Android Tablets Forum banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Lefeu, I changed the framework folder with one from an older a7ht 2.1 image and now font size is ok, but it doesn't feela s fast as with the framework folder on your version. Any idea?

Also, I fixed the Browser not saving to internal memory issue. I changed sdcard folder on boot.img for a symlink to /flash/sdcard -like in original a7ht firmware-, and changed in init.rk28board.rc :

mkdir /sdcard 0000 system system

for
mkdir /flash/sdcard 0000 system system

This also makes last Aldiko version on Market work ok on a7ht without sdcard, but it still have issues with text hidden by the soft buttons bar :/ Will try to get one of the Aldiko 2.0 versions for Archos 70 or 101 devices to see if that works ok.

EDIT: seems like framework also affects on the work of fixing browser saving to internal memory. Weird. I need to understand better how all the framework stuff works.

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Hi,

Update 2.1.6 :

New boot animation
Rooted (Superuser)
New Helix Launcher
New transparent Lockscreen (red Édition)
Finish Red Theme (news icones in statut bar,ect)
Change Color Back, Menu, Return, Vol +, Vol- (red Édition)
News icons in Sub-menu (red Édition)

writable system partition mounted to /data (aufs)
lowmemorykiller tweaks (minfree for more aggressive background task killing)
addition of compatible cifs.ko in /system/lib/modules to mounting
(thank to xaueious)

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Lefeu, I changed the framework folder with one from an older a7ht 2.1 image and now font size is ok, but it doesn't feela s fast as with the framework folder on your version. Any idea?

Also, I fixed the Browser not saving to internal memory issue. I changed sdcard folder on boot.img for a symlink to /flash/sdcard -like in original a7ht firmware-, and changed in init.rk28board.rc :

mkdir /sdcard 0000 system system

for
mkdir /flash/sdcard 0000 system system

This also makes last Aldiko version on Market work ok on a7ht without sdcard, but it still have issues with text hidden by the soft buttons bar :/ Will try to get one of the Aldiko 2.0 versions for Archos 70 or 101 devices to see if that works ok.

EDIT: seems like framework also affects on the work of fixing browser saving to internal memory. Weird. I need to understand better how all the framework stuff works.
I am sorry but the memory configuration for Archos is different, I do not know how to solve your problem with the SD !

I struggle to understand what concerns with the framework

EDIT :I answered on Archosfan

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,

Wouah

Eclair 2.1 on your Rocktab

Update 2.1.6 will be the last release, the video had no way out!

Proc�dure to flash :

I installed both images for 2.1.6 Island and Red today. I like them both the same. Wish there was a way to watch youtube videos on it, but I guess that would be the No Video you explained. Thanks for all you have done for Rocktab!

No video work

[ROM] Eclair 2.1.6 internal memory 315Mo with rotation 360° (original appearance) :

http://www.4shared.com/file/szhnXHqu/Rocktab_Eclair216img.html

Credit to xaueious firmware RK2818 :

http://www.androidta...om-xt0-1-a.html

The forum and myself will not be held responsible for mishandling (BRICK)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had to go back to Cupcake.
I don't know if this fw is too much for my RockTab but I couldn't get more than one reboot before I had to do a full system restore. Would get stuck in the loading animation.
Also, I would get a random pop up when loading asking for screen calibration. I expected it on the initial install, but this wasn't everytime or even every other time. No pattern to it. Not sure if it had anything to do with the boot up problem, but thought I'd toss that out there.
I liked the fw but the constant having to reload apps wasn't appealing.
Thanks again for your work and I look forward to seeing what all this tablet can do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had to go back to Cupcake.
I don't know if this fw is too much for my RockTab but I couldn't get more than one reboot before I had to do a full system restore. Would get stuck in the loading animation.
Also, I would get a random pop up when loading asking for screen calibration. I expected it on the initial install, but this wasn't everytime or even every other time. No pattern to it. Not sure if it had anything to do with the boot up problem, but thought I'd toss that out there.
I liked the fw but the constant having to reload apps wasn't appealing.
Thanks again for your work and I look forward to seeing what all this tablet can do.
I'm finding the same, both with this FW and the Steel FW as well..to the devs, great job though, wouldn't mind learning more about developing android for the rocktab myself..anyone keen to point me in the right direction? What language do you work in primary (my guess would be C, or a derivative of C)?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hello Slatedroid members, I just have to bump this topic for my question, sorry...

