Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi all,

I decided to have a go a making my own custom firmware for the Ployer Momo8 IPS with the following goals.

Objectives

• Pre-rooted.
  • Removal of pre-installed Chinese apps.
  • Removal of bloatware.
  • Extend /data partition.
  • Make it a "Google Experience" device.
  • ClockWorkMod Recovery (for donors)

I think I've been fairly successful. My firmware includes Android 4.1.2 features and even some Android 4.2 features. Until someone succesfully ports Cyanogenmod to the Ployer Momo8 IPS or Ployer release a 4.2.x update then my firmware is the most complete "Google Experience" you'll find for the device.

Downloads

You can find downloads, full change log, FAQs, instructions and more from my blog.

Kernel source for RK3066 tablets can be found below, although I use the pre-built kernel provide in the Official Ployer firmware.

Updates

More detailed changes are available on my blog.

New builds available.

June 13th 2013
  • Update SuperSU to 1.32.
  • Fixed Google+ force closing.

May 29th 2013
  • Builds now available based on both Official Ployer MOMO8(IPS)-4.1.1-Firmware-20130325 and Official Ployer MOMO8(IPS)-4.1.1-Firmware-20121120.
  • Removed the framework patches as they introduced other compatibility problems.
  • Updated system apps.
  • ...and more.

May 17th 2013
  • Stability and compatibility improvements.
  • Adds new products/services announced at Google I/O including updated Play Store, Play Books, Play Services and Hangouts.
  • 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz WiFi Transmit Power tweaks.
  • ...and more.

May 9th 2013
  • Based on Official Ployer MOMO8(IPS)-4.1.1-Firmware-20130325
  • Integrate Nova Launcher
  • STOCK and CWM Recovery versions available
  • ...and more.

March 22nd 2013
  • Based on Official Ployer MOMO8(IPS)-4.1.1-Firmware-20121120
  • Chinese app and bloatware removed
  • Pre-rooted with SuperSU
  • ClockWorkMod Recovery integrated
  • Integrated some features from Android 4.1.2 and Android 4.2
  • ...and more.

Donations

Please consider donating to this project. It is nice to have the effort I've put into this custom firmware recognised. Donors will be given access to a version of the custom firmware with ClockWorkMod Recovery integrated. I don't ask for much, it is at your discretion, but just think how happy I'll look when I am sipping the beer you bought me

Why is the ClockWorkMod Recovery version only available to donors? Several reasons:
  • The CWM version is not a "must have", it's a "nice to have".
  • When STOCK and CWM ROMs were available, most people downloaded both. This uses lots of bandwidth that I pay for.
  • People kind enough to donate get something in return and I get a beer.

I hope that sounds fair to you? Please consider donating, even if you don't want the CMW version.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Great stuff! Didn't get much take up in my thread suggesting developing a CyanogenMod/AOSP version for the Momo. You not able to provide a .zip for installing via CWM (which I already have installed). Having to use windows for such tasks is..well..for a Linux user, a bit of an insult! Will test this over the weekend, hopefull it will resolve the wifi issues that plagues 4.1.1!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Acesabe - I'm a Linux user myself. Hated having to sod about with Windows drivers to flash the firmware. I would like to make a flashable CWM .zip but I won't have the time to do that for at least 3 weeks :-(

·
Registered
104 Posts
Good work with this:) I'd be interested in feedback re WiFi performance on your build? Is stability improved over stock?

Regards

Chris

·
Registered
56 Posts
Quick bit of feedback after a day or so of usage, I am liking it so far, big plus: menu button no longer hidden top left, but bottom central, overall performance seems fine so far, wifi I think is gonna be the same unfortunately, until we get official 4.1.2/4.2.x release. Another nice surprise (for UK peeps) is 4od works with stock browser, so that's a plus for those stuck with the rubbish 4od app (that doesn't support rooted devices). App choice is ok, File Wrangler seemed good at first, but not being to simply click and open a simple text file is a bit of a fail! ES File Explorer back in! User Manager is another potentially useful feature, however at it a tad confusing to use, and a bit buggy (some apps f/c etc. when 'logged in' as other user), no easy way to see which user you are currently on other than long press power button.

