Android Tablets Forum banner

[ROM - 1.1] GtabComb beta 3.1 (updated 7/11/2011) - [G-TABLET/ZPAD T2]

21K views 34 replies 22 participants last post by  sitdan9 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This thread will not be updated in the future. I just do not have enough time to maintain this. I will only maintain this rom in xda

STANDARD DISCLAIMER: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. By running this firmware mod, you agree that there is the possibility that you may brick your device and neither myself, SlateDroid nor Viewsonic are responsible for supporting you if that occurs. In this case, it is required that you learn and setup nvflash prior to running this mod.

This is a port of AdamComb with pershoot kernel and some tweak for performance and usability. Thanks all the greatest Adam, Vegan, Gtab devs that make this rom possible.

Install instruction:
1. Make sure the version of your bootloader and download the corresponding rom
2. I guess most of you should already be in CWM, but if you are not. update the recovery to CWM first. Stock recovery might work but you need to do some work and CWM is much better anyway.
3. Wipe data / Factory reset. You will most likely have problem without doing this.
4. Using the "install from sdcard" to install and enjoy.

Features: Very fast and stable

For AdamComb features, check its original post at tabletroms.

1. Overclocked by default, max frequesy adjusted by battery level.
-- you could use setcpu to adjust the min, max frequency. The build-in script for cpu management respect the setting from setcpu
2. Tweaked internal storage & SD card read speeds
3. Annoying ads in programs are blocked
4. Calkulin's battery saving script
5. data2loop works super well
6. pre-load some useful modules at boot time, e.g. cifs, ntfs, utf8, tun.

Known Issues:
1. Anything related to hardware acceleration
2. Camera App is removed because it does not work.

Beta 3.1:
[BL1.1]
link: http://www.mediafire.com/?0cwkg59u6ict3t2
[BL1.2]
link: http://www.mediafire.com/?7q2w1ibvsilijar

changelog:
1. Update to AdamComb v0.2. the original wifi location seems to be broken occasionally and this one fix the wifi location permanently. the mount point for usb disk has been changed to work on media scanning.

Beta 3.0: AdamComb + pershoot kernel
[BL1.1]
link: http://www.mediafire.com/?7wx3ati1135a1o1

changlog:
1. switch to AdamComb base. This bring us HQ flash and more responsive and better UI with several other enhancements.
2. fix some issues after switching to AdamComb base.

Beta 2.1: NI Adam HC + pershoot kernel
link: http://www.mediafire.com/?95tbbfhb7stht6z

changlog:
1. update to latest NI adam HC (07/05/2011 build)
2. update to pershoot latest kernel (07/02/2011 build)
3. remove NI Adam branding
4. remove some apps from system. we are running out of system space and those app could be easily get from market
5. add most small size modules in pershoot kernel. Automatically load ntfs, cifs, utf8, tun by default.
6. some small performance tweak.

Beta 2.0: NI Adam HC + Clemsyn kernel
link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?o25bc1azc01are2

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
======================================================================
These are the old Roms that based on Roebee's BOS. Check Roebeet's orginal post for more detail.

Besides the greatness of BOS, this rom also have some additional features:

1. Overclocked by default (max frequesy adjusted by battery level)
2. Tweaked internal storage & SD card read speeds
3. Annoying ads in programs are blocked
4. Calkulin's battery saving script

Known Issues:
1. All the BOS issues apply here

link:
alpha 1.6 (based on BOS_a6.0)

Note: users in other roms have mix experience on data2loop. It works very well for me, but I do not know how it will work for you. If it works well, you should expect data intesive apps (e.g. email, galary, market, etc) load much faster. If you do not know what data2loop is and its potential risk, do not flash a1.6.2. a1.6.1 already perform very well. you should wipe user data/factory reset before flashing a1.6.2 if you decide to try it.

--a1.6.2 (ext2 data2loop enabled. Very fast. Quardrant score: 3923)
http://www.mediafire.com/?5arqmra5lm082m5

--a1.6.1 (fix pc usb mount)
http://www.mediafire.com/?3d3462x5d658i6u

--a1.6.0
http://www.mediafire.com/?tjcvahig45ckwi2

alpha 1.5 (based on BOS_a5.2)
http://www.mediafire.com/?25ah3hrj1h1iazt

#9 ·
Def. going to have to check this one out when i get home, something about 1.2 bootloader i do not like (although never tried). For now i can get a glimpse of what is going on with the HC development, and hope 1.1 bootloader is continued to be supported! I am guessing we should check Roebeet's posts for issues/problems currently?

Thanks a lot!

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yep, a nice option for those who either have issues with a 1.2 ROM or just don't want to jump yet. This popped up on XDA, as well.

As for the "continued support" question, that's an important thing to ask. We really don't know what's going to happen, yet. If NI really releases a full HC ROM that we can port, that might up been the future ROM for us. but if it's a .36 kernel and only for 1.2, that might be an issue here. But again, we just don't know - their ROM may not work on our device at ALL, even on a 1.2 bootloader.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
OK. I put this over the CM7.1 RC 0 nightly using CWM 2.5.1.8. I did NOT wipe data/cache, as I thought the ROM would do it for me. It installed and booted fine. It is coming up with my old wallpaper and it has a clock on the screen, but there is a blinking cursor in a box that seems to be for a password. I didn't have the tablet locked before.

ANY clue what the password is? Strange . . .

THANKS!

UPDATE: I formatted data partition to get rid of the stuff from CM7.1 nightly and reinstalled. Works like a charm! THANKS so much for porting this over to 1.2 bootloader! I was waiting to make the 1.2 plunge, so it is great to have Honeycomb already.

#14 ·
Thanks for the ROM ... I really like, smooth and fast, few errors ..

One question, because the music comes through the bluetooth? the stereo in my car takes it as phone, and does not play music, as can be set up?
in the other rooms I work well ...

thanks and sorry for my basic English

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
After installing this, I did NOT format the SD card I was using with the CM7 nightlies, but the files are not showing up in recovery unless I actually download them on my laptop and move them to the SD card. Some of the files in Downloads and Bluetooth directories show up in Astro File manager or the stock File Manager, but they have odd filenames. This is an odd problem -- and annoying as well to have to download the ROM and move it to the SD card from a laptop.

The files are on the card, but just not showing up in recovery. ???

(I am correct in using ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.1.8?)

THANKS for any help/suggestions!

#16 ·
In general, I've seen only the special 0.8 created for the Gtablet recommended for 1.1. Roe's 1.2 version is a 3.something.

I've got to say that Data2Loop seems like a great idea. The performance is fantastic. I'm eager to see what happens when (if) NI's Honeycomb beta comes out on 6/27. If we can get Flash on here, All my major concerns are resolved.

#18 ·
#19 ·
Two parter, here. One question, one collection of 'fixes' for various things.

Question: Data2Loop seems to solve so many of the performance problems I've seen with the other versions. This runs as fast as any of the 2.2 roms I tried. What are the potential downsides to having Data2Loop running (other than possible data corruption)?

'Fixes': These aren't really fixes, but they are ways I've got certain things working on this ROM others might be interested in. First, if you have apps that stop working after you reboot (in my case, Samurai II, Air Attack HD, X-Men, Guerrilla Bob), it seems to be an issue with what they install on the SD card. If you use Titanium Backup to move those apps to internal memory, they stick around. Sure, you're using more of the your precious internal space, but it's a pretty big partition anyway on our tablets. Second, Google Earth crashes *UNLESS YOU HAVE GPS WORKING*. If you have an external Bluetooth adapter, use Bluetooth GPS from the market or another such application to create a mock GPS connection. As long as the mock gps agent is on, Google Earth works. I think it works fine on CM7 because CM somehow makes the network location consistently work for GPS searches. If anyone has any idea how it does so and can bring that functionality into a Honeycomb ROM for this device, it would rock. Third, Google Talk seems to have been removed from this ROM. If you get the APK from another (I took it from Flashback a4.1), you can just use a root file manager to copy talk.apk to system/app. It'll start working automatically.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
Had some issues (thank god for nvflash) but finally have it working nicely.(edit running 1.6.2) It really looks good ( my first ROM
) and is a great improvement over the gtab stock.
Is there a way to set up a LAN server? It was pretty simple stuff with the stock rom but I cant figure it out with this one.

dumbass edit
Installed ES File Explorer from market. All is good.

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
Why so many apps are uninstallable ?

I was restoring my apps from CM7 and there is several apps that wouldn't install (gives me a "application not installed" message):

- Samurai II
- PES 2011
- ScummVM
- Even the amazon free application of the day for today (iCook) wouldn't install

I tracked this down to market website and now its saying that these applications are not compatible with my device.

I wondered if its related to build.prop, copied the device related values (name, manufacturer, fingerprint .. etc) from my CM7 build.prop and it didn't make a difference.

Am I the only one seeing this ? Or is it known limitation for HC ?

I have just confirmed with the guys on the 1.2 branch that they don't have the above mentioned issues.

Thanks,

FIXED: CWM Reboot -> FIX Permissions -> Reboot

#28 ·
Thanks for your reply.
Your interpretation is correct for some reason the gtab thought the microSD is the external storage and ignored the mapping that is listed in vold.fstab which indeed maps the internal SD as the microSD.

Any way, fixing permissions (from CWM) did the trick and now these applications installs correctly.

#31 ·
I figured out HoneyComb WiFi uses more power when sleeping than stock based ROMs. GtabComb uses 4% of the battery per hour when sleeping. Stock based ROMs only use 1% per hour.

After much searching I learned Android has something called a WiFi Sleep policy. You can have Android turn off the WiFi radio when the device if put into sleep mode. The "fix" for Honeycomb is to go into Settings > Wireless & networks > Wi-Fi settings > Wi-Fi disconnect policy and change it from the default of "Never (uses more battery power)" to "When screen turns off".

Can this setting change be added to the GtabComb ROM as the default?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.