Android Tablets Forum banner

[ROM] ZORFA ICS ROM 0.1

23K views 48 replies 19 participants last post by  omarahum 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi

I don't know if some of you remember my first announce of the ZORFA project, more than 2 months ago. The idea was to create a generic ROM that could be easily adapted for all Zenithink devices: the ZORFA acronym means "Zenithink One ROM For All" (see initial post for additional details). The project hasn't moved very fast since january. The main reason is that I was quite disappointed with the ICS ROMs delivered by Zenithink, so I sticked to Gingerbread ROMs until recently. But I finally switched to ICS thanks to two events:

- The official 20120312/0314 ICS ROM which I consider as both stable and reactive. As many others, I have initially experimented WiFi brutal disconnection with that ROM, but after applying a trick mentioned by I-don't-remember-who (configure your router to use a fixed IP based on MAC address), it happens that WiFi connection is now quite stable (there are still some losses but typically less that one per afternoon which is acceptable).

- The official 1.0.2 release of the "Apex Launcher", which includes most of the features I like to see in a launcher: up to 9 virtual screens with quick navigation through direct screen selection, customizable grid size up to 10x10, easy edition of icons and labels for all apps, customizable double tap, long press or swipe actions, etc. Here again, I stick to the last-but-one version, as the 1.0.3 release of the launcher removes a mandatory feature to me: the ability to hide the ICS search bar at the top of the screen, which is of no use once you have a physical "search" button, as the C91 has. As can be seen on the screenshot below, I use a 9x5 icon grid with forced landscape mode, which fits the 1024x600 screen particularly well.

ZORFA ROM content:
Here are the elements that are currently included in the ROM:

* Official Zenithink 20120312/0314 ROM
* 900MHz overclocking patch by omarahum
* Some tweaks in 'build.prop' (inspired by other custom ROMs)
* Replace standard ICS launcher by 'Apex Launcher 1.0.2'
* Replace standard FileBrowser by 'OI File Manager 1.2'
* Remove some apps from stock ROM:
ES Explorer, GO keyboard, GO weather, QQ, MSN Messenger, some live wallpapers
* Update some apps to current available release:
Google Play Store, Google Maps, Skype, YouTube
* Include some additional apps:
- Alternative markets: GetJar, BlackMart
- File tools: FileExpert, ZArchiver
- Cloud apps: Google Docs, Dropbox, tTorrent
- System apps: Android Assistant, Titanium Backup, Quadrant Advanced
- Audio & Video: MX Player, UPnP Bubble
- Books & Comics: FBReader, Perfect Viewer
- RSS & Podcasts: Google Reader, Pulse, TuneIn Radio
- Social networks: Facebook, Twitter
- Misc tools: WiFi Analyzer, Wikipedia, Google Translate,

ZORFA ROM structure:
As it is intended for several devices, the ROM structure is quite different from the usual official ROM releases. When unzipping the archive, the following file structure is generated on your disk:

- kernel 800MHz # folder containing genuine Zenithink 'ZT280.kernel' files
|-- E0-2n # one folder for each specific device
|-- E7-1f
|-- K0-3n
- kernel 900MHz # folder containing overclocked kernels by omaharum
- system # folder containing 'system.z280.tar.bz' files
|-- E0+E7 # one folder for each screen size/dpi (7" and 10")
|-- G0+H1+H3+J0+K0
- patch # folder containing 'system.patch.tar.bz' files
|-- E0 # one folder for each device family
|-- E7
|-- K0
- zt-update # the standard folder to copy on root of your sdcard
|-- data # folder where users can put all files for 'data' partition
|-- media # folder where users can put all files for 'media' partition
|-- system # folder where users can put all files for 'system' partition
|-- data.z280.tar.bz
|-- media.z280.tar.bz
|-- boot.logo
|-- boot-update.logo

Before flashing, users have to select all files in 'kernel', 'system' and 'patch' subfolders corresponding to their specific device, and group altogether in the standard 'zt-update' folder on their sdcard. Then the flashing process is as usual.

