

Hope this helps, and thanks again Kairnage!

Edit: Realize now those are matching numbers, with the exception of the revision.
Also what's the proper method of implementing the hacked adb?
Thanks.
I will still try a proper .inf entry.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Try these. Not too sure about the inf entry, the one ID was different so I added it two ways to see if that worked.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Try these. Not too sure about the inf entry, the one ID was different so I added it two ways to see if that worked.
Just used the drivers you provided with the ADB files on a fresh Imagine 7... worked great! Windows even recognizes the inf file as being correct, so a manual install isn't required. I will add these to the first post.
Thank you, yet again... you've been a big help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm on Vista, and as much as folks complained about Vista in the past, never had any real problems with it. That aside...

I just ordered the Imagine 7 and I intend to use this process and update everyone on how it all goes and how the tablet preforms. It'll be my first tablet, so I'm sure I'll have questions, hopefully you smart folks don't mind me asking if/when they pop up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks guys! I gave it a try on my new Imagine 7 and it worked good.
I'm a super newbie on Android, but it was all very clear.

When running the play installer I got a bit of a scare when it rebooted but didn't move past the SkyTex image boot screen. But when I forced it on/off by holding the power button, it came back to life and booted normal. And I was finally able to add a google account to it and download apps from google play.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Where do I place the usb_driver folder on my pc after I extract it from "Imagine ADB Drivers and ADB.zip"?
You just leave it where it is. Go into device manager then power on the Imagine and connect it. If it shows up as an Android device or Unknown, just right click it choose update drivers, then browse to the driver folder you unzipped, then hit next. If it prompts you a warning about the drivers just choose the option to continue the install.

I also posted a new file with a root script included.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You just leave it where it is. Go into device manager then power on the Imagine and connect it. If it shows up as an Android device or Unknown, just right click it choose update drivers, then browse to the driver folder you unzipped, then hit next. If it prompts you a warning about the drivers just choose the option to continue the install.

I also posted a new file with a root script included.
Make sure you have the USB debugging turned on the Android device on otherwise the VID/PID is slightly different and it won't automatically recognize the driver.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks guys, with a lil luck, my tablet will be here Monday and then I can get to work!

I have dialup internet, so I intend to use the WiFi at the local library to download some of the large files I can't on my pc at home. Well, obviously I'll use it for more than that, like games and e-books, etc, but that'll be a big help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you very much for this thread! I received Imagine 7 about two or three weeks ago and I was very disappointed when I found out there was no Google Play on it! Massive Thanks!!

But just like others, I'm also a newbie to both android and root.

So I just want to ask, after I root the device, is there a way to "unroot" it in order to update the software when there's a new firmware coming out from Skytex?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Thank you very much for this thread! I received Imagine 7 about two or three weeks ago and I was very disappointed when I found out there was no Google Play on it! Massive Thanks!!

But just like others, I'm also a newbie to both android and root.

So I just want to ask, after I root the device, is there a way to "unroot" it in order to update the software when there's a new firmware coming out from Skytex?
No need. Although depending on the the update being rooted or not you might have to re-root once it is installed.

Reactions: HelloMyLife
1 - 20 of 39 Posts