Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's very simple to do... Too late tonight to explain how but if you are interested, just let me know and I will write a small how-to tomorrow... Francis

·
Registered
83 Posts
Please explain how. su doesnt work for me, it complains about the suid flag... I would really like to get a swapfile working on this...

·
Registered
164 Posts
its not included in stock rom, but can easily be added. i would do it, but im holding out on development untill i get my hands on the device itself

·
Registered
65 Posts
[quote author=KingDani link=topic=41.msg292#msg292 date=1273841283]at the expense of being tagged as a complete noob , what is Swap exactly?[/quote]I'll share the title, because I don't know what Swap is either. lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
A swap file is a special file that can be used as memory replacement. It allows inactive apps still running to consume less "real" memory.Pierre[quote author=D-Tronic link=topic=41.msg293#msg293 date=1273841588][quote author=KingDani link=topic=41.msg292#msg292 date=1273841283]at the expense of being tagged as a complete noob , what is Swap exactly?[/quote]I'll share the title, because I don't know what Swap is either. lol[/quote]

·
Registered
51 Posts
"swap" is a way of implementing virtual memory, using disk space as extra main memory. If you are familiar with Windows, swap is like pagefile.sys. Unlike Windows, which just uses a file on disk, Linux/Unix/OSX/Android use a special partition of disk -- a whole drive letter of its own, sorta.

·
Registered
56 Posts
that way you would have an OS similar to iphone , with no true multi tasking.also , Anrdoi 2+ always asks for a lot of RAM, like in N1 , they gave it half a gigabyte , so that all programs be able to use whatever RAM they want. that's another erason that i don't think we'll ever see 2.1 on this baby

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here the How-To:-Download this package: http://www.rapidshare.com/files/387342034/eken_tools.zip-Then use the official updated ROM (script folder)-Open android_fs.tgz with 7zip and add the "su" command in system/bin without uncompressing it.-Change update.sh with the one in the package-Put the script folder on SD card and update your firmware a usual-Install superuser.apk-Install connectbot.apk-Put your device in debug mode (Settings/Appplications/Developement/USB debugging)-Start ConnectBot and open a local session-Type su and wait few seconds-A window will popup informing you that su want root:root. Click alway allow...-And voila you have rootLet me if it works...

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
[quote author=KingDani link=topic=41.msg324#msg324 date=1273860311]that way you would have an OS similar to iphone , with no true multi tasking.also , Anrdoi 2+ always asks for a lot of RAM, like in N1 , they gave it half a gigabyte , so that all programs be able to use whatever RAM they want. that's another erason that i don't think we'll ever see 2.1 on this baby[/quote]I'm not sure I get your point?

·
Registered
446 Posts
mind if i add this to my rom???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fell free to use what you need...[quote author=ECOTOX link=topic=41.msg355#msg355 date=1273864927]mind if i add this to my rom???[/quote]

·
Registered
56 Posts
[quote author=Mike link=topic=41.msg348#msg348 date=1273863890][quote author=KingDani link=topic=41.msg324#msg324 date=1273860311]that way you would have an OS similar to iphone , with no true multi tasking.also , Anrdoi 2+ always asks for a lot of RAM, like in N1 , they gave it half a gigabyte , so that all programs be able to use whatever RAM they want. that's another erason that i don't think we'll ever see 2.1 on this baby[/quote]I'm not sure I get your point?[/quote]My bad. I meant not auto closing can be a good thing. Anyway thanks to the OP this device maybe rootd.although my impression was it already is?!?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the detailed explanation, will try and report in upcoming minutes/hours :)Pierre[quote author=zipper_x link=topic=41.msg347#msg347 date=1273863673]Here the How-To:-Download this package: http://www.rapidshare.com/files/387342034/eken_tools.zip-Then use the official updated ROM (script folder)-Open android_fs.tgz with 7zip and add the "su" command in system/bin without uncompressing it.-Change update.sh with the one in the package-Put the script folder on SD card and update your firmware a usual-Install superuser.apk-Install connectbot.apk-Put your device in debug mode (Settings/Appplications/Developement/USB debugging)-Start ConnectBot and open a local session-Type su and wait few seconds-A window will popup informing you that su want root:root. Click alway allow...-And voila you have rootLet me if it works... [/quote]

·
Registered
83 Posts
Superb. Works like a charm. Job #1 Add 256MB Swap to SD Card. Should be plenty
Job #2 Add a few choice root only apps.Job #3 Thank zipper_x for the pointers. Nice job mate.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts