Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
[ROM - 5.3] ALPHA DIRTY-BEAN 4.1.X - Team DRH (Update 08/23/12)

This ROM is 100% the work of teamDRH. I'm posting this thread to help Hannspad users install it but I have nothing to do with the development. All your thanks should go to fosser2 and TeamDRH. They've put a lot of work into this rom. Go over to the original thread if you want to show your appreciation: teamDRH JB thread and donate to the cause here: DONATE TO TEAMDRH

DISCLAIMER : I hold no responsibility for breaking your Hannspad should something go wrong.

Now the fun part! Here's the download link:

Latest version v5.3 - updated 23/08/2012
TeamDRH DIRTY BEAN ALPHA

How to install:

The APX / NVflash bit:

Don't skip this step unless you are 100% positive that you have a 350M system partition

Download the following zip which contains APX drivers and NV_flash partitions for setting up your tablet ready for Jelly Bean:
Hannspad JB Partitions

1 : Once you unzip the file you'll see the nvflash files along with a folder containing the drivers needed for your (windows) pc to communicate with the Hannspad.
2 : Boot tablet into APX mode by holding volume down and power for about 6 seconds. The screen will go black but the power light will remain green.
3 : Plug tablet into computer. If you haven't previously installed the apx drivers then windows will prompt you to locate the required files. Navigate to the 'APX USB' folder from the folder you unzipped in step 1. The drivers will install.
4 : Double click the Hannspad_350_cwm6.bat file. This will install the partition structure needed for Jelly Bean to boot.
5 : Power off the Hannspad.

More information about the preparation process here: NVflash prep thread

The ROM flashing bit:

1 : Turn tablet back on whilst holding vol+ button. The tablet will boot into CWM recovery.
2 : Partition Internal SD Card (2048M/0)
3 : Enable USB connection by scrolling down the list of options and selecting 'mounts and storage' followed by 'mount USB storage' at the bottom of the list. Now copy the teamDRH JB ROM onto the internal/external sdcard.
4 : Flash the ROM zip that was copied over.
5 : Flash a Hannspad kernel of your choice. See the second post for kernel recommendations. Flash the kernels by rebooting into recovery mode (vol+ whilst powering on) and using the update option. After updating, make sure you go to the advanced settings and wipe the dalvik cache.
6 : Reboot and enjoy the JB yumminess.

Tweaks

Change your dalvik cache heapsize
Use a root explorer app or build.prop editor to change your dalvik cache heapsize. The current JB alpha has a default heapsize of 256mb. Setting that value to 96mb or 128mb will help with slowdowns and jittery performance.

Change the SD card read ahead value
Setting the SD read ahead value to 512mb rather than then default 2048mb improves the read speed considerably. The only problem is making the value stick when you reboot. I've used an app called 'system tuner' to change the read ahead value but can't get that to stick on restart. Another option would be running a script on boot. Hopefully someone will find a better solution (or the change will be seen in future teamdrh update).

Use a launcher other than the default one
I love Apex launcher but there are other good launchers available for free.

Avoid Flash if you can
Flash is evil. Be ready for browser lock ups and slowdowns should you decide to install it.

Problems

This is an alpha rom and there will be issues. In my experience, these are minor and the rom is very usable day to day.

Sleep of Death (SOD)
I don't think the SOD problem affects many people so you're unlucky if you suffer from it. A SOD is a situation where your tablet screen will no longer wakeup and the only way to restart it is to use the reset button on the back of the device. I suffer from the SOD problem but have dealt with it by installing 'Wake Lock' from the play store (it's free). You won't see a SOD if you use it but, due to the app preventing the tablet from entering deep sleep, your battery will drain quicker.

Kernel Issues
The kernel development in the Hannspad community has been fantastic over the last few months and there are plenty of kernels around. All the kernels were developed pre-JB so there may be a few minor issues.

Web Browser
For me, the stock browser and Chrome are pretty awful to use. Random freezes and pauses along with low memory problems. I would strongly suggest people download a third party browser from the Play store. I've just started using the Dolphin Engine BETA and so far it's been impressively fast, stable and smooth.

Please let me know if you have more ideas to add to this post, especially if my instructions are at all misleading or plain wrong.

This is an alpha release so make sure you share any tweaks you might find! We all love a bit of performance tweaking.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
KERNEL recommendations for use with JB :

Try one of these kernels first:
Graveen JB Kernel v1.2b - A kernel based on wolfmod 2.7 but with fixes for Jelly Bean. This is my currently preferred kernel. Fast and smooth.
Graveen JB Kernel v1.2 - A kernel based on wolfmod 2.9 but with fixes for Jelly Bean.

Discussion thread: http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/38084-jb-kernel-for-teamdrh-53-alpha-rom/

Alternative Kernels:
Wolfmod 2.7 Kernel - Performance seems good but automatic rotation is flipped 180 degrees (don't try it with a hangover
) .

elephantsoup suggests using 0 degrees rotation solves the 180 issue.
developerbuzz suggests using Ultimate Rotation Control to fix the rotation issue.

Wolfmod 2.9 Kernel - Works well but has similar issues to v2.7

LET ME KNOW YOUR FINDINGS AND I'LL ADD THE INFO HERE.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks Andy,

Working a treat..

Using Wolfmod 2.7 Kernel I set my rotation enabled at 0 degrees

dalvik cache heapsize at 96m.. no problems so far.

I also am an apex launcher user .. great launcher.

Only issue so far is no move app to sd option.. any suggestions?

·
Registered
187 Posts
As i stated here a few time ago, the BCT for the gTablet is leading to troubles with some games on SN10T1.

Also, the initial partition layout is a bit different (although it seems safe to run without it).

I have not uploaded the full nvflashable image, but you can simply use the .bct in the XDA thread with a 350mB data partition.

Hint: check if you have the toruble in simply running Cloud'n sheep. In-game clouds are blackboxes instead.

Also, proper BCT keeps buttons in correct order, and of course is working with JB ROM.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Andy,
it is just a little sentence, but I had some trouble finding how to do it: 3 : Enable USB connection and copy the teamDRH JB ROM onto the internal/external sdcard

I think it would be helpful to point out that this option is on the bottom of the screen and only becomes visible when you scroll down.

kind regards

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, I've tried this rom out but I would recommend renaming it EyeCandy instead of Dirty-Bean. The Hannspad is not designed for Jelly Bean because of the limitation of the RAM.
Its a good job form TEAM DRH after all

·
Registered
7 Posts
As i stated here a few time ago, the BCT for the gTablet is leading to troubles with some games on SN10T1.

Also, the initial partition layout is a bit different (although it seems safe to run without it).

I have not uploaded the full nvflashable image, but you can simply use the .bct in the XDA thread with a 350mB data partition.

Hint: check if you have the toruble in simply running Cloud'n sheep. In-game clouds are blackboxes instead.

Also, proper BCT keeps buttons in correct order, and of course is working with JB ROM.
Had a read through the link but it does not seem noob friendly. I too have the random black sprites issue on things like Angry Gran, Plants V Zombies and occasionally Jetpack Joyride.

Any chance you could write a handy and noob friendly step by step?

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Well, I've tried this rom out but I would recommend renaming it EyeCandy instead of Dirty-Bean. The Hannspad is not designed for Jelly Bean because of the limitation of the RAM.
Its a good job form TEAM DRH after all
I'm not entirely sure whether you're saying JB is performing better than ICS or if you're just giving up on your pad due to the lower memory. Hmmm.

We are indeed restricted by only having 512mb of ram but teamDRH have done some fantastic tweaking with this rom. There's also tweaks that will help performance. I find dirty-bean to be very usable day to day.

·
Registered
187 Posts
@Moose2000

For sure. I have all the stock image with latest recovery and full BCT working here, i'll upload somewhere. I think this is the most hannspad-compliant set, many of them are coming from g-tablet. My custom full APX flash set is stock rom with latest recovery and 350Mb /system partition. Tutorial inc when zip'll be ready

@Andy:

Yes, not everyone got the problem. My 1653 got 2 finally - i'm technically correct on Android, installing teaking roms, coding for this system - recurring issues:
- the black boxes (in cloud'n sheep, captain america, globally, approx. 25% of the games i bought/installed)
- the SOD

The only kernel that fixes SOD is hybridkernel v3.
For the boxes, when i tryed to troubleshoot them, on a FR forum, an user got 3x 1633 tablets, and although he was upgrading them in a same way, he ends up in this trouble on only one tablet.

By the way, as the BCT have a different behaviour on some tabs, i think it drives the hardware better than a common g-tab one, there can be issues we are not able to see. An additionnal behaviour in Anomaly HD: the display freezes and jitter - while the game still run (i heard comments, orders...) -> this is fixed with the original BCT.

Feedback: WM kernel 2.9 is working flawlessly for me, and TY Andy for this thread
I'm sticked to CM7/smb_a1002 rom, which is for me the best (reliability/speed); but i miss ics/jb features
)

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
I've managed to create a nv_flash package with the hanns.bct, the 350mb system partition and the newest teamDRH CWM recovery. I've kept the newest CWM in there because it's the only recovery that will wipe the new cache folders in JB (they're in a different location).

I'm going to double check everything works and then upload it somewhere. Once we know it's all ok I'll update the original post.

EDIT: It all seems to work well. Latest CWM, 350mb system partition, Hannspad bct, Hannspad partition order and g-tab sequential positions.

Thanks for all the useful info Graveen.

Ahhh, I also need to update the kernel post with v2.9. Has anyone found that any other kernels are worth trying?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Here is the full stock image, with recovery: http://www.mediafire.com/?piyhg3h56ml15uu

- Download and unzip with 7-zip
- Connect your tablet to USB and boot into APX mode (a black screen, POWER + Volume minus. Can be POWER + Volume plus if you already nvflashed g-tablet related stuff)
- the drivers are included, so you must install them if your tablet is not detected as Nvidia Harmony
- double click on Hannsflash_cwm6601.cmd
- press space after the disclaimer
- wait until flashed approx time 3/4 minutes (very approx... can be 3 or 6 mins
) (this is verbose on the screen, and your tablet is now displaying APX mode etc...)
- press space when it's done

Reboot or start in recovery (POWER + Volume plus).
Here you can see cloud'n sheep is working.
Note CWM6601 does not seem to allow you to mount USB sdcard after partitionning (at least i noticed it, but i have not rebooted to confirm this is really an issue), so use DroidExplorer or start on Tap'n Tap and use file explorer / usb mount - what ever you like - to put TeamDRH roms & WM kernel on your SDcard.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.