ROADMAP:
0.1 = Alpha release (only for C91)
0.2 = First beta release (should be for all Z280-based Zenithink devices)
Hope to get a better solution to include custom config for ApexLauncher
0.3 = Second beta including modified status bar (additional buttons)

See less See more
Reactions: que es android
#2 ·
Sciroccorics
Some times I read posts like yours and think "I wish I'd payed attention at school, and maybe,just maybe I could have been a little smarter"
Great work you're doing there mate, look forward to your finished project.
Regards Dave T

#4 ·
Good morning my friend, congratulations for the project and especially for the initiative! really praiseworthy attitude!

my humble opinion is to include app for reading comics, 3d chainfire, black market, with superuser Rom routed. another thing I like is that the ROM could play audio during Boot, for when we exchange the animation and root explorer.

and I loved the addition of button that you mentioned! will be great!

Another thing is the possibility of the screen rotate in all directions and the ability to continue to use the widgets original ICS.

thank you very much if you can present us with this Rom.

#6 ·
@sciroccorics

So is the 0.1 ROM going to be just for the C91? Is it going to be for all the ZT-280's? Or is it going to be for all the ZT-280's & ZT-282's?

If it's going to be for more than the C91, maybe I can move it to the Cortex A9/Zenithink Forum?

I'll wait to hear back from you...

#8 ·
Thanks a lot for your support, guys! It's really cool!

So is the 0.1 ROM going to be just for the C91? Is it going to be for all the ZT-280's? Or is it going to be for all the ZT-280's & ZT-282's?
Well, I guess it should be safer to do the things in 2 steps: first, a release for the C91 including some additional APKs suggested here, based on the ROM that I've already tested on my own C91. Just to check that everything works correctly by more intensive beta testing from others...

Then in a second step, I would really like to extend the ROM for other devices. Basically, as the ROM is based on the 0306 ROM, it could be easily adapted for any device that has a 0306 release (I've made the test with the C71, and it works). The problem is that the 0306 ROMs are no longer available at the Zenithink website (I've also checked on your MediaFire file archive without success). I could use the 0312/0313/0314 ROMs, but most people (including me, on the C91) complain about serious WiFi pbs with it. So maybe atp could create a global archive with all 0306 ROMs that I may use. By the way, it would be nice if he could include a kernel/recovery for the Z101 (even if it is no longer supported, as it is quite close to the Z102). I know that you can contact him quite easily, so maybe could you ask him for me, please?

@casseres: It's a good idea to include chainfire3d but I've never used it: is there some specific configuration to perform for the Zenithink tablets to make it work?

#16 ·
So, things are going quite well, the alpha release is almost ready... just some final housecleaning before uploading. However, the ZORFA ROM structure is very different from usual Zenithink ROMs, so I have to provide some HowTo explanation for users. I guess it would be easier if I centralize all the info in the initial post of the topic, so please rewind to the top

#17 ·
@omarahum: Hi! Is there a place where you could put tarball or zip archive including all modified 900MHz kernels for the 0312/0314 ROM release? Thanx in advance...

#18 ·
#21 ·
and sorry to ask again, you have released the audio of the device at boot?
I guess that audio during boot requires recompiling the kernel. The audio device becomes only active after the boot picture/animation (you can here an audio 'click' when the green android character appears). So only available kernel sources could make thinks change on that point.

#44 ·
I agree.. There are so many people on this site that spend a lot of their time doing things to help us all, and I bet they have their own lives to lead away from here.. I for one can't wait for this rom to be available, but til then I'm happy with the Rom and 1ghz kernel til then.

#49 ·
There is no ROM here to download, sciroccorics was working on it when his tablet/touchscreen stopped working.....

Please do not post in this thread till we get an update from sciroccorics. Thank you....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.