Android Tablets Forum banner

[rom] ParanoidAndroid 3+ for Allwinner A31 (SDK 3.2) devices - 2013-07-27 update

47K views 105 replies 31 participants last post by  Christian Troy 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
If you appreciate my work and would like to support me with a small donation you can click on button.
If every happy user of this rom would just donate something I could invest more time in all these Android projects.

Issues and possible workarounds

* This ROM may be a bit more unstable since it's built with more aggressive CFLAGS and a different compiler
* Accelerated video playback is supported by MX Player in HW+/HW mode and pretty much every file will play, try both playback method because it depends on the video codec; I noticed that HD videos plays better in HW+ mode while SD (XviD for example) play better in HW mode. For a better audio support (included DTS playback) have a look here.
* HDMI shows a picture but it doesn't fill the TV screen entirely.
* This is not a broken functionality but a lack of this ROM that can only export one partition through USB Mass Storage, if you wanna access to both memories you should use MTP instead of UMS, only CyanogenMod can export multiple LUNs.
* Probably other things...

Features

* USB GPS support (cp210x and pl2303)
* Xbox 360 gamepad support (xpad)
* PS3 USB gamepad support (hid-sony)
* Generic / chinese (Pantherlord / GreenAsia) gamepads support (hid-pl and hid-gaff)
* OpenVPN support (tun)
* Veno congestion control algorithm
* USB audio
* USB bluetooth (It supports only CSR devices, they can be identified typing "lsusb" from an app like "terminal emulator": the supported device will be present with an entry like "Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0a12:0001" ("0a12:0001" is the supported VID:pID). Do not boot with the bluetooth plugged in; plug it once you booted to android.)

Instructions

* You need TWRP to be able to flash this rom. Read the linked thread for instructions.
* Put rom (pa_spark-$VERSION-$DATE.zip) and gapps (gapps-jb-$DATE-signed.zip) files inside internal or external sdcard.
* Turn on the tablet in recovery mode as explained in TWRP thread.
* If this is your first install select "Factory reset" from "Wipe" menu.
* Flash rom (pa_spark-$VERSION-$DATE.zip), gapps (gapps-jb-$DATE-signed.zip) and, if you're installing this rom on a device that is not the Spark, the required compatibility zip.
* Now select "Reboot".
* Enjoy CyanogenMod 10.1!

Changelog & download links

2013-07-27

* Some changes under the hood: who is using a USB nic try to see if it brings it up automatically and who uses a 3G dongle try it again and if it still fails post a logcat
* Updated upstream sources

ROM (md5sum)
Gapps

Compatibility zips

Only devices with a stock SDK 3.2 firmware can be supported.

* Onda V972 (v1) (v3.2 based) 3.2_rc2
* Onda V972 (v2) (v3.2 based) 3.2_rc2
* Onda V973 (v1) (v3.2 based) 3.2_rc2
* Onda V973 (v2) (v3.2 based) 3.2_rc2
* Onda V811 (v3.2 based) 3.2_rc2
* Onda V812 (v1-v4) (v3.2 based) 3.2_rc2
* Onda V812 (v5) (v3.2 based) 3.2_rc2
* Onda V813 (v3.2 based) 3.2_rc2
* Onda V818 mini (v3.2 based) 3.2_rc2
* Chuwi V99 (v3.2 based) 3.2_rc1
* Mediacom SmartPad 9.7 S4 HD (v3.2 based) 3.2_rc0

"MDPI" devices (those not having a "retina" display) have to flash this zip as well. Since "MDPI" devices are not officially supported from PA team some things might not work properly.

FAQs

* If your devices doesn't have a volume rocker you can install one of these apps to control volume from the notifications: Volume in notification, TrayVolume
* WiFi now can stay enabled with display turned off. Note that if WiFi is enabled the tablet won't enter deep sleep so if you're more interestead in battery life instead of an always on WiFi change policy (on "Advanced" WiFi settings) from "Always" to "Never" and select your preferred WiFi timeout.
* Internal memory is mounted at /storage/sdcard0, external sdcard is mounted at /storage/sdcard1. If you wanna swap them (and make primary your real microsd) just edit "persist.sys.vold.switchexternal=0" to "persist.sys.vold.switchexternal=1" in "/system/build.prop" file

Screenshots

Sources

https://github.com/christiantroy/allwinner_a31

See less See more
#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Old stuff

2013-07-16

* Added USB bluetooth support
* Fixed a typo, try 3G dongles again and report if they're working now

ROM (md5sum)

2013-07-13

* Spark: integrated fix for the zoom issue
* Some changes under the hood
* Added ExFat support