I've bought Rocktab a while ago, the tablet works fine, but my HTC HD2 on Android made me take a look again...
The Rocktab is still on 1.5 of Android and I'd like to go to at least 1.6 so I can find some better apps on the market. I don't care for video or youtube, I've only used my Rocktab for pdf and epub files and some music. Reading the PDF files is a mess on 1.5, there is no good PDF reader (like Adobe reader on 2.1+) and that's why I started to think on updating my device.

So let's start from the beginning:
I got my Rocktab shut down, and started it with the volume+ button, everything turns out ok, got into the system recovery utility on the Rocktab. Then I connect the USB cable to it, windows 7 (32 bit) starts installing the drivers automatically. It finds "Rocktab drivers" and TR710 drivers. It installs them automatically, so I can't fix this. I've tried uninstalling the drivers and installing the RK28USB drivers, but when I connect the Rocktab again it just grabs the Rocktab drivers and not the RK28USB drivers. I do think the problem is the drivers so I've placed the 32bit windows 7 rk28usb.sys file manually in the Windows/System32/Drivers folder. Didn't work out either.

When I connect my Rocktab to upgrade it recognizes the device, after that I select the firmware and click on "update". The Rocktab just keeps showing the recovery menu and there is no bar under the phone logo. The logo on the back is like this:

After clicking on "update" this is what I get: (mostly after 22 or 23 seconds)

I hope someone can help me with this problem, I'd love to see my Rocktab go to 2.1 (and I just love to play around with different firmware versions
) instead of this 1.5 firmware... Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hello there, thanks for the reply. I got into the mp4nation with my problem, since I bought the player there, I found this topic some posted the same question (and since you are the author of this firmware, thought maybe you or someone else here could help me out..)
Here is the reply I gave on mp4nation:

Ok, I got everything working, the Rocktab now runs 2.1.6... But it took me 2 days, so I just post here what I did instead someone has the same problem:

Got these errors during my tries:
Invalid firmware image:
Found a invalid firmware image file/sdcard/update,img, Would you like to delete it?

SDCARD update:

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command
=== UPDATE ===
Finding and checking firmware...
E:Not support firmware

uDisk update:

=== UPDATE ===
Finding and checking firmware...
E:Can't open /flash/update.img

What I did to fix it:
Got my old laptop and got XP running once again (I think a virtual pc or box or maybe even windows 7 would work fine too, looking back on what happened).
I did not take any picture so I can't remember all the errors and so on... so I just write what I did.

Got the Rocktab into recovery mode, connected the USB on Windows XP machine (no network connection so no connection to windows update for drivers etc).
The XP machine detected a "TR710" device, but could not install the drivers. Pointing the machine to the RK28 xp 32bit drivers did not work, error: "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware.".
Windows also detected the Rocktab as a Disk drive, 2 times.
Well after that I tried a lot of things, deleted the USB drivers (as posted by RedMax), SD update (and the other methods by WarriorsPoets), delete drivers on XP, updating drivers, nothing worked. The player got recognized by Windows a couple of times, but not with the right drivers, so RKAndroid DM did not recognize it as a RK28 tablet, tried for 23 seconds and gave the old school error.

I got a little mad on the machine and thought, ow well, nothing to loose (some euro's I know...) let's try this the hard way:

Deleted all the USB drivers on XP. Got back into the recovery mode once again, did the "system recover" and connected the Rocktab to my XP machine. It recognized a new player, pointed it to the RK28 drivers and it FINALLY installed the drivers. After installing, got to RKAndroid and updated to firmware 2.1.6. Took 3 minutes and it got updated. FINALLY had everything working. Had to use the reset button since windows told it was updated, but the player did not want to reboot. After the reset, took 4 minutes, android 2.1 got started!

Tried a couple of things after that (like Angry Birds, which made the Rocktab angry enough to do a factory reset...) and my PDF reader. Eventually deleted the launcher and got LauncherPro with Opera. Everything works the way I wanted it to work now. It reads PDF's pretty good for 600mhz :).

Don't know which 1.5 firmware was on the player, but windows never recognized it as a C901... Always as a Rocktab and that made it pretty hard to update the player. Anyway, thanks all for the help, I'm a happy Rocktab user :). Hope this info will help anyone in the future with the same problem. That was some though firmware on that little tablet...

Merci lefeudedieu for this firmware, it runs like a charm for me! (and looks great too) Shame about the video (QQ player does play some video on 15 fps) but I did not use my Rocktab for videoplaying anyway :).

61 - 71 of 71 Posts