Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok, I have baked up a basic and slightly sloppy modified version of the Eken 1.3.1 release (that they made public on 6/15), with the real marketplace added, bloatware removed (alot of the non-vital software removed), and the standard fixes to improve battery life and to enhance wifi performance. I also incorporated some of the Singularity v3 mods out of that packet. Mad props to Roger and HCH over on his forums for their roms, which gave me a lot of guidance tackling this. For v02b, I dug into Roger's Singularity v4 a bit more and incorporated his wifi fixes into 1.3.1 along with a couple wifi tweaks of my own. Also stripped out more of the junkware (including the wmtWeather app, which was giving all kinds of false reports for US cities on my tablet). The resulting install is about 32mb smaller. I have left Angry Birds largely because it will not install from Marketplace so the apk install is needed and it is handy for testing "by feel."

Still some sloppiness to this, but I am pretty happy with the responsiveness and wifi performance on WEP. This version may or may not help some folks working with WPA. In theory it should but I haven't setup a WPA network to test it.

Starting today work will be kicking my ass for about two months, so this will probably be my last update for awhile. If I get some down time, I do want to play with the wifi settings some more and cleanup some of the other garbage residing in the packages, but lord knows when I will get the time.

This rom is producing some warmth in the one corner (top left portrait / bottom left landscape) and there are some residual artifacts from stripping out useless files (some still have their uninstall options listed in app manager), but overall this build is making me happy. I can play Angry Birds with backgrounds ON, though it is rather choppy and a little laggy. With backgrounds OFF it is smooth as butter. Of course, Netflix player does not work at all.

Reminder: Install customs roms at your own risk. There is a risk of permanently damaging your device when installing ANY custom rom. I offer no warranty or guarantee of any kind. You take full responsibility for anything that happens.

I have installed this on my M009S from the recent Buy-in-Coins deal (blue led, black audio, no vibrate) and it seems to be working flawlessly. Maintains a good fast strong signal with my 802.11-G wifi network over WEP, Angry Birds with backgrounds off is nice and smooth. Camera, Video Camera, and mic all confirmed to work (mic pickup is really poor, very low, but works). Google Marketplace requires the cache clearing / force closing to access full market, but that only needs to be done once and then it is all good.

I don't have a lot of experience working with ROMs and this modification has some sloppy edges (I left a few dead icons and unused items in the davlik cache) but none of those seem to affect performance and can be cleaned up post-install in about 5 minutes.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE DONE BY ATTEMPTS TO INSTALL THIS ROM. I OFFER NO WARRANTY FOR THIS ROM.

Link to DrCheap's M009s modified 1.3.1 rom (v02b): [URL=http://drcheap.net/roms/DrCheap-EkenM009s-v02b]http://drcheap.net/roms/DrCheap-EkenM009s-v02b.zip[/URL]

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE DONE BY ATTEMPTS TO INSTALL THIS ROM. I OFFER NO WARRANTY FOR THIS ROM.

Installation Instructions:

1. Download the .zip file above to your PC computer.
2. Unzip (extract) the file.
3. Prepare your MicroSD card. It must be clean of any other roms or rom bits and must be formatted to FAT-32.
4. Copy the contents of DrCheap-EkenM009s-v01b to the root (top-level or just /) directory of your MicroSD card. You should have two files and a folder: wmt_scriptcmd, z4root_1.3.0.apk, and FirmwareInstall.
5. Close and safely remove the MicroSD card from your PC.
6. Be sure your tablet is OFF and plugged in.
7. Insert the MicroSD card into your tablet.
8. Boot your tablet.
9. If 1-8 were done correctly, it should boot to an update screen instead of the normal OS. It will say that it is updating the FW and take about 5 minutes to do so. You will see some periodic update messages in the middle of the screen and the bottom should read something like PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE MEMORY... There will also be a % completed bar. This all can sit with no activity for a minute or two at points in the process and overall might take about 5 minutes, so be patient.
10. Be patient. Wait until it is completely done.
11. When finished the message on the bottom of the screen will change to Please Remove Media... (or something very similar). ONLY at this point when it instructs you to removed the memory card is the update done. **DO NOT TURN OFF THE DEVICE**
12. With the tablet still on, push in the MicroSD card so that it pops out and gently remove the card from the machine. It *should* then automatically reboot into the new OS.

viola. done.

To get the full market working this is the tweak (credit to Evo-IC's wiki over on slickdeals, which is where I copied these handy directions from):
a. App Market Cache problem and fix
Not all apps (like Pandora) can initially be found. You can fix this problem by clearing the cache (real weird since the ROM does not include any!!!)

1. Open the Market and press the home button to return
2. Go to Settings \ Applications \ Manage \ Running
3. Press "Market"
4. Press "Clear cache" (do not clear data)
5. Press "Force stop"
6. Return to "Settings \ Applications \ Manage \ Running"
7. Press "Google Services Framework"
8. Press "Clear Data"
9. Press "Force Stop"
10. Start Google Market, it must give an error
11. Reboot, once back Market should work, if it gives an error it could need another minute to work
12. Test the access, search Skype on the market, it should return 400+ results including the original Skype and google's apps like maps / streetview / docs and Skype
Should be good to go. Note that the Market link on the desktop when you first boot is garbage -- its a residue of the modifications I made and I just didn't go in and clean it out. Trash that icon (it does nothing) and use the one in your app tray.

If I get some time I will try to make a few more mods and clean this up a bit more, but for now, this rom is serving me quite well. Anyone else who wants to play with this and make additional tweaks or cleanups feel free to have at it. I've got no investment in ownership, just good roms.

Old/outdated version (a bit larger, fewer wifi tinkerings, some more apps left on): http://www.drcheap.net/roms/DrCheap-EkenM009s-v01b.zip [drcheap.net]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dr. Cheap: Did you remove any native android phone stuff from the stock rom?
Yes, I removed the phone.apk -- I think I also took our the telephony providers but can't recall. I know they are gone from the newest build, which I tried to pare down to the bare necessities (took out some more apps and the wmt weather widget / app, as it was giving bogus info on some US cities). I'll update the top post with a link to version 02b.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The reason I asked is that I want to be able to run GrooveIP, which should allow the tablet to be used like a phone over wifi through google voice. It doesn't work on my tablet running singularity. Do you think I could install the phone.apk back in without reinstalling the system? Maybe I'll try that. Where would I find the phone.apk file?

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm using 02.b version and this are the things i like:

- wifi works good out-of-the-box (uberoid had problems with wifi disconnect... with router in the same room!)

- full market works good out-of-the-box (unlike singularity, where I always have to edit build.prop etc)

things not working good:

- gmail is constantly crashing after I added a second account. I removed it but still crashing.

Other than that, good ROM. I just don't like titatnium backup running all the time, so I ended up uninstalling it

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm using 02.b version and this are the things i like:

- wifi works good out-of-the-box (uberoid had problems with wifi disconnect... with router in the same room!)

- full market works good out-of-the-box (unlike singularity, where I always have to edit build.prop etc)

things not working good:

- gmail is constantly crashing after I added a second account. I removed it but still crashing.

Other than that, good ROM. I just don't like titatnium backup running all the time, so I ended up uninstalling it
Using drcheap's v2b also, with no problems with gmail. I'd reflash if I were you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.