ROM (md5sum)

2013-07-03

* WARNING: before flashing this build you HAVE to flash stock SDK 3.2 using Phoenix Suit and answering "yes" to the format prompt, after that install the new TWRP for SDK 3.2 and proceed. You can do a nandroid backup before flashing with phoenix suit and copy the whole "TWRP" folder from the internal memory to your microsd (or to your PC) if you don't wanna reinstall everything again. In this case restore the backup and after that flash the new zip. If you get any weird trouble do a full wipe.
* Updated proprietary blobs to SDK 3.2

ROM (md5sum)

2013-06-29

* Fixed vibrator

ROM (md5sum)

2013-06-21

* Fixed typo that prevented "init.d" execution (Spark only)
* Added reboot to recovery
* Fixed lockscreen clock font
* Improved video playback compatibility: now MX Player in HW+ mode will play every movie that don't have DTS audio tracks.
* Enabled WebGL
* Some minor changes under the hood

ROM (md5sum)

2013-06-16

* Fixed Spark's touchscreen issues (thanks MadNBG)
* Potential improvement in stock browser's smoothness

ROM (md5sum)

2013-06-12

* First build but ready for being a daily driver.

ROM 2013-06-12 (md5sum)

#8 ·
I will give it a look

#10 ·
No, spark only. It's a kernel issue.

#12 ·
I agree, I really like it

#14 ·
But I'm afraid how such a heavy ROM might perform on our poor sparks.

By the way which version is that? 3+ is fine, but that's a bit too common phrase. Which exact version is that?
Probably no HALO, but I don't see any need for it on a tablet.

But still, good work.

#13 ·
Is there a way to go to the recovery after flashing this rom ?
I don't find the recovery in the settings. And I don't know if it's possible to go to recovery with some button when the tablet starts.

I found this rom interesting for customisation.
But I found it a little slower than repacks. And some bugs are the same than stock/repacks (google drive gives full white document when editing an existing doc for example).

Thanks for all your roms christian, you really give second life to this tablet.

#17 ·
Can you try to flash this zip and tell me if you notice any improvement in stock browser web pages rendering? It looks better to me but I don't wanna be fooled by placebo effect

This is for PA only, if you wanna try it on CM10.1 or AOKP 4.2 take a nandroid backup because it may refuse to boot (or save a copy of the previous libwebcore.so)

Try it because if it works I'll include that change in next ROM updates (all 3 of them)

#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi Christian, if it helps here is a way to zoom in on solutions to browser.good working on official firmware.
/system/usr/idc/gt82x.idc

Code:
<br />
touch.size.calibration = none<br />
#touch.size.scale = 10<br />
#touch.size.bias = 0<br />
#touch.size.isSummed = 0
Code:
<br />
touch.pressure.calibration = none<br />
#touch.pressure.scale = 0.005
replace the existing value to these.
using root explorer, save and reboot.
Sorry if you do not understand use google translator

#26 ·
Nice catch, they really fucked up the touchscreen management, in fact using the calibration it registers multiple touches.

Now I'm going to sleep, later today I'll release a flashable zip to replace that file and maybe build a new set of the 3 roms

#30 ·
Don't.

PA allows dynamic changes of the DPI, per app or global.

#31 ·
2013-06-16

* Fixed Spark's touchscreen issues (thanks MadNBG)
* Potential improvement in stock browser's smoothness

ROM (md5sum)

#35 · (Edited by Moderator)
does it have a sdk 3.0 firmware? if it doesn't, no.

[flame mode on]
but you guys on the v99 had that other developer (that hijacked my 4.1 aosp builds) that promised you to build pretty much everything... as always, I do stuff while people keeps talking
[flame mode off]

#37 ·
Next build should have it working. I know where to look.

#39 ·
So if you are already using the stock spark you should be able to flash it out of the box without any comp zip

#40 ·
Dear Christian Troy!
Can you create a compatibility zip for the Onda v811 Quad Core users if I give you a download link for the SDK3.0? We already have the SDK3.0 update, but I would like to try your great work, I thin it will be better than the stock ROM.
Thank you in advance!

David.

#41 ·
i quote myself from the cm10.1 thread:

right now I'm kinda busy in the real life and I can't do comp zips for every tablet around... tablets with more requests and who donated get it faster
@all

for those of you that can't wait for the next build flash this zip that will enable UMS in tablet UI and will fix clock font in the lockscreen (I've tried various settings and this one seems the bigger that doesn't truncate the clock, if some times are truncated let me know and I'll reduce it a little more)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.