Install process was ok (although instructions indicate CWM installed is a pre-requisite) after initial install, the internal 'SD storage' required re-formatting before it could be read..

I'd be interested as to why you don't support build.prop mods?

Good job, roll on next build and .zip install via recovery (if I can help at all - hit me up!)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding Wifi - I've seen an improvement over the original firmware. I'm able to connect to some public Wifi hotspots that were not previously usable. While at home I can stream 720p video via DLNA (Skifta) to MX Player without issue. I can also watch films on Crackle without issue but on the original firmware Crackle used to buffer quite regularly. Also accessing Google Play doesn't timeout like it used to with the original firmware.

I realise that people have their favourite file explorers, File Wrangler will be staying but feel free to disable it and install your preferred app.

As for User Manager, I hadn't tested it extensively until this weekend and did also encounter apps FC'ing when using different profiles. Shall I just yank it from future builds?

Thanks for the information about formatting the internal 'SD storage'. My NAND partitions have been resized for some weeks and the stock Ployer recovery forcibly formats the partitions after a firmware flash. I'll update my HOW-TO with the appropriate CWM steps.

I haven't included any build.prop tweaks to change the identity of the manufacturer or device because Ployer is an officially reconginsed Android device manufacturer.

I'd love to make a CWM flashable .zip but I simply don't have the time right now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Guys. I need help pleas.
So i did flash this firmware using RKBatchTool1.5 when tablet rebooted it went in to the ClockWorkMod Recovery, so i tried to wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partition folowing the instruction, but i managed to only data/factory reset because of unusual swipe confirming action i acidently entered wrong menu where i being asked to navigate to some file (possible it was the install from sd menu) SO i didn't know how to navigate back to previous menu and after some efforts decided to hard reboot.
Witch after i got BOOTLOOP all i can see is ployer blue logo on the black screen. I looked through many forum topics about bootloot and couldnt find the solution AS MY BIGEST PROBLEM is that windows XP dosent recognize tablet at all.

Suddenly it appeared in devise manager as android device but when it not accepting xp drivers provided with RKBatchTool1.5.
Using Moborobo it installed some wired "Android Composite ADB Interface" and the worst thing is after i disconnected tablet from pc i will not apear in device manager again.... until now while im writing this post its suddenly reappeared again but what to do with it I dont know it wont work in ZhuoDaShi and in RKBatchTool1.5 as well

pleas hel people.

Thanks
--------------------------------------------------
Its all good i did it using ADB.
Cheers.

·
Registered
56 Posts
So you sorted it using ADB then? If so good, that is one of the easiest ways to get Momo into bootloader, although you can use ZhuoDashi or if rooted, install Quick Boot (Reboot) from Play Store, I find this is the only way to get RKBatchTool to see the Momo (pink/green in box 1). Gotta be careful when using that swipe CWM!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oh yes i did, after it appeared in the device manager, I knew what to do. Frustrating part was when PC had no reaction when it was plugged in whatsoever, and only after about 6 hours of experiments is appeared mysteriously for no apperent reason.

Regarding ClockWorckRecovery easy way to use it, is pressing power button as confirmation.

Now I'm about to test run it to see how great it is. So far is great, nice and smooth but time will show.
I like new interface with dock and better keyboard for sure.
After running Antutu benchmark a got result of 9360, previously I get 11270 using TNT firmware 1.
What I really want to achive is good stability and smoothness so if its cost some benchmark points, - I don't mind.

The issues I have so far is of strange placement of icons in landscape mode on far side of screen its kind of fits only halfway... Is it a feature or glitch.. More like second I think.
Also in horizontal mode bottom line of icons has overlay of titles with top white line of the dock. See screens attached.
It's not a big deal really, but for perfection sake I wonder if it's easily gift?

Thanks author, you doing great gob.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's likely you just need to tweak the dpi settings, Flexion states that he won't edit the build.prop ('master' config file) so this should be the same as that from Ployer, so I guess it is in another config somewhere. You could investigate or experiment if you feel so inclined! There are many ways to tweak this from direct command line edit to install an app....It's a non-issue for me however....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks, I will try finding app I guess, howewer I'm not quite sure how to put this in to words... Pleas give me direction for search if u can.
What is it am looking for? Is it caled icons placement on descktop issue or adjusting icons grid placement? Or whatever its called...

Cheers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,

The icon placement issue is known, but not something that can be fixed via the Launcher2 APK as far as I'm aware. I personally use Nova Launcher which works great.

To be clear, I'm have made changes to the build.prop but mostly to remove obsolete entries. I'm not prepared to change the device/manufacturer identities, but if changing the dpi can fix the icon placement without introducing any other issues then I'd be interested in making that change. Any feedback on dpi tweaks is welcome.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for advise I'm using now Nova launcher myself and very happy about it, its very light and simple.
Trying to find other solutions was unsuccessful and using new launcher is best option.
By the way running another time Antutu benchmark I got 11124 so it pretty much same add before. ( I don't know how much reliable this scores is but I still using it as some sort of reference)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Guys. I need help pleas.
So i did flash this firmware using RKBatchTool1.5 when tablet rebooted it went in to the ClockWorkMod Recovery, so i tried to wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partition folowing the instruction, but i managed to only data/factory reset because of unusual swipe confirming action i acidently entered wrong menu where i being asked to navigate to some file (possible it was the install from sd menu) SO i didn't know how to navigate back to previous menu and after some efforts decided to hard reboot.
Witch after i got BOOTLOOP all i can see is ployer blue logo on the black screen.
--------------------------------------------------
Its all good i did it using ADB.
Cheers.
I went through a similar scenario when I flashed the rom, the tablet froze in JB desktop while installing an app. I did a hard reboot (hold power for 10 secs) tablet booted into CWM I choose reboot and it went to on going Ployer boot screen it was like that the following day. The Ployer device is seen by Win 64x only as Android Composite ADB

Currently the only thing accessible now is CWM and it won't flash any rom I have in *.zip format from the ext_sdcard. Internal SD won't mount to be written to. I am familiar with DOS environment and can initiate ADB what is next move any ideas? Does anyone have a rom that will flash within CWM or saved data, system etc backup created by CWM for the Ployer Momo8 IPS?

Currently investigating
http://teamw.in/ADBSideload

ADB sideload tranfers the rom.zip file and proceeds to fail installation the same as 'load zip from ext_sdcard' what gives?

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you PC see it as Android Composite ADB, it means you can use ADB command 'adb reboot recovery' to switch it in recovery mode, after that windows indetfy it as needed (I don't remember , like momo8 or something) but the point is that in RKBatchTool1.5 light will turn green or pink, if its pink you pres 'switch' and its go green, ready tu upgrade/flash.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You have to be in bootloader mode to flash from RKBatchTool, if you have ADB set up you can issue an:

adb reboot bootloader

After which you can install the correct drivers (in windows) and reflash the firmware of your choice.

Be aware that there is no visual indication on the Momo that you are in bootloader mode or that the device is even alive at all! Your computer however should indicate otherwise when plugged in via USB.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys gonna do some more work on the advice rendered
Thanks Guys
if you were here in Ireland I'd buy you both a pint of Guinness or drink of your choice

The fix for me as you guys pointed out was to realise that 'ADB bootloader' doesn't indicate the tablet state so...
When I typed the command into ADB I was lucky and heard the PLoyer disconnect and reconnect in windows I checked the hardware manager and there was the Ployer with RockChip driver installed ready to allow flash via 'RKBatchTool' all is well an I've learned something. Thanks again very much appreciated.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts