Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
The Hand That Smites
652 Posts
This is not my ROM. All credit goes to Gojimi and the other developers of VEGAn.

VEGAn-TAB GingerEdition STABLE RC1

RC1? What happened to BETA? I skipped it... this was a MAJOR overhaul of code and features (this is one reason it has been a month since the experimentals stopped) and has really reached the stable build point. So what's missing? Nothing except High Definition Video Hardware Decoding... not sure if we will ever get that one working right on Gingerbread. Here are some of the feature additions and changes that have been done since the last Experimental:

* Switched over to newer Camera Rotation Fix
* Added Tablet Friendly Launcher VTL.Launcher to the launcher options
* Screenshots/DDMS fixed via several commits to Nvidia GIT etc.
* Added in the External Storage Format and Unmount
* Pulled in the Tablet Tweaks
* Modified Tablet Tweaks to not Break our Device or Google API's
* Fixed up the Fullscreen handling issue
* Edited Statusbar buttons to fit with VEGAn-TAB Styling
* Newer Boot Animation - lowered quality to improve boot performance and speed
* Fixed layout of Launcher and added settings to settings page if default
* Added basic Google Apps to avoid confusion
* Added Tablet version of Quick Office
* Added Basic Tablet Keyboard Layout for English version of Gingerbread Keyboard
* Changed Default Browser User Agent to Desktop
* Added code to remove Phone Settings without losing market functionality
* Lot's of code cleanups and minor bug fixes

The Google apps has already been applied. Market WILL NOT SHOW in app drawer until you CONNECT TO A WIRELESS NETWORK. ONLY THE APPS THAT YOU CAN'T GET FROM THE MARKET ARE INSTALLED. Stuff like GMAIL, MAPS, etc. need installed through market. This way you will easily stay up to date on those apps. MY APPS in the market WORKS if it doesn't for you then you have restored something you shouldn't data or app wise or not followed the directions correctly.

Also installed is the QuickOfficeHD (pulled from adam).

SINCE THIS IS A MAJOR RELEASE VERSION - NO MATTER THE ROM YOU ARE COMING FROM YOU MUST WIPE DATA! - Use Titanium Backup or similar to save app data. HOWEVER do NOT restore any system app data.... ie. Wireless Settings, CMParts Setting, etc.

After the first boot, and all the setup screens, PROMPTLYreboot the tablet to finish installation.

Install this using CWM 0.8 only at the moment. Till we can figure out why some tablets have issues with newer CWM versions.

****The Latest Flash player from the market now works. Latest google maps now works download from the market.****

Internal Memory is mapped to SDCard and external SD Card is mapped to SDCard2.

Quadrant = 2100

Nenamark = 41 fps

DOWNLOAD is now in the downloads section here: http://vegantab.gojimi.com/downloads
Direct Download: http://vegantab.gojimi.com/download/...ony-signed.zip
MD5: a90c97381d156ed5f43cdd2030472689 VEGAn-GE-7.0.0-RC1-Harmony-signed.zip

I am going to work on a more specialized installation instructions set soon I think. Installation is just like the experimentals through CWM wipe data/cache/dalvik... no exceptions. It could take up to 5 minutes to boot the first time as it is building the dalvik database and cache. Remember to reboot after first boot and setup screens to finish installation. ---- If you have issues booting the first time (ie. boot loops) and you have never run any other gingerbread build before then you probably need to NVFLASH to stock before you can run any GingerBread builds as there is a partition issue from factory on your device.... NVFLASH to stock will repartition everything for you.

Bug Reports can be done here in the forum for now... though I am working on http://vegantab.gojimi.com/bugtracker but we are having some issues with new user signups at the moment.

SCREENSHOTS:

For support from the developer of this ROM, please use the link below to his original thread.

ORIGINAL THREAD: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1031250
__________________​

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think I am going to have to try this ROM out along with the TTx .9.02 from Roebeet. Tried VEGAn-tab before and liked it but prefered the TnT-lite series, however
GingerBread....must try it out.....and then CM7.....and then.....oh the pain.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been running this ROM since the hour it was release. I love the new VTL Launcher gojimi has integrated. This is a great ROM for daily use.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah I like this ROM quite a bit. It is missing the hardware video so it does not play nice with HD quality videos, but everything else is smoking. If they get the video driver issue straightened out (now that nVidia is changing their tune a little) this will be really good.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes, I agree...

After starting with the stock ROM, then moving to the stock enhancement pack, then Roebeet's TNT Lite ROM, then Caulkin's ROM, this is my currently installed ROM. Overall, I find it to be very smooth and stable. I love the new GB components. This build is sweet, UNLESS you want decent video playback.

I may end up going back to TNT Lite until hopefully the nvidia driver issue is sorted out...

-c

·
Registered
59 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Was running 5.1.1 and really liked it (tried TnT lite and GAdam too) but had to send my gtab back due to a hardware audio problem. Can't wait for the replacement to arrive tomorrow to try this out. My original plan was to restore the previous tab's 5.1.1 nandroid b/u, but I guess my plans have changed.

I know there's some issue with the Viewsonic update server. If it's not working, do I have to manually update to 3588 before flashing this rom?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Very solid rom with a brilliant custom launcher built in aside from the lack of hardware acceleration. It is what a tablet should be IMHO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can't wait to flash this Rom tonight. I just got the Gtab yesterday, rooted it within 2 hours, and put CM7 on it. But it looks too much like my phone (DInc w/CM7), so I want to try something different.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can someone help me on this? I have the Viewsonic gTablet and am using CW 08 version did the complete repartition to 2048 and 0, flashed the new Ginger Edition Rom as mentioned on here, wiped all the cache and system reset exactly as it says, but when I try to boot up the device it just stays on the ViewSonic flash screen forever until I turn it off eventually. What did I miss in the install? I had Vegan 5.1 on here before and it was fine but I want to try this new one bad!

Update- I had a friend NVFlash me back to the base rom and I was all set from there....im up and running with Gingerbread! Awesome!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I really like this new Rom, I have noticed a few FC's however, the one that really annoys me is with WeatherBug Elite, will not run at all, FC from the getgo. Otherwise I'll stick with this and see how things evolve further....the profiles built in it a nice touch....mine serves as a family tablet so its nice to have different profiles for the different users in our house! Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have seen the same issue with Weatherbug Elite. Normal Weatherbug seems to work just fine. I've tried reinstalling as well as fix permissions, cache cleaning, etc. Every time I get the same FC (or multiples in some cases) when I start up the program. I'm not sure if this would have any positive effect but I double checked compatibility mode and that didn't do a thing either.

That said, its a small price to pay for this excellent ROM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, the replacement tab arrived and I installed this rom. I love the layout and add-ons, but the driver issues made me go back to 5.1.1. I noticed a bit more instability with gingerbread, but not being able to play videos with resolutions above VGA without stuttering, fc's and audio sync issues is a no starter for me. I like everything about the rom beyond the driver issue, I would gladly return if/when the driver issue gets resolved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm new to all this stuff. I've got this ROM running on my GTab. I really like it. I just got a tablet to play around with and I've been having fun learning about all the different things that can be done. I quickly learned about the importance of back ups and NVFlash. Luckily there is tons of info out there to help a poor, bumbling fool like me out. I've had no problems with this since the day I installed it. The first day that it was available.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also have seen the same issue with Weatherbug Elite. Normal Weatherbug seems to work just fine. I've tried reinstalling as well as fix permissions, cache cleaning, etc. Every time I get the same FC (or multiples in some cases) when I start up the program. I'm not sure if this would have any positive effect but I double checked compatibility mode and that didn't do a thing either.

That said, its a small price to pay for this excellent ROM.
I installed weatherbug elite again today, and it looks like the FC issue is resolved. I seem to remember taking an update for WB Elite earlier in the week, so maybe that fixed it. I recommend giving it another try.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am loving this ROM. I thought about CM7 but like this a lot more.
Yep, I went to this after running CM7 nightly 41 a couple days, mostly to get screenshots (no screenshots possible on CM7). Put the latest OC kernel in, and run at 1.2ghz. Update to the latest launcher (up to 1.6.1) - pretty darn solid, and responsive as all get out.

Hoping they get the video accel worked out soon, it's the only thing that's less than ideal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Best ROM on the GTab I have run to date and the reason why I decided to keep my Gtab (at least until the ASUS Transformer hits) rather than give it away to a lucky relative. Still have issues with Weatherbug Elite fc'ing.

No issues with ROM when paired with a bluetooth Holux M-1000 GPS (also tested successfully with the Holux GPSlim236) and a Stowaway Sierra Bluetooth Keyboard. Simultaneous connection works but then fails quickly. Voice navigation works great via hotspot on my HTC Inspire. Garmin, TomTom and others alike are counting their days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I flashed this ROM over TNTLite 4.2.5 this weekend. Thought I'd give it a try before moving on to a 1.2 based version of Vegan or ML.
At the start I wiped only the data, flashed the ROM, but tablet hung at the splash screen for an inordinate amount of time - 30 odd minutes.
Went back to the beginning, wiped/formatted the data partition (relying on faulty memory of the actual options in CWM), re-flashed the ROM, and everything is A-OK.

It's an interesting ROM with some nice features and I think I have more exploring to do. The only issue I've had is Pandora FCs right off. May back off to an earlier version of Pandora.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts