Crystal Clear v2.0 by fuser-invent
--- Hybrid ROM Based on Official Stock 1212 Firmware and CM10 ---
If you have a Ainol Hero, check out my new ROM Anti-Hero here.
What is this ROM?
This is a totally stripped down version of the Official Stock 1212 Firmware and some elements of CM10.
Development of this ROM was born out of my curiosity with the Android platform and my drive to fix many of the problems I was having with my Ainol Crystal tablet. I started learning from scratch in December of 2012 and released the first Beta version between Christmas and New Years. This is essentially a repack/kang/hybrid or whatever you want to call it. The core of ROM is the official firmware but I and my team have baked in a lot of fixes/tweaks/mods.
I am not a real developer, just an amateur who learns very quickly. I used to know C++ pretty well about 14 years ago when I was a teenager but have subsequently forgotten almost all of it and I haven't done much coding since with the exception of some website maintenance. With that in mind and the fact that the purpose of this ROM is to keep things light and smooth and mostly bug free, know that I'm not going to add a lot of things back in that I've taken out. Christian Troy's CyanogenMod and Paranoid Android ports are great and probably have anything that you can't find in my ROM.
Thanks to Soulflier, Christian Troy and Fards for all their hard work and getting me started. I wouldn't have been able to make my edits and changes without looking at their work or using their scripts to sign/unpack/re-pack/decompile/compile stuff.
Thanks to tigger-gg for the compatibility zips, extra languages, private beta testing, having someone to bounce ideas off of and just being an awesome person.
Thanks to pierwiastekz2 for early troubleshooting, researching and getting me on the road to developing this ROM as well as the awesome boot animation and default wallpaper designs.
Also thanks to everyone in the community who has found and posted fixes/mods/tweaks in the forums and have made a donation.
The current Crystal Clear ROM team is:
If you'd like to join the team please send me a PM.
- fuser-invent - Development & Beta Testing
- tigger-gg - Development & Beta Testing
- ant-uk - Development (makes Cranked Hero ROM now)
- DaNish AsHraf - Development (makes Juniper ROM's now)
- pierwiastekz2 - Beta Testing & Graphic Design
- carnby - Beta Testing & Troubleshooting
If you want to develop addons/mods/tweaks/etc. check out this thread and get started. I started with almost no knowledge about Android Mod's and a month later here we are!
I hope you end up enjoying the speed, usability and versatility of this ROM. Please take a minute to leave a comment or hit the thank you button and let me know how you like it.
Before you flash...
Please read everything and don't ask questions that are already answered in these posts unless you are absolutely stuck. Every question that is asked that is already answered here just takes more time away from actual firmware development and improving this ROM.
All the usually warnings about not being responsible for what you do with your device and what my ROM might do to your device apply.
- Use the TWRP recovery built by Christian Troy and read his TWRP thread carefully. Anything you flash must be flashed from one of these recoveries. Batch 3 user's with the chengen.tan kernel must use the special batch 3 TWRP recovery and there is no flashable version of it, see the downloads section for more info. Extract the "uImage_recovery" file and place it on your external SD card to boot into TWRP instead of the stock recovery.
- If you have been experiences frequent crashes, forced closed apps or services, lag, etc. then flash the ainol_format_internal_memory.zip to clean your NAND. Don't use this zip if you have a chengen.tan kernel Crystal.
- If you are coming from another ROM you might want to flash the ainol_factory_reset.zip which is basically the same as selecting wipe data / factory reset in the stock recovery. This is unconfirmed to work on the chengen.tan kernel Crystal, I would suggest if you want to do a factory reset to do it in the stock recovery instead.
- Flash the Crystal Clear ROM package first.
- Flash the Compatibility for your Batch. If you don't know your Batch, check out the Compatibility Trace thread. There are two primary kinds of Batch 3 Crystal's, the first has a grady.wang kernel and is really just a Batch 2. The second has a chengen.tan kernel and is the real Batch 3. Of the chengen.tan kernel Crystal's there are three versions, the first one that is just labeled batch 3, the second has a screen glitch and require the batch 3 screen fix comp zip and the third has a different camera and requires the camera fix comp zip. See this thread for more info.
- Flash the Additional Apps package if you want to.
- Flash the SD card switcher if you want to.
- Reboot - The first boot can take a minute or two so be patient.
NOTE: If you have a Quad Core Crystal tablet you can not flash any Dual Core ROM"s to it!!! They started being released in 2013 and have the letter Q in the serial number / build date. You will brick your device, the Quad Core forums are here.
You can access the folder with Crystal Clear v2.0 and the new Compatibility Zips here.
You can access the folder with all the older Crystal Clear files directly here.
I will be added mirrors soon thanks to mp4 and Android Tablet Firmware's website.
Flashable and non-flashable CWM and TWRP files are located here. Alternatively you can extract the files and just place them on your external SD card if you don't want to overwrite the stock recovery on your NAND partition. You can't flash TWRP to a Batch 3. You can extract the "uImage_recovery" file from the Batch 3 TWRP .rar in the "non-flashable" folder and place it on your external SD card. It needs to stay there to be able to use TWRP and flash CWM/TWRP based zip files.
Below are explanations of the zip files.
Crystal Clear ROM
The ROM package now also contains a light version of the Google Apps package. The full version that works with CM10 will also work with this ROM.
You need know which Batch Crystal you have and flash the correct zip. Flashing the wrong zip could brick your Crystal if you flash the Batch 2 <-> Batch 3 zips to wrong device. Batch 1 <-> Batch 2 zips flashed to the wrong device will mean the g-sensor, camera and wifi won't work. If you are using Crystal Clear v2.0 you should use the v2.0 comp zips, if you are using any older version of Crystal Clear then use the newest release comp zip for your batch, ex. v1.X.X.
SD Card Swap Zips
You can use your external card as your internal card or swap it back to normal. This replaces the vold.stab file that tells the tablet where to mount the sd cards. Batch 3 Crystal's have a special SD Card swap zip because they use Christian Troy's Batch 3 Kernel.
Christian Troy's - Internal Memory Format Zip and Factory Reset Zip
The internal memory format zip will format your NAND, so use it at your own risk. The Factory Reset Zip acts like the stock wipe data / factory reset option. Do not use with Batch 3 Crystals.
Re-enable Data // 3G // Ethernet
These options are turned off my default because they kill the battery, cause lags and decrease overall performance. I understand though that some people can only access the internet through a 3G dongle. So to turn these functions back on, flash this zip.
Additional Apps Package
Installs to data/app for easy uninstall or market update. Some apps aren't on the market because they are modded or XDA editions. Includes:
- Amazon App Store
- AnTuTu Benchmark
- BetterBatteryStats - XDA Edition
- Firefox Web Browser
- Humble Indie Bundle Beta
- CPU Stats - JP Takke
- LMT (Use the PIE navigation from PA3 and CM10.1 on any ROM)
- Market Helper (Temporarily make your device appear as if it is another device or from another region to download more apps in Google Play)
- Quadrant Standard Edition
Credit where credit is due
This ROM is rooted by SuperSU v1.25
Although this ROM does not actually contain any of the these packages, it does contain init.d scripting ideas from